30 KWs for 3 days normal?

lakeside

New 2014 Bighorn 5er running a Norcold 1200 side by side refrigerator on AC, converter/charger for two 12V batteries, and the normal ghost draw on a LPG/CO2 sensor used 30KWs in a 72 hour period (3 full days), or 10 KWs per day. No other AC usage in the unit over this 3 day period. Does anyone know if this is normal or excessive usage?

Lakeside

GOTTOYS

Doesn't sound unreasonable to me. We Winter in AZ and run our fridge on elec as well as our water heater. Seldom run the A/C. Our electric bills usually run $80-90.00 a month based on .17 per KWH. Don

danemayer

10 KWs per 24 hours would be 10,000 watts / 24 = a bit over 400 watts running continuously. The power converter on a Bighorn can draw up to 12 amps or 1440 watts, but of course is not continuous at that level. It provides the power not only to keep the batteries charged, but also to run your reading lamps, dining lamps, bathroom lamps, bedroom lamps, fans, awning motor, etc.

400 watts per hour doesn't sound all that high.

No hot water heater? No television? No coffee maker? No toaster?

lakeside

10 KWs per 24 hours would be 10,000 watts / 24 = a bit over 400 watts running continuously. The power converter on a Bighorn can draw up to 12 amps or 1440 watts, but of course is not continuous at that level. It provides the power not only to keep the batteries charged, but also to run your reading lamps, dining lamps, bathroom lamps, bedroom lamps, fans, awning motor, etc.

400 watts per hour doesn't sound all that high.

No hot water heater? No television? No coffee maker? No toaster?

Dane, I was away from the RV working at another site and the DW was home (not at RV) for those 3 days. The meter had just been read before we left and I read it when we got back. No other usage over what was in my original post. It seems from what others have posted, that we are in the ball park. It just seemed like a lot to me, but I accept what others have shared. Thanks to all.

Lakeside

pegmikef

I would think the converter would probably be working a little harder than in a regular Big Horn because of the draw on the batteries by the inverter for the reefer.

Kbvols

Our rural electric Carrier where we have a cabin and keep our rv has an app that shows daily kw usage. I looked at 20 days where I know we were not there we averaged 3.6kw per day. The only thing drawing power is a modern refrigerator and an older 50 ' s beer fridge and a dehumidifier and the rv plugged in powering only the converter. Likewise I looked at 10 days where I knew we where there and we averaged 10.2kw per day. Which would include the above plus some lights, tv, air conditioner usually only at night. Hope this helps.