6 V batteries

Phatkd

I don't know very much about batteries. Which leads me to my question. I have had the rig plugged into 110v power at home until yesterday. When I went to remove the batteries I noticed frost on the outside of them, but they were not frozen. We have had some rather cold weather the last few weeks, but yesterday was above freezing. I also have had the furnace running for the last 2 weeks inside the coach.

Did I wreck the batteries by leaving them in the unit while it was well below freezing outside?

Thanks,..Kris

Lynn1130

I read some place that a charged battery is good down to -75. A discharged battery will freeze around 25.

Phatkd

Thanks guys. I probably overpayed for the batteries ($240 per battery), but that gives me peace of mind.

TeJay

Responses are right on. When a B+ (battery) is fully charged the electrolyte is 64% water and 36% sulfuric acid. That mixture has a freezing point well below zero. I can't remember the actual temperature. As a B+ becomes discharged the the sulfuric acid is broken down and is basically converted to water. Soooo the greater the state of discharge the higher the %-age of water in the electrolyte and therefore the greater chance that it will freeze. That being said also realize that as a B+ gets colder it is less efficient and it can't deliver the same amount of amperage that it could when at about 70 degrees. That's why we usually have the greatest number of cranking problems during the winter.
JMTCW
TeJay

Phatkd

This brings me to another question,..

When the rig is plugged into shore power, do the batteries charge? I am trying to get it all ready for a trip next weekend. I have now hooked up the 2 6v in series and have put a 10 amp charge to them. Even from being in my heated shop for a few months, they were down to 70%.

jnbhobe

Kris; The converter will charge the batteries when plugged in and will maintain them better than a 10 amp regular charger.

Phatkd

Thanks Jon,..Have a few other issues I am trying to sort through as well. Big learning curve for year 1 with the new BH

TeJay

Most converter/chargers have three states of charge. I looked up ours and we don't have a top of the line unit. It is a WFCO 8955PEC converter. The voltage for those three states varies from 13.2-14.4 or there about depending on how low the B+ when it was plugged into shore power. Yes the converter will do a better job of charging and maintaining the B+'s. A decent modern B+ charger will also have varying stages of charge. Electronics to change the charge rate is not very expensive and most modern chargers will have a way to do that. It is to their advantage to incorporate modern electronics so they can charge a B+ until it is fully charged then maintain a trickle charge so the B+ won't die. Also, any B+ allowed to set for 2-6 months will loose its charge. That's a fact of life.
TeJay

brianharrison

Kris,

I have kept my batteries in the coach over the winter (Alberta winter!; -30C) with shore power connected - this is preferred over pulling them out, in my opinion. The batteries are a good idea when operating the slides even when hooked to shore power; the amperage draw on the slide motors draw a fairly large amount and the batteries augment the converter output (especially in cold weather when the hydraulic fluid is thicker).

Don't hesistate to contact me for any questions; I don't know all the answers but can help figure out some of the things.... I'll PM you my contact info.

Brian