A Super Duty, is NOT a Super Duty

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
With the capabilities and spec ratings of the new 350/3500 from the big 3, what are the benefits of going to the 450/4500 or larger?

SNOKING

Ford has in recent years matched it's F450 against the RAM 3500. Ford in 2017 is playing catch-up with the F350. Chris

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I saw what I think was a 2017 Ford F350 SRW this morning on my way to work right near the local Ford dealership.

Have never seen anything that looked like it, so it must be a new model.

Maybe it will grow on me . . . but both the front end and the rear end were ugly!

Not sure if you Ford guys are gonna like it.

As for the 3/4 ton thing, when I bought mine just under two years ago we had a bumper-pull TT and the Chevy 2500HD was way more truck than we needed.

And that was shortly after we had one of those 'we can pull it, but suddenly now we can't stop it' moments with our previous Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 pulling our previous Heartland Trail Runner TT, which was within, but very close to the top of the specs for the Dodge.

But a few months after we bought the new truck we had a bunch of problems with our other TT and once we got it fixed, decided to get rid of it while it still had value.

We looked at bumper-pulls again, but fell in love with the floor plan of the Heartland Elkridge and Sundance P292 5th-wheelers, but both were too much for our new truck.

Imagine our excitement when we found the exact same floor plan in an ultra-lite Heartland Prowler P292 that was within the specs of our new truck.

There are plenty of 5th-wheels out there that can be pulled safely and within specs of a 3/4 ton truck.

The key is make yourself stay within those limits and not let yourself talk yourself into falsely believing that you will be safe when you push way beyond those limitations.

Or just bite the bullet and buy the truck that is big enough for that big monster 5th-wheeler that is calling out your name.

Otherwise, one day you might just find yourself looking at the rear end of whatever is in front of you as you are sliding out of control towards it . . . wondering when or if you will stop!

We finally stopped in a cloud of tire smoke less than five inches from the trailer in front of us . . .

Two weeks later . . . new bigger truck!

20 minutes before the scariest five seconds of our lives and turned out to be the last time our Dodge ever pulled this trailer:

EstesPark-IMG_2845.jpg

1000 miles from home and less than 200 miles from when the major problems with this trailer will rear their ugly heads . . .
(look at the front trailer wheel any you can see it has already started):

CamperAt CWFlagstaffAZ.jpg

Chevy 2500HD with a 5th-wheel that is well within it's towing specs:

ProwlerMonarchPass-P1010480.jpg

Click on photos to see them larger

Bones

I need to win the lottery so that I can buy a dodge and a Ford and travel all summer long

Rollin_Free

I was at a SOB dealership for parts and saw a Sundance hooked to a 2500 TV. It was a 3270RES with 13,500 GVWR and hitch 20% = 2700lbs. It amazes me how many people just don't know what legal responsibility means.

When I turned around I saw inside the work bay several blown tires that were destroyed. It was kinda out of sight but clear as day when you walked around to the back of the work area.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    127.7 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 72

IronJ

With the capabilities and spec ratings of the new 350/3500 from the big 3, what are the benefits of going to the 450/4500 or larger?
For the newer model 450 a significant bump In gvwr and tow rating...

Again, remember a 2015 tow boss 350 has a gcwr of 35k...and a loaded curb weight around 9500lbs...the ccc will vary depending on trim, but mine is right at 6000lbs per the lawyer sticker

I always agree you can never have TOO MUCH tow vehicle....

But for business and tax reasons I could not justify a 450 badge and it's associated "commercial" loopholes...at that point and cost I might as well go all in and get a sole use mdt....which I considered, but just really didn't want...

I mean you can nearly get a max tow equipped ecoboost f150 with the towing cap of a 3/4 super...??..lol

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

travlingman

I saw what I think was a 2017 Ford F350 SRW this morning on my way to work right near the local Ford dealership.

Have never seen anything that looked like it, so it must be a new model.

Maybe it will grow on me . . . but both the front end and the rear end were ugly!

Not sure if you Ford guys are gonna like it.

2017 Ford's are not in production yet. They won't start building until July.

JohnD

I'll bet they are . . . and some already on their way to the dealerships!

The one I saw looked like the photos that popped up about six months back, but the grill, headlights and tail lights were unlike anything I've ever seen on the road.

I personally didn't like it . . .

Now, we see a lot of pre-released vehicles out here in Colorado as they use the mountains around here for testing and shooting TV commercials.

This could be what I saw.

Hansel

Well I should have known not too open this can of worm's, now I wish I could take this thread away.

Too called irresponsible and made too feel like a fool I won't take.

I felt like this forum might be different since we all own Heartlands, but I can tell it isn't.

Signing out!!!!

IronJ

Well I should have known not too open this can of worm's, now I wish I could take this thread away.

I felt like this forum might be different since we all own Heartlands, but I can tell it isn't.

Signing out!!!!
Wait, did I miss something?...who said you were an irresponsible?.....

I agreed that the 3/4 ton ratings were suspect and the reasoning was more than just the physical capacity of the truck?..seemed like others agreed?..

What gives?

id tow with my 6.7 (there we no new 7. 6 fords available the day I bought mine) ANY DAY over my old 7.3......not that the 7.3 was bad, but from a practical performance and capability standpoint its not even worth the argument

and as for the ratings on the 3/4 ton trucks, there are a lot factors that keep them low......in any case I agree...you cant tow much 5th wheel with a fully loaded 4wd 3/4 ton.....at least by the "numbers"....

cuz I know first hand that a new 3/4 ton truck will yank a 18k lb trailer around with no problem whatsoever!! .. not saying I recommend it, or its wise....just saying...

I would say the 6000lb ccc on my dually , qualifies at as "super duty" for me tho...lol...our old 7.3 dully (while still chugging along at over 290k miles) does not even begin to compare with the 6.7 (especially one that has the epa junk removed :cool:

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

JohnD

Forgot to put this in my previous post . . .

I got one of the very first 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD's that our dealer sold in late August of 2014.

The sticker in the door jam shows that it was built in February, 2014 in Ft. Wayne, Indiana.

TruckAtGrandCanyon-IMG_3537.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Signing out!!!!

Sorry if you took our advice the wrong way.

This is one of the best RV chats on the net!

However, we are just trying to let you know that the trailer you are looking at is way beyond the capabilities of the truck you are planning on using, and we are concerned!

Nothing more . . . nothing less.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Rolling, what engine did the 2500HD have? A 2011 and newer 2500HD D/A has a 17200K 5er rating.

Hansel, yep the Chevy-Ford-Dodge debate strikes again. Sorry I don't fall into the trap...buy what you like and want and I don't really give a rats patoot..

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
When we were getting our's, I asked the sales guy about the pin weight, he then pulled out his phone, and then I gave him all my truck spec's and he told me I could tow a 13,500 trailer because the truck has a max 20K combo weight. They didn't seem concerned about the pin weight as much as the total combo weight.

That's a salesman for you, telling you what you want to hear to make a sale. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rollin_Free

Rolling, what engine did the 2500HD have? A 2011 and newer 2500HD D/A has a 17200K 5er rating.

Hansel, yep the Chevy-Ford-Dodge debate strikes again. Sorry I don't fall into the trap...buy what you like and want and I don't really give a rats patoot..

It was the Duramax however not positive if it was the 6.6L. The issue isn't with the tow weight it's with the TV payload which is 2793lbs. max but this number isn't based on the extra 6.6L weight. I have the same truck and my sticker states 2214lbs. max payload dry weight and 10,000 GCWR. My loaded weight: full fuel, generator in bed, 2 passengers + driver is 8500 lbs leaving me 1500 lbs. for 5er hitch weight. With a trailer GCWR of 13,500 the hitch is 2700 lbs. @ 20% putting the payload over by 1200 lbs.

SNOKING

You would need a 5th wheel with 10% pin weight to not exceed the trucks other ratings at a 17K+ trailer. Chris

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
All the statements are true to a point. Keep in mind that not all the pin weight is on the rear axle. When hooked up....close to 400# is transferred to the front axle. Well at least on my rig.

CaptnJohn

Had no problems with my F250 6.7 except payload. Had an emergency tow for a friend and dropped his 2870# on the hitch and she didn't drop 1 1/2 inches. 4 people of about 800# added and she drove and stopped as desired. Only had to go just over 100 miles and would never do I under ordinary circumstances. The sticker stated a payload of 2247. As we may be looking at another new 5er when we return from our snowbird trip, I just bought a new F350. The pin eight on the current 5er is a few # under 2000 ~~~ whoops but never a problem.

Carleen

The EPA along with Ford making International angry was the death of the 7.3L, I still don't trust the 6.7L I just get sick and tired of all the marketing BS that Ford spreads around about the new diesel engine. I for one am not going too be a guinea pig too a new diesel engine, I'd have too say that if I needed a new diesel truck, I'd have too take a serious look at the GMC with the Isuzu engine.

I did tons of research before jumping back into a Ford Diesel after my 7.3L. Ford and Motorcraft joined to build a diesel engine that was as reliable as the 7.3L after International destroyed their reputation with the 6.0L and 6.4L. So far, there were some "catastrophic failures" in first generation 2011's, but many of the bugs were fixed after that (Keep in mind- first generation engines have failures in all brands, diesel or not). I took the chance and bought a first gen. 6.7L with the warranty because I don't have $4k laying around to replace the turbo after the ceramic bearings fail. However, I couldn't be happier. The HP/Torque this truck has is beyond my expectations. The two independent cooling systems for trans vs. engine is awesome. I like the features, the safety, and the truck as a whole. There is a lot of technology packed into it. I give Ford a thumbs up for this one.

I am not a one or the other kinda gal. I love Duramax and the Alison, but couldn't get past the DEF tank exposed behind the wheel. You crack that- you aren't going anywhere. Cummins makes a great Diesel, but the year truck I could afford was falling apart around the engine. All the diesel manufactures struggled and lost reliability because of the new EPA requirements. Can't really say one did better than the other when going through the transition to EGR systems.