2015 4100HD strange power issue

Towedjmpr

The wife and I just joined the RV community with the purchase of a "slightly" used 4100HD.

So far we are big fans and have enjoyed our first few trips.

This morning the A/C outlet that the DVD player went out along with the other outlet in the kitchen island. I have not located any popped GFCI's and all the breakers seem to be good.

Any suggestions?

danemayer

Towedjmpr,

Congratulations on the new-to-you rig and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

You'll usually find a GFCI outlet with reset button in the bathroom.

If it's not that, check that your power cord is fastened correctly to the trailer side.

Towedjmpr

Thanks Dan.

I now see that the outlet on the forward sofa slide wall is out, as well as the three on the island, and the outside mini-fridge. No blown fuses or tripped breakers. Shore power shows Green and Blue both poles. (Progressive Surge protector) Everything else seems to be functional at this point.

The wife unplugged the mini-fridge last night because she thinks it runs to hot.

The recliners are not working as well. Not looking good.

danemayer

If not the GFCI outlet, it could be a loss of one leg of incoming 50 amp power. If you have 2 A/C units, they're usually on different legs. Are both working? If not, that would indicate a problem at the transfer switch, shore power connection, or power pedestal.

Under slideouts, there may be a junction box where if a wire nut comes off, the wires come apart, resulting in a loss of power to everything downstream. If investigating junction boxes, it's a good idea to get a $20 non-contact voltage tester from your local hardware store. You don't want to start investigating a j-box and get shocked by becoming the path to ground when you touch it.

Last edited:

Garypowell

More than likely Dan has you going down the right trail since multiple outlets are "bad". But just so you'll know HL uses receptacles that have a design where they push the wire into the back to make contact for that receptacle and then the wire goes out the other end. It could be that you have several that are not making contact.

This can be the case when you have just one "out" but with multiple.....probably stick to Dan's info first. Just wanted you to know for future reference and if you pull a plug you can disturb this connection.

Towedjmpr

Pretty sure I found the issue, and it is going to test my aftermarket extended warranty.

Looks like the main power bundle running into the left side frame rail junction came loose and rubbed the front tire. It appears the plastic banding for the slider dry rotted out and no one caught it during the "dealer prep".