4 Entry Steps (vs. 3) on my Cyclone 4200 (delivered 12-Sep14)

Does anyone know why my 4200 Cyclone just picked-up yesterday has 4-steps on the pull down ladders. Just wondering if the overall height of the trailer is different ??, or has the manufacture shortened the inside height of the trailer ??, or do the axles sit higher from the ground?? All pics that I have viewed from either the Heartland site or the internet dealer pics all show 3-steps on the entrance pull down ladders.:confused:

danemayer

Re: Cyclone 4200 Delivered to Dealer on Sept. 12, 2014 has 4-Steps not 3-Steps to Enter into Trailer ??

The stairs with 4 steps usually have the steps closer together vertically, making it easier to climb the steps if you have mobility issues, like bad knees. And I'm pretty sure that more steps = higher cost. If you want to trade with someone who has 3 steps, you can probably get a lot of volunteers.

Snaredrum

Re: Cyclone 4200 Delivered to Dealer on Sept. 12, 2014 has 4-Steps not 3-Steps to Enter into Trailer ??

My 2015 Cyclone 4100 HD has 4 steps. Love them.

Send from a Samsung 4S using Tapatalk

Dryer

Our 4200 has 3 steps

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

I would love to have the 4 steps. I would trade you in a heartbeat my 3 steps for yours.

DDryer

We picked up our 4200 in June and it only has 3 steps. Does anyone know if they intend to replace the 3 step ladders with the 4 step ones? It would be much more convenient to have 4 steps instead of 3.

danemayer

We picked up our 4200 in June and it only has 3 steps. Does anyone know if they intend to replace the 3 step ladders with the 4 step ones? It would be much more convenient to have 4 steps instead of 3.

If you're asking whether Heartland intends to upgrade your rig, I've not heard of them retrofitting earlier builds after changes are implemented.

DDryer

I am not asking them to upgrade my rig, I am simply stating that if they found a reason to use 4 step ladders (which are obviously more safe due to the height of the rig) instead of 3 step ones then we should receive replacement ladders for our rig. It only makes sense and do not feel like that is asking for an upgrade; I compare it to a customer satisfaction replacement that is done on vehicles. It's not necessarily a recall but a replacement that the company felt necessarily after production, therefore in an effort to make things fair they offer to replace the part with the new one for the purchasers prior to the change.

I didn't mean to start a argument for other earlier buyers in my quest to find out why Heartland changed the steps. I was merely curious to see what the reason was??. I agree with the moderator, Heartland is not going to upgrade changes from previous models to the builds today. I am in the very same predicament as there are options that would have been potential deal breakers that are not found in my trailer that I just purchased. My immediate concerns are that these options are still available and that I can add them if I really need too. My situation was that I was shown an earlier trailer build and the one that I received was different. Had I been given these circumstances up front, I would have either bargained in the options that I didn't want changed or maybe bought a different trailer. Options like the 7000 lbs axles, HDMI prep and the refrigerator with the ice cube and water dispenser on the door are now out of reach and cant be changed anymore without significant service and costs to the trailer. These were major selling features as well as others which lead to my trade-in for this new trailer. My trade-in was already sold and breaking the deal would have left me with no trailer and what????.

Bob&Patty

My question to the OP. Was this trailer a dealer stock unit or did you order it. If you ordered it, did you look at any "build sheets" your dealer should have had? All options are available from that and any others your dealer should/could have called HL and asked about before the order was placed.

danemayer

why Heartland changed the steps. I was merely curious to see what the reason was

4 step assemblies have a higher cost than 3 step and are a convenience usually found on high-end models. I can't speak for Heartland, but I can guess that A.J. may have decided that a 4 step assembly was a better match to the rest of the features in the 4200.

If you really want to find out, call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Ask for A.J. Jones, the Toy Hauler General Manager. He can tell you about why the various changes were made.

By the way, last time I shopped refrigerators at home, french door models were more expensive than side-by-sides - perhaps another high-end appointment.

DDryer

We ordered our trailer from the dealer and when I asked for an options sheet, I was told there was not one available. This is our first camper and we ordered it with every factory option (including full body paint) except for the Canadian arctic package. I felt this was a smart move since we were not sure if we were going to like camping or not, but with just about every option, we should be able to resell it easily. I am very disappointed to hear that despite this decision and purchasing the newest model of this camper, there are now more upgraded features available for the same price we paid. I feel like any upgrades should be done with the following years model. I will certainly be contacting heartland in the morning to see if heartland is willing to rectify this issue.

Bob&Patty

If your dealer told you the options sheets were not available.....he flat out lied to you. How did he order your coach without one. You can download them here on the forum. Sorry....you have dealer problem...not a HL problem. As far as HL helping you now....they might...but on your dime. HL can't be held to account for a stupid dealer.

torque1911

My dealer has about 6 cyclones & only 1 has the 4steps & the gf really likes that option ! Think I might buy 1 on lot seems like ordering is a pain in the A!!

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
torque1911,
These four step assemblies are only around $200.
Get the Cyclone you want and either negotiate for the 4 steps to be included by the dealer, or just go buy them.
I would not take a rig other than the one you really want, just because of the steps! They could even switch steps with another rig. Trace

Last edited:

Snaredrum

Maybe the build date has some bearing on if they have 3 or 4 steps. My built date is 8-28-14 and has 4 steps on both doors and its a 4100 HD. Maybe builds before/earlier has 3 steps. I know the Raptor I looked at had 4 in the front and 3 in the rear. That kind of turned me off thinking they did that to save a couple bucks.

Send from a Samsung 4S using Tapatalk