3" Valve...Is this Right?

gotlieb

So, I'm trying to fix my leaking black tank and manage to get the valve out and cleaned up (as much as I could). It appears the valve has open spaces along both sides of the valve. Is this right? Seems like it would leak liquid, but maybe the seals cover this up enough to prevent a leak? The 1-1/2 inch valves were not this way.

It's dark out, so I took the picture with the valve up against a light. You can see light shining through both sides of the valve. I couldn't find any good pictures online, so thought I would ask here before I ordered a new one.

Also, when I took this off, I noticed that the valve moved around in the casing quite a bit. Is that normal?

Thanks!

DSC01992.jpg

brianharrison

Nope - that is not right.

Should not be any light.

I happen to have a replacement 3 inch from heartland that I need to replace on my unit sitting on the bench. Here are a couple of pictures. First one closed, send one partially opened. Both with light behind.

Brian

BTW - My valves are Valterra Bladex;

Attachments

• DSC05186.jpg
    DSC05186.jpg
    481.6 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC05187.jpg
    DSC05187.jpg
    702.7 KB · Views: 69

olcoon

Yes, that area on each side of the valve is normal. At least it was on the one that I had to replace, and the one I replaced it with. As far as it moving around, I'd guess that's probably normal also. I don't remember how mine was the last time I had it out. BTW, I had to replace mine a couple of years ago, and had to buy the valve, AND cable. I was told they don't sell the valve by itself. Doesn't make sense to me, but all the online research I did, I couldn't just find the valve. Also, the valve with a "T" handle like without the cable won't work, at least I couldn't see how it would work.

brianharrison

Yes, that area on each side of the valve is normal. As far as it moving around, I'd guess that's probably normal also. I don't remember how mine was the last time I had it out. BTW, I had to replace mine a couple of years ago, and had to buy the valve, AND cable. I was told they don't sell the valve by itself. Doesn't make sense to me, but all the online research I did, I couldn't just find the valve. Also, the valve with a "T" handle like without the cable won't work, at least I couldn't see how it would work.

Are you sure? I cannot see how it would seal. Maybe I am missing something? Help me out. A different type of valve? Seal in the mounting flanges?

Brian

olcoon

Brian,
We must have posted at about the same time. Looking at your photos, it looks like you've got a different valve than mine. Is it a Valterra?

gotlieb

Looks like those pictures are with the outside fitting attached with the seal in between. My picture was of the valve by itself.

Pretty sure mine is a Valterra Bladex as well. The seals are pretty big and fit in snugly. Maybe that's enough.

They do sell the valve piece separately. Found it on Valterra's website, also on Amazon. $14 on Amazon, so I might just order a fresh one.

Would be a shame if I had it all torn apart and thought the valve was okay and it wasn't. It's not a very pleasant job replacing one of these.

brianharrison

Hold on - I am going to take the valve out of the holder.

EDIT: I learned something this evening.

There is a clearance on the side of the bladex valves that is sealed by the seal in the holder. Apologies Olcoon.

Attachments

• DSC05194.jpg
    DSC05194.jpg
    680.2 KB · Views: 59

olcoon

None necessary Brian! Of course I've never (:eek::angel:) done anything like that! At least not in the last 3 minutes!!!!