3585 Fresh Water Tank Failure

Ziarig

Fresh Water Tank on our 6-month old 3585 Bighorn has developed a crack on the bottom of the tank, see attached photo. Failure occurred on first water fill following three months of storage during which time tank was empty. Outside Temperature was above freezing at time of tank fill/rupture. My best estimate on when complete failure set in was approximately 5-hours after tank was filled. Has anyone experienced anything similar? Heartland has requested dealer send photo of damage before they authorize repair under warranty.

Attachments

• 3585 water tank failure.jpg
    3585 water tank failure.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 86

danemayer

Hi Ziarig,

Sorry you've got this problem to deal with. The factory request for pictures is pretty common with many types of warranty claims. It does seem odd that your tank would crack, but it may be that there was a defect in the tank.

I don't recall any forum posts recently about cracked fresh water tanks, so it may not be a common problem. It may just have been a weak spot from the tank manufacturing process.

Your description sounds like it rules out a crack from freezing.

Another possible cause is overfilling. If you have the 4-way Anderson valve that gets switched in order to fill the fresh tank, as I understand it, if overfilled, the tank should overflow without cracking. But the if you have the gravity fill system, it comes with warnings that it's possible to cause tank damage by overfilling.

In any event, I'm sure the dealer can get this all fixed up and get you back on the road pretty soon.

Ziarig

Don & Ann,

Thanks for your reply. Tank was only filled to 1/3 capacity. Did not want to have the extra weight while on the road.

Earle Neill (Ziarig)
Cloudcroft NM