2016 NT 28BRS brake replacement

Mattman

Hey guys,
My trailer says the axles are 4400lb axles. When looking at e trailer for my camper they only recommended the 3.5k brake replacements. Not the 4.5. Is the 3.5k the factory kit? Or do I need to pay extra for the 4.4K kits.
Should I consider replacing the drums or not yet? I only pulled one wheel off to check the status. So not sure about the other 3. But nothing obviously wrong about the drum.
Thanks for the input.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

wdk450

E-trailer has an advice phone and internet chat help. What brand is your axles. Have you contacted the axle manufacturer, or checked their parts website?

Bogie

Just my 2¢ worth. I would contact e-trailer and ask them why they recommend a lesser brake kit. Personally, I don't think I would go with the 3.5. On an emergency stop, you want as much breaking power as you can muster.

With regard to the drums. You could certainly have them turned. But that comes with a cost as well. The last time I did a break replacement, it turned out that new drums were not that much more expensive than turning the old ones. Though the cost of turning can vary widely, depending on where you live.

mlpeloquin

We did no have 4.5k brakes. That being said, the best thing we ever did is change over to disk brakes. What a big difference and a lot safer. Stopping distance became shorter.

Mattman

I'm open to disc brakes. If the choice is double the cost for the 4K brakes versus just doing the up grade I will definitely consider the up grade. But when looking at the bearings and seals for it, they all come up as the 3.5K.
I would go ask the dealer I got it from, but camping world bought them out. So not sure if I will get the same kinda service I use to get there. I can try to stop and ask. Doubt I will get my 10% discount I use to get on parts.

david-steph2018

I'm open to disc brakes. If the choice is double the cost for the 4K brakes versus just doing the up grade I will definitely consider the up grade. But when looking at the bearings and seals for it, they all come up as the 3.5K.
I would go ask the dealer I got it from, but camping world bought them out. So not sure if I will get the same kinda service I use to get there. I can try to stop and ask. Doubt I will get my 10% discount I use to get on parts.

At the 2019 National Rally in Goshen, Ind., we had Performance Trailer Braking install disc brakes on our Road Warrior, one of the best upgrades we have performed. I would suggest connecting them and see about the details of purchasing the kits.