A Super Duty, is NOT a Super Duty

SNOKING

Since you're TV is registered at 14,000 GVWR does that mean that you can load your truck until it weighs 14,000 and legally drive it on the road?

Nope! Front GAWR is 6k and Rear GAWR is 7K, so 13K well balance load would be the limit.

justafordguy

Actually as long as the tires are also rated for 14000lbs or more then you would be completely legal if registered at 14000lbs.

Rollin_Free

I need a reality check to confirm what I think is right so I'm going to use my actual rig numbers. My TV certified labels show GVWR 11,600, GAWR-FRT 6000, GAWR-RR 7050, and payload is 3643. My 5th wheel certified label shows GVWR is 11,300 and is 26.5 feet long.

I checked the plates and my TV has 12,000 GVW and the 5er also has 12,000 GVW on the license plate and they are shown in the attached pictures. I'm assuming this means I'm legally licensed for up to 24,000 which is below the 26,000 max limit for CDL class A license requirement. Is this correct? The only issue that I think would be a concern is the 5er is licensed over the 10,000 lbs max before a class A license is needed.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    170.3 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    171.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Bohemian

There are now two different GCWR standards.

One reported for the trucks capability.

The other recently adopted by most states if not all for driver licensing:

GCWR = GVWR Truck + GVWR Trailer

Payload is not a direct rating of the vehicle. It is a convenience rating. It represents GVWR - GVW - 150 (For driver) - weight of fuel in standard fuel tank. Everything additional added to the truck reduces payload, passengers, dogs, options, snacks, groceries, etc.

Rollin_Free

I understand the vehicle certified numbers however I'm trying to clarify the registration weight question. If my TV and Trailer license plates are both labeled at 12,000 GVW is my tow vehicle is registered for 24,000 lbs. max weight, which is the GCWR you mentioned, or is it just the 12,000 lbs for the truck?

jnbhobe

I understand the vehicle certified numbers however I'm trying to clarify the registration weight question. If my TV and Trailer license plates are both labeled at 12,000 GVW is my tow vehicle is registered for 24,000 lbs. max weight, which is the GCWR you mentioned, or is it just the 12,000 lbs for the truck?

What does the truck registration card say, mine says 14K and in pa they want you to license for the combo weight of 33K but I haven't done it yet. I was hoping to weight till they force me, May not be a good idea but we'll see.I already license for 14K on the truck and 16K on the trailer and neither is over weight when hooked up.

justafordguy

Every state could be different so you need to contact your state DMV to find out how your truck and trailer need to be registered. In Florida the truck is only registered for the max it will weigh and the trailer is registered for it's max weight.

Relayman

i have an '06 6.0 F250. the fifth wheel towing capacity is 15,500 lbs. i pull my 2017 3270RS like its not even there. Bullet proofed engine
air bags. No Problem

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Relayman

My '06 F250 is rated for fifth wheel towing at 15,500 lbs.
factory publication from 2006. Air bags..Bullet-proofed 6.0 . I pull my 2017 3270RS
like its not even there. Had a Fleetwood Prowler Regal AX6 365 BSQS with four slides...pulled it like a dream.
all over Colorado. no problems

avvidclif

My '06 F250 is rated for fifth wheel towing at 15,500 lbs.
factory publication from 2006. Air bags..Bullet-proofed 6.0 . I pull my 2017 3270RS
like its not even there. Had a Fleetwood Prowler Regal AX6 365 BSQS with four slides...pulled it like a dream.
all over Colorado. no problems

It's not what you can tow. It's what you can carry in the bed (payload).

Relayman

payload is different from towing capacity. pin weight could be considered payload i guess but not really. Correction..my 2006 F250 has a towing rating of 15,900 lbs. ( not 15,500). the pin weight capacity is 15% to a maximum of 25% of that number. which equates to. 2,385 lbs to 3975 lbs. 20% would be 3,180 lbs. this is from a Ford Motor Company RV towing publication from 2006. My 3270 rs is rated at 15000 FULLY loaded( which we are not). However we would be close to the upper end of our rating if we were fully loaded. I can e mail you that publication if you like. it answered a lot of questions for me. kem53@sbcglobal.net

- - - Updated - - -

Clif..payload is different from towing capacity. pin weight could be considered payload i guess but not really. Correction..my 2006 F250 has a towing rating of 15,900 lbs. ( not 15,500). the pin weight capacity is 15% to a maximum of 25% of that number. which equates to. 2,385 lbs to 3975 lbs. 20% would be 3,180 lbs. this is from a Ford Motor Company RV towing publication from 2006. My 3270 rs is rated at 15000 FULLY loaded( which we are not). However we would be close to the upper end of our rating if we were fully loaded. I can e mail you that publication if you like. it answered a lot of questions for me. kem53@sbcglobal.net

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
payload is different from towing capacity. pin weight could be considered payload i guess but not really. Correction..my 2006 F250 has a towing rating of 15,900 lbs. ( not 15,500). the pin weight capacity is 15% to a maximum of 25% of that number. which equates to. 2,385 lbs to 3975 lbs. 20% would be 3,180 lbs. this is from a Ford Motor Company RV towing publication from 2006. My 3270 rs is rated at 15000 FULLY loaded( which we are not). However we would be close to the upper end of our rating if we were fully loaded. I can e mail you that publication if you like. it answered a lot of questions for me. kem53@sbcglobal.net

- - - Updated - - -

Clif..payload is different from towing capacity. pin weight could be considered payload i guess but not really. Correction..my 2006 F250 has a towing rating of 15,900 lbs. ( not 15,500). the pin weight capacity is 15% to a maximum of 25% of that number. which equates to. 2,385 lbs to 3975 lbs. 20% would be 3,180 lbs. this is from a Ford Motor Company RV towing publication from 2006. My 3270 rs is rated at 15000 FULLY loaded( which we are not). However we would be close to the upper end of our rating if we were fully loaded. I can e mail you that publication if you like. it answered a lot of questions for me. kem53@sbcglobal.net

Yes, pin weight is definitely payload, and directly affects your rear axle (check your weight rating for it) and GVW of the truck.

Our ElkRidge had a GVWR of 14348. Our pin weight was 3100lbs, and no, we were not overloaded. We did not have a w/d at that time, and were not fulltiming. We had a 2004 3500 dually that had the capacity in RAWR, GVWR, and payload capacity, as well as tow rating.

When looking at a heavier rig, we knew we'd be over with that truck -- thus the upgrade to the 2013 dually. No issues with the new 15500 BC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bones

Great now I'm chiming in. :angel:. Travel Tiger is correct. Pin weight and payload are the same when loaded in your truck. It is just a matter of how they are explaining to you. What you put into a bed of a truck is being called payload. What the weight of the pin is when landing gear is up is pin weight. What ever you put into the bed of your truck now becomes one in the same. Pin weight translates to payload because it sits in the bed of your truck. However, Payload will include the weight of your hitch, and wood you may have back there, bikes, extra fuel all adds to the payload number as well as your fifth wheel pin. When you go over scales you need to go over twice. one with the trailer and one without. Subtract the different weights from trailer to no trailer. Include your front axle in that equation too as some weight is transferred to the front axle when loaded

SNOKING

Great now I'm chiming in. :angel:. Travel Tiger is correct. Pin weight and payload are the same when loaded in your truck. It is just a matter of how they are explaining to you. What you put into a bed of a truck is being called payload. What the weight of the pin is when landing gear is up is pin weight. What ever you put into the bed of your truck now becomes one in the same. Pin weight translates to payload because it sits in the bed of your truck. However, Payload will include the weight of your hitch, and wood you may have back there, bikes, extra fuel all adds to the payload number as well as your fifth wheel pin. When you go over scales you need to go over twice. one with the trailer and one without. Subtract the different weights from trailer to no trailer. Include your front axle in that equation too as some weight is transferred to the front axle when loaded

Pin weight is load, which subtracts from "allowable payload", along with other loads such as the hitch, tools, firewood, in bed fuel tank, passengers, dogs and cats. Conversely pin weight has to becomes a very large part of total payload as noted above.