2015 Heartland Big Country 3950fb Slides extending when trying to raise landing gear.

I hope this is not a duplicate question. I searched this section of the forum and also looked through the troubleshooting manual and master manual for the leveling system in the HUG section and didn't find anything that exactly explains my situation.

Was helping my father hook up to his fifth wheel for the first time this evening and we ran into a pretty strange issue.

1st when we started the sequence to hook up we would get "feature disabled" displayed and then it wouldn't continue.

2nd when we tried to raise the front of the camper manually the slides would extend out fully before the front of the camper would rise. It would not allow the front to raise at all, no matter the position unless the slides were fully extended.

I think I have figured out the first issue from reading the troubleshooting guide in the HUG section. Apparently, when unhooking the front of the camper must be above level before starting the auto level sequence. If so then we shouldn't get the "feature disabled" message. Hoping someone can confirm this for me.

As for the second problem, I am stumped. I found nothing so far that would explain it.

Thanks,
Jon

danemayer

Hi JonRoberts,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

When you actuate the landing gear, a valve opens to allow fluid to be pumped to or from the landing gear cylinder. When you actuate the slides, a different valve opens. Those same switches also operate the hydraulic pump.

If the slides are moving when the landing gear switch is actuated, it means the valve for the slides is open.

This could be because the slide valve was manually opened at some point in the past. You may have twist knobs near the pump.

Or it could be that the valve is stuck open because of dirt in the valve mechanism. Try operating the slide controls a few times to clear it.

Or it could be a problem with the slide switch having a defect that's applying power to the valve. Might need to pull the switch away from the wall to investigate. If you do, immediately take a good picture with your phone. If any of the wires come off, you can refer to the picture to get them back in the right place.