2014 Silverado QB and I need some 12v help

Ffemtp613

I bought my trailer and after having it plugged in at my house I noticed my battery was dead and not charging. I checked and found power was going to the trailer and I could run all the 110 stuff but no 12 volt equipment would work.

Took the battery out and replaced it. Now we are at a camp site and hooked to 50 amp service and the battery shows only 1/3 powe. I have checked all the breakers and fuses inside the trailer, all are good, I called the salesman who told me to check fuses on the inventor. He doesn't know where the investor is and neither do I.

Any my thoughts would be great.

thanks

john

Last edited by a moderator:

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Re: Bought my 2014 Silverado QB and I need some help

It would not be the inverter, but the converter (converts 120v AC into 12v DC). Probably located behind the cargo bay wall. There are usually 4 to 6 screws that hold that wall in place. My converter has 3 small fuses on it. The converter also plugs into an outlet behind the cargo bay wall. Mine came unplugged one time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

If the battery is not getting charged, there are several possibilities.

• If you have a battery cutoff switch, make sure it's ON.
  • There is a row of 12V DC mini-circuit breakers near the battery, usually covered by a red rubber boot. One is a manual reset breaker that completes the path between Converter and battery. When the battery is charged, and you are NOT plugged into shore power, if no interior lights work, this breaker is probably tripped. There is a teeny, tiny reset button on one breaker. See pictures below. Your breaker arrangement could be different.
  • When plugged into shore power, if the Power Converter is working, and the manual reset breaker is not tripped, a voltmeter will read 13.2 - 13.6 VDC at the battery terminals. Before taking the coach apart, check the main circuit breaker panel inside the coach to make sure the Converter's breaker is not tripped. Flip the breaker OFF and back ON to make sure.

If you need to get to the Power Converter, on many coaches, the rear wall of the pass through basement storage must be taken down. The screws can be located with a magnet. Make sure the Converter plug hasn't vibrated out of the socket - tie it if it has come out. There are typically 2 or 3 blade-type automotive fuses on the Converter. Check them. They will be blown immediately if anyone ever momentarily connects battery terminals to the wrong posts.

If you've been somewhere with electrical problems or a thunderstorm caused a lightning strike nearby, and you don't have an EMS device with surge protection, you could have damaged the Converter. Fortunately, replacements are not very expensive. This type of failure would not be covered by warranty since it's not a factory defect.

Attachments

• Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 40
  • circuit breaker reset.jpg
    circuit breaker reset.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 33

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Once you take down the basement wall, it may resemble this:

ed9cc16ed9f68e6d8714b69672123edb.jpg

Look for this, your converter. It may be mounted differently, or in a different location.
e64a72ece50161ad19e1d5049af2468c.jpg

Ffemtp613

I found the issue.

i moved the basement wall and found the converter, it turned out to be a loose fuse, as soon as I pushed it in, the converter kicked on and we had power.

the people on this forum are simply awesome and I can't thank you all enough for your help and advice.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I found the issue.

i moved the basement wall and found the converter, it turned out to be a loose fuse, as soon as I pushed it in, the converter kicked on and we had power.

the people on this forum are simply awesome and I can't thank you all enough for your help and advice.

Yay! Glad you were able to solve it yourself. That's the beauty of the Heartland Owners Forum, and Club. We are like a family, and like to help each other so we can enjoy our rigs, not have it in the shop all the time for little things.

CoveredWagon

It would not be the inverter, but the converter (converts 120v AC into 12v DC). Probably located behind the cargo bay wall. There are usually 4 to 6 screws that hold that wall in place. My converter has 3 small fuses on it. The converter also plugs into an outlet behind the cargo bay wall. Mine came unplugged one time.

Ours came unplugged as well. That was one cheap "pos" socket that it was plugged into. It wouldn't plug in all the way and kept unplugging itself. It probably came lose from movement in the Rv. It is a 120/125 volt 20 amp socket. I purchased the necessary hardware to replace it. No problems now.