A Super Duty, is NOT a Super Duty

Bones

It wasn't clear to me in the picture (not enough resolution), but if that is a ball hitch on a fifth wheel is that even allowed ? !

I was trying to take a picture real quick. If you zoom in on the pictures you will see a fixed king pin box with a goose neck adapter bolted on then at the bottom another adapter bolted on that pushed the trailer further away so as to not hit the rear cab of the truck.

On edit I found a picture of what it looked like. Here you go.

goose neck adapter.jpg

Hansel

id tow with my 6.7 (there we no new 7. 6 fords available the day I bought mine) ANY DAY over my old 7.3......not that the 7.3 was bad, but from a practical performance and capability standpoint its not even worth the argument

and as for the ratings on the 3/4 ton trucks, there are a lot factors that keep them low......in any case I agree...you cant tow much 5th wheel with a fully loaded 4wd 3/4 ton.....at least by the "numbers"....

cuz I know first hand that a new 3/4 ton truck will yank a 18k lb trailer around with no problem whatsoever!! .. not saying I recommend it, or its wise....just saying...

I would say the 6000lb ccc on my dually , qualifies at as "super duty" for me tho...lol...our old 7.3 dully (while still chugging along at over 290k miles) does not even begin to compare with the 6.7 (especially one that has the epa junk removed :cool:

Not going too argue about the motor's, my 7.3L is fine with what I have for now. My venting is how screwed up the weight rating they put on these truck's, and call them "super duty". I will say that a deleted 6.7 or not has better performance, let's see if they have the durability of the 7.3 but time will only tell.

travlingman

I have a friend that has a new F-250 with a 6.7L and I don't have his weight number's but it seems like even the newer truck's don't have a lot of carry capacity. I mean most 5th wheels nowadays are pushing over 10K so that means a pin weight 2K or more so I just don't understand what's going on at Ford making truck's that honestly not able too carry that much.

Maybe because they are limited to a 10K lb. GVW limit to stay classified as a class 2 truck. All of the 250/2500 series trucks have a 10K GVW limit, this includes Ram and Chevy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truck_classification#Class_2

[h=4]Class 2[edit][/h]The Class 2 truck gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) ranges from 6001–10000 lb (2722–4536 kg).[SUP][1][/SUP] Examples of vehicles in this class include the Dodge Ram 1500, Chevrolet Silverado 1500, and the F-150. Class 2 is subdivided into Class 2a and Class 2b, with class 2a being 6001–8500 lb (2722–3856 kg), and class 2b being 8501–10000 lb (3856–4536 kg). Class 2a is commonly referred to as a light duty truck, with class 2b being the lowest heavy-duty class, also called the light heavy-duty class.[SUP][9][/SUP][SUP][10][/SUP][SUP][11][/SUP]
[h=4]Class 3[edit][/h]The Class 3 truck gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) ranges from 10001–14000 lb (4536–6350 kg).[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][12][/SUP] Examples of vehicles in this class include the Dodge Ram 3500, Ford E-350, Ford F-350, and the GMC Sierra 3500. The Hummer H1 is another example of a single rear axle Class 3 truck, with a GVWR of 10300 lb

7.3 is the only good Diesel engine that Ford has ever had the rest are junk even the newer 7.6

Would you please put up a link to this new 7.6 engine you speak of. I have never heard or seen this engine and would like to see the specs for it.

SNOKING

Not going too argue about the motor's, my 7.3L is fine with what I have for now. My venting is how screwed up the weight rating they put on these truck's, and call them "super duty". I will say that a deleted 6.7 or not has better performance, let's see if they have the durability of the 7.3 but time will only tell.

None of the new diesels are going to stand up as good as the 7.3 or the 5.9 Cummins, Particularly those with the Bosch CP4-2 injection pumps. SNOKING

IronJ

the 6.7 going into its 7th year of production already....and while there have been issues and rants, for the most part it has performed and then some....

the bosh pumps and the lack of lubricity in US ultra low sulpher diesel is a cause for concern over the long haul.....although I always add cetane boost to my fuel, and Its becoming increasingly hard to find diesel that is not at least 5% bio (which also alleviates the lubricity issue)

the other killer in my opinion is the egr system.....long term I don't see how it wont cause all kinds of issues....and hence why I gut that crap from my truck as soon as my 36k warranty is up....

and those issues are industry wide...not just ford thing.....

time and miles will tell the real story.....I wont have any truck long enough to have a dog in the fight...LOL

Bones

the 6.7 going into its 7th year of production already....and while there have been issues and rants, for the most part it has performed and then some....

the bosh pumps and the lack of lubricity in US ultra low sulpher diesel is a cause for concern over the long haul.....although I always add cetane boost to my fuel, and Its becoming increasingly hard to find diesel that is not at least 5% bio (which also alleviates the lubricity issue)

the other killer in my opinion is the egr system.....long term I don't see how it wont cause all kinds of issues....and hence why I gut that crap from my truck as soon as my 36k warranty is up....

and those issues are industry wide...not just ford thing.....

time and miles will tell the real story.....I wont have any truck long enough to have a dog in the fight...LOL

I will consider removal after warranty but not sure about the EPA police pulling me over on the road.

IronJ

that's definantly something to consider....out here in the wild west texas, I have never seen nor heard of any non commercial truck getting a ticket or otherwise stopped for "mods" to egr system

I'm not debting the legality of it.....just saying... my dually is already tuned, but still has stock egr......but the parts for the swap are sitting in my show waiting...

Bones

that's definantly something to consider....out here in the wild west texas, I have never seen nor heard of any non commercial truck getting a ticket or otherwise stopped for "mods" to egr system

I'm not debting the legality of it.....just saying... my dually is already tuned, but still has stock egr......but the parts for the swap are sitting in my show waiting...
I agree with you that the EGR system is a killer for the engine. I could at least get rid of that.

IronJ

Maybe because they are limited to a 10K lb. GVW limit to stay classified as a class 2 truck. All of the 250/2500 series trucks have a 10K GVW limit, this includes Ram and Chevy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truck_classification#Class_2

[h=4]Class 2[edit][/h]The Class 2 truck gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) ranges from 6001–10000 lb (2722–4536 kg).[SUP][1][/SUP] Examples of vehicles in this class include the Dodge Ram 1500, Chevrolet Silverado 1500, and the F-150. Class 2 is subdivided into Class 2a and Class 2b, with class 2a being 6001–8500 lb (2722–3856 kg), and class 2b being 8501–10000 lb (3856–4536 kg). Class 2a is commonly referred to as a light duty truck, with class 2b being the lowest heavy-duty class, also called the light heavy-duty class.[SUP][9][/SUP][SUP][10][/SUP][SUP][11][/SUP]
[h=4]Class 3[edit][/h]The Class 3 truck gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) ranges from 10001–14000 lb (4536–6350 kg).[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][12][/SUP] Examples of vehicles in this class include the Dodge Ram 3500, Ford E-350, Ford F-350, and the GMC Sierra 3500. The Hummer H1 is another example of a single rear axle Class 3 truck, with a GVWR of 10300 lb

Would you please put up a link to this new 7.6 engine you speak of. I have never heard or seen this engine and would like to see the specs for it.
This is exactly what I meant by "other factors"....

Ford even made the tow boss package for the 350 to give it the capability of 450 but keep it a 1 ton...as many insurances categorize the 450 as a commercial vehicle...

Aside from the physical limitations of the actual truck there are several other forces in play with ratings....

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

avvidclif

Another is my local credit union will not finance anything over a 1T. F450 need not apply, commercial vehicle.

Sniper

This is exactly what I meant by "other factors"....

Ford even made the tow boss package for the 350 to give it the capability of 450 but keep it a 1 ton...as many insurances categorize the 450 as a commercial vehicle...

Aside from the physical limitations of the actual truck there are several other forces in play with ratings....

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish
I know here in Ohio when I got my F350 I about had a coronary when I went in to register it! My registration double, and my insurance tripled! Anything above 3/4 they said is considered Commercial. It is my understanding that is one of the reasons that RAM continues to define their top of the line 3500 as a 1 ton instead of a 4500 that it really is. Ford used to do the same thing with the F250. You could get one with DRW, making it for all intents and purposes a F350, except for registration and insurance.

In regards to the post what, was considered Super Duty 15 years ago is simply not the same as it is today. I sure can't work as hard as I did 15 years ago. LOL All the big 3 fiddle with names and numbers, weather it be weight numbers, horsepower numbers, or torque numbers. Always have. Always will. I Love my almost 16 year old Super Duty though. She keeps going, and going, and going... :)

Bones

I know here in Ohio when I got my F350 I about had a coronary when I went in to register it! My registration double, and my insurance tripled! Anything above 3/4 they said is considered Commercial. It is my understanding that is one of the reasons that RAM continues to define their top of the line 3500 as a 1 ton instead of a 4500 that it really is. Ford used to do the same thing with the F250. You could get one with DRW, making it for all intents and purposes a F350, except for registration and insurance.

In regards to the post what, was considered Super Duty 15 years ago is simply not the same as it is today. I sure can't work as hard as I did 15 years ago. LOL All the big 3 fiddle with names and numbers, weather it be weight numbers, horsepower numbers, or torque numbers. Always have. Always will. I Love my almost 16 year old Super Duty though. She keeps going, and going, and going... :)
That is until the batteries run out. He he lol

9a8425bebcff504301b7499c69381464.jpg
b89e27a9462a2efe5c79dbaee4987647.jpg
26239094d74b090c51afaba27583c2ca.jpg

I don't mean to start anything here but I feel like gvwr and all the other ratings are way way below what the truck is more than capable of doing. I think it's just their CYA for them. My 2005 ram 2500 cummins towed this 42ft, triple axle, 4 slide out, 2 bedroom monster 5th wheel and a 8x12 horton hauler behind it. I lived in it full time and traveled for work (oil and gas). I put more than 45k miles with this set up with hardly any issues. Just a handful of trailer tires and 3 transmissions. Unfortunately I don't not have scale weight prints anymore as this was 3 years ago I did this, but with this whole set up I was at 31,500k lbs 9k for truck with 100gal aux tank, 20k for trailer loaded with everything I own for full timing, and 3500lbs cargo trailer with all my leveling blocks, chairs, bbq pit, 4 wheeler, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A transmission every 15k mi and you don't think you were overloaded??

It was def the builder, because the issues weren't from towing. It was actual failures of certain components. 1st one was sucked up transmission filter and lost line pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smasera

Do you know if the registration rules are the same in California, in regards to financing an F-450? I have assumed, maybe incorrectly that you could finance it as an RV?
Thanks