2015 Landmark Availability / Lead Time On Ordering

aRAYwego

Just got an update from dealer. They installed the new inverter and hooked to a tow veh and same result. Shut down after 30 secs. They are talking to HL to figure out a solution. I leave on vacation Friday. Service tech thinks might need a bigger inverter. I dont know. Read another post on irv2 about the same issue with a BH.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
This seems odd. Are you saying you can't turn on the residential fridge (using the inverter only) a few days before a trip?

We usually turn on our (non-residential) fridge (propane mode) a few days before to get it cool, then load food the day before we leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's totally different. Residential fridge needs the compressor and a cooling fan to run enable to cool. Which is a huge power draw. The RV fridge you and I have only needs 12vdc to power a circuit board while running on LP. Very little power draw with that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

Hunter11

[h=1]sdnative1970, it sounds like I am having the same issue with our new Landmark as you are. When I disconnect the trailer from shore power and try and switch the residential fridge over to the inverter it will run for about 30 seconds to 1 minute then shutdown. The fridge is at operating temp when I do this so it is not trying to cool it down just maintain while we are on the road.[/h]

aRAYwego

Hunter11:361908 said:
[h=1]sdnative1970, it sounds like I am having the same issue with our new Landmark as you are. When I disconnect the trailer from shore power and try and switch the residential fridge over to the inverter it will run for about 30 seconds to 1 minute then shutdown. The fridge is at operating temp when I do this so it is not trying to cool it down just maintain while we are on the road.[/h]

Hunter it looks like we are having the same issue. My Landmark is at the dealer now. For everyone who replied on this thread I am going to post future comments on hunters thread because I kind of hijacked this one and the title doesnt really match the issues. Will be easier for anyone else with this issue to find info over there maybe?

porthole

Retired
sdnative1970, it sounds like I am having the same issue with our new Landmark as you are. When I disconnect the trailer from shore power and try and switch the residential fridge over to the inverter it will run for about 30 seconds to 1 minute then shutdown. The fridge is at operating temp when I do this so it is not trying to cool it down just maintain while we are on the road.

By any chance did you take a voltage reading off the batteries before and after inverter turn on? The inverter will have a low voltage shut down as part of the programming. And it may be something that has too high of a threshold set.

Hunter11

Duane, no I did not get a reading before and after. I do not have my good multi meter with me. We hope to be home tomorrow so maybe I can mess with it more this weekend.

porthole

Retired
Duane, no I did not get a reading before and after. I do not have my good multi meter with me. We hope to be home tomorrow so maybe I can mess with it more this weekend.

That would be a good start. You could also have a bad battery and /or a loose battery cable connection.

I have no idea what that Magnum inverter will draw when the fridge stats up. But, I can tell you that a Heart Interface 2000 watt inverter running off 2/0 marine grade battery cable will draw in excess of 150 DC amps running a 1500 watt heater.

I just mention that as a reference.

Last edited:
So the final word on this was faulty inverter. HL sent a new one to the dealership and now im just trying to find the time to get the trailer down there for a swap out. I did find out that the inverter is ONLY to be used when the trailer is hooked to the truck. Guessing you need the constant charging of batteries for it to handle the load.

Are you sayng that you cannot run the residential fridge overnight without power??? That does NOT seem right. With 2 batteries, you should be able to run for at least 9 hours without power. Where does it say NOT to run it unless hooked up to a running truck? That may change my mind in the residential fridge.

aRAYwego

Found out that was bad info. You CAN run them without being hooked to the truck. You just need fo make sure the inverter is the appropriate size. They installed a 2000w and all is good. I love the residential refrigerator

danemayer

While connected to the tow vehicle, the trailer batteries will be getting some charge from the tow vehicle alternator. This will partially offset the battery drain from running the frig.

aRAYwego

danemayer:362428 said:
While connected to the tow vehicle, the trailer batteries will be getting some charge from the tow vehicle alternator. This will partially offset the battery drain from running the frig.

Understood but I was told that you could only run the fridge off the inverter when attached to the truck. Found out that is not the case. With the correct size inverter, you can power the fridge whenever you want. Until you hit minimum input voltage of course.

sdnative, I purchased a 15 LM Savanah, in June of this year. I had problems with my inverter. I could not operated the fridge using the inverter. Evidently the manufacturer (Magna) states the inverter be installed in the horizontal plane only. Heartland had some mods made to the new inverters which enable installation in the vertical plane. Heartland sent me a new one and unit has worked perfectly. RetiredUSN aka Larry

danemayer

sdnative, I purchased a 15 LM Savanah, in June of this year. I had problems with my inverter. I could not operated the fridge using the inverter. Evidently the manufacturer (Magna) states the inverter be installed in the horizontal plane only. Heartland had some mods made to the new inverters which enable installation in the vertical plane. Heartland sent me a new one and unit has worked perfectly. RetiredUSN aka Larry

Larry,

I can't account for your being told that the issue was orientation of the device, but as explained in the 3Q Heartland Highlights Newsletter (page 25 - link) , the issue was that the refrigerator manufacturer changed the compressor, and the new part required more power at startup than the old one. The modification to the inverters allows the inverter to deal with the increased power demand.

Last edited by a moderator: