7 Way Plug In The Bed

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I'm looking at adding an additional plug inside the bed. I'm tired of looping the cable over the tailgate and plugging it in at the bumper. Just curious, did any of you do this yourselves or did you have someone do it for you. Are you able to still use the plug at the bumper? Do they make kits that tee off the existing wiring? Where in the bed is the best place to put it? Thanks for the help.

PUG

Pug
yes auto part stores like napa have t kits. need to drill hole inside bed. most are put just inside bed by left side' that gives open area to put wires through.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Yes, I added a receptacle in the truck bed. I put it roughly 12" from the end of the bed in order to get a nice flat location and not be in the way of my cargo rings. You can buy the adapter harness kit that comes with the receptacle and simply plugs into the existing plug via a wye harness and into the new one. And both plugs are fully functional. Pretty simple to do once you get over the angst of drilling a big hole in the wall of your new truck's bed.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a pic of where I mounted mine. Right behind the drivers side wheel well.

Peace
Dave

Attachments

• plug ..JPG
    plug ..JPG
    280.2 KB · Views: 93

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Did it on my Dodge. very straight forward job. I used a hole saw for the hole, I don't remember the size ...just use the next size up from the diameter of the barrel on the plug. I tapped into the wires leading to the bumper plug. Both work. If your nervous about the hole I'd check with a local body shop, stereo installation shop or something along those lines. They should be able to do it for about the cost of the hole saw... around here anyway.

porthole

Retired
That is going to make me nervous. What size hole?

big ;)

OK, joking aside. Your fender is double wall, inner and outer skins. The key is to not drill the outer, cause everyone will know you screwed up. I'm guessing it is a 2 or 2.5 " hole.

Pick your location and use a 1/4" bit for the pilot hole. Use a 2x4 and drill through that first. Then set you drill bit depth to just clear the 2x4. That will keep you from going to far.
With hole saw yo can control that fairly easy along as you don't get to rammy with it. Slow and steady wins the race.

Plug and play with the wires and when you get done you 'll say to yourself - "self, I shoulda done that last summer"

GOTTOYS

Be sure to smear some paint on the edges of the hole before you install the plug. Those bare metal edges will start rusting and it will travel out around the plug if you don't seal it up...Don

jnbhobe

Jamie; Its a simple plug and play job, the kit comes with instructions. Most of the kits just plug in at your bumper plug from behind. A good parts store or a rv dealer or even u-haul will have it.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I think its a 2" hole. Buy the harness kit and its plug and play. Mount it in the left rear corner of the bed side. You will have extra wire...so just loop it and use wire ties to hold it in place. BTW, plug the harness into the plug before you screw the plug in place. Otherwise you will have to try to plug it in laying on your back. Nail polish works well to protect the bare metal. I bet your DW has a color thats close.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Maybe someone can post-up the dimensions for the hole in the bed on a Dodge truck like yours. (or a photo).
I would use a powered battery drill motor so it won't twist- bite and injure your hand through the drilling process.
I used a 2 1/8" holes saw but buy the receptacle first and take a measurement for the hole.

bowhunt73

JWalker,

I did not mount my receptacle in the side of the bed. I decided to mount it on the rear pillar (to the side of the tailgate) that faces the front of the truck. My truck has a nice big flat area there. Sorry, my truck is covered up or I would send you a pic. I did this due to cargo in the bed and etc. I didn't want it in that open area of the bed. I put it up as high as I could and positioned it so that after it's in the hole there was room for the back of the receptacle and wire coming out after you plug it in to the back of the receptacle. There isn't a lot of room behind that pillar (at least on my truck) so I had to measure twice and cut once. The extra time was worth the end job. It also makes it very easy to see from the cab (verify unplugged when unhooking) since I was able to put it up very high unlike the fender location. You also have to verify that the unplugged wire will make its way up through the pillar from underneath. This is probably the worst spot if you were to ever forget to unplug your 7way though. That's my story FWIW.

Speedy

To avoid drilling the large hole in the box I went with a surface mounted socket called the ProPlug.

PC180008.JPG

I attached it to the center stake pocket. You can see the handle of my hitch in the foreground.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
To avoid drilling the large hole in the box I went with a surface mounted socket called the ProPlug.

View attachment 18040

I attached it to the center stake pocket. You can see the handle of my hitch in the foreground.

Hadn't seen one of those before. But with me tossing lumber, plywood sheets, FD junk, and who know's what (when the hitch is out) in the bed, I'd probably rip the wires off. Still have to be a bit careful even with the drilled mounting.

merlinb

Retired
I used one of those harnesses shown in the link in post #10, above, on my 2007 Dodge 3500 DRW. I mounted the connector on the sidewall in front of the driver's side wheel well. I mounted it there for two reasons:

1. I can connect and disconnect the trailer plug at the same time I am latching and unlatching the hitch.

2. I have one of those "V" top tool boxes mounted in the back end of my truck bed which blocks access to the side wall in that area.

Reason #1 is more important. I would mount it there even if I did not have the tool box in the back. I just don't like getting under the front of the trailer during the hitching and unhitching process if I don't absolutely have to.

TomSt

Past New Jersey Chapter Leader
I agree in front of the wheel well. It keeps your body parts out of the crush zone if something goes wrong

Tom

JWalker

Nail polish works well to protect the bare metal. I bet your DW has a color thats close.

Thanks Bob, Believe it or not, DW does not have white nail polish. 700 bottles....no white. She did say thet every color goes with white.

JWalker

JWalker,

I did not mount my receptacle in the side of the bed. I decided to mount it on the rear pillar (to the side of the tailgate) that faces the front of the truck. My truck has a nice big flat area there. Sorry, my truck is covered up or I would send you a pic. I did this due to cargo in the bed and etc. I didn't want it in that open area of the bed. I put it up as high as I could and positioned it so that after it's in the hole there was room for the back of the receptacle and wire coming out after you plug it in to the back of the receptacle. There isn't a lot of room behind that pillar (at least on my truck) so I had to measure twice and cut once. The extra time was worth the end job. It also makes it very easy to see from the cab (verify unplugged when unhooking) since I was able to put it up very high unlike the fender location. You also have to verify that the unplugged wire will make its way up through the pillar from underneath. This is probably the worst spot if you were to ever forget to unplug your 7way though. That's my story FWIW.

High on that front pillar would also keep it from being in the way of any material one might throw in the bed. I'll have to check and see how the Dodge bed is designed.

JWalker

Plug and play with the wires and when you get done you 'll say to yourself - "self, I shoulda done that last summer"

"Self" should have been doing alot of these mods starting last Summer. But this MOD has been consuming almost all my time.....can't wait till its done.
25pogmf.jpg

Jamie