A Super Duty, is NOT a Super Duty

avvidclif

It was the Duramax however not positive if it was the 6.6L. The issue isn't with the tow weight it's with the TV payload which is 2793lbs. max but this number isn't based on the extra 6.6L weight. I have the same truck and my sticker states 2214lbs. max payload dry weight and 10,000 GCWR. My loaded weight: full fuel, generator in bed, 2 passengers + driver is 8500 lbs leaving me 1500 lbs. for 5er hitch weight. With a trailer GCWR of 13,500 the hitch is 2700 lbs. @ 20% putting the payload over by 1200 lbs.

You're confusing GVWR (10K) with Payload (RAWR). Payload is what counts with a 5th wheel and you have to go by the number on your truck not the "pie-in-the-sky" brochure numbers. It takes into account your options and engine.

CaptnJohn

You're confusing GVWR (10K) with Payload (RAWR). Payload is what counts with a 5th wheel and you have to go by the number on your truck not the "pie-in-the-sky" brochure numbers. It takes into account your options and engine.

True! Going by the published pin weight dry of 1705 which was accurate my F250 would have been fine with a 2247 payload. Loaded just barely OK. Then the add ons like BR AC, washer/dryer and more. Now the new F350 has just 1000# payload cushion. That yellow sticker can bite.

Hansel

Anyway you cut it, the GVWR of 10K is what the truck can't exceed. So if you're truck weighs in at 7500lbs then you have 2500lbs you can carry whether it's a 5th wheel or brick's. My truck a 01 F-250 diesel weighs in at 8K, so I have a mere 800lbs that I can load in the bed, that's what SUCKS!!!!!

avvidclif

Anyway you cut it, the GVWR of 10K is what the truck can't exceed. So if you're truck weighs in at 7500lbs then you have 2500lbs you can carry whether it's a 5th wheel or brick's. My truck a 01 F-250 diesel weighs in at 8K, so I have a mere 800lbs that I can load in the bed, that's what SUCKS!!!!!

Why can't you? It's a number put on a truck to define it's classification, not it's capabilities. Look at the RAWR and FAWR numbers, that's what it can do in stock configuration. Add them up and they are more than the GVWR.

Rollin_Free

Why can't you? It's a number put on a truck to define it's classification, not it's capabilities. Look at the RAWR and FAWR numbers, that's what it can do in stock configuration. Add them up and they are more than the GVWR.

Bottom line is GVWR is the max weight your TV can legally be. I pretty sure axle limits are only considering weight specific to the axle not the entire suspension limits. If your over in payload chances are you're over in GVWR as well.

Rollin_Free

Incorrect, the registered GVWR and the capacity of your tires is what determines what your truck can legally weigh. The manufacturers GVWR is their limit not the legal limit.

Hum, so then based on that the max limit is going to be the lower weight of the two maximums either GVWR or tire capacity? If the max limit of the lower one is exceeded what will happen if you're stopped by the weight police?

I currently have TV tires rated for 3525lbs (@ 80psi.) x4 = 14,100 lbs. My GVWR is 11,600 lbs. If I scale my truck and it shows 12,500 lbs. am I overweight?

justafordguy

Hum, so then based on that the max limit is going to be the lower weight of the two maximums either GVWR or tire capacity? If the max limit of the lower one is exceeded what will happen if you're stopped by the weight police?

I currently have TV tires rated for 3525lbs (@ 80psi.) x4 = 14,100 lbs. My GVWR is 11,600 lbs. If I scale my truck and it shows 12,500 lbs. am I overweight?

Yes, if you are only registered at 11,600 lbs. If you are registered at 14,100 then No you are not over weight. You are legal up to the lowest weight, registered GVWR or Tire capacity.

And by the way, you will not get stopped by the "weight police" they only care about commercial vehicles. ;)

Rollin_Free

Yes, if you are only registered at 11,600 lbs. If you are registered at 14,100 then No you are not over weight. You are legal up to the lowest weight, registered GVWR or Tire capacity.

And by the way, you will not get stopped by the "weight police" they only care about commercial vehicles. ;)

So you're saying I can register my TV for 14,100 even though my GVWR is 11,600? I guess I just don't understand how that works then. I would be very uncomfortable if I was at a scale weighing 12,500 with a GVWR of 11,600 for my TV.

I realize they don't chase you down but they do appear when least expected and if something doesn't look right to them you'll get a chance to visit with them. I read that they carry boiler plate charts with general guidelines of vehicle and trailer weights. If your driving a SRW pulling a 18-20k trailer I'm positive they're gonna know there's a weight issue.

justafordguy

So you're saying I can register my TV for 14,100 even though my GVWR is 11,600? I guess I just don't understand how that works then. I would be very uncomfortable if I was at a scale weighing 12,500 with a GVWR of 11,600 for my TV.

I realize they don't chase you down but they do appear when least expected and if something doesn't look right to them you'll get a chance to visit with them. I read that they carry boiler plate charts with general guidelines of vehicle and trailer weights. If your driving a SRW pulling a 18-20k trailer I'm positive they're gonna know there's a weight issue.

Correct, you can register your truck at any GVWR you want, you just pay a little more. I'm not sure about other states but this is what I was told by the DMV and local law enforcement here in Florida. I was also told that the only state you have to worry about is the one you are registered in.

I have both of my trucks registered at 14,000 lbs. It was $14 extra for the increased weight from 10,000lbs to 14,000lbs on my F250.

SNOKING

I think that some states register tonnage and others do not. Our state, Washington, registers tonnage. Our truck has a 11,700 GVWR, however the state register it at 12K. For a few bucks more a year I can register it at 14K. From Washington State's prospective I am find, and that reciprocates with the other states. FWIW the same truck with a long bed has a 12,300 GVWR. Everything is the same! So did RAM raise the GVWR to account for the heavier long bed truck? I believe so and that just go to show that it is just a manufactures number that people do not understand. Chris

Rollin_Free

If your TV is registered for 14,000 and your 5th wheel GVWR is around 15,000 do you need a special license to be above 26,000?

I need to understand what the advantage is to register a 11,700 GVWR TV at 14,000 (GVWR?)

justafordguy

If your TV is registered for 14,000 and your 5th wheel GVWR is around 15,000 do you need a special license to be above 26,000?

I need to understand what the advantage is to register a 11,700 GVWR TV at 14,000 (GVWR?)

No special license is required in Florida for RVs, they are exempt from the 26k limit of the standard license. You should check with your DMV.

caissiel

My F250 was registered for 14000 lbs and I dropped it to 12000 lbs with no savings in fees. The other day I hit the scales at the local dump with 12000 lbs gross weight with 20 square of old roof shingles.
I dropped the registration to lower the possible problem of being registerd to high for the 26000 lbs limit laws. Though it don't mather in my province but does at others.
In my provice the trucks are regitered by the rated group and a F250 is the same truck as a F350 duelly. Same frame, brakes and powertrain. My 2005 was registered higher then my friends pre 2005 duellies.
Sent from my B1-710 using Tapatalk

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Rollin_Free;512109 This makes me wonder how you can register a higher GVWR number than is stamped on the certified weight labels.[/QUOTE said:
I was wondering the same.

SNOKING

I was wondering the same.

The GVWR is just a manufacturers number, and has nothing to do with licensing in many states. Some states license tonnage some do not. The federal bridge weight laws are what are enforced in the weigh stations. No pickup is going to exceed those numbers. Chris

ramdually4100king

I have a 7800lbs, 3500 drw, dodge and a 19500lbs 4100 cyclone. The hitch weight is 4300lbs.

From the scales the rear axel on the truck without trailer is 3800lbs and with is 8100lbs. The axel is rated at 9000lbs so I consider that good. I also added two leaf springs to prevent squatting the frame to the axel.

In Nebraska I verified with DMV and state police the weight is truck plus hitch weight (trailer weight doesn't matter) so I have it registered for 8 tons just to be safe.

Rollin_Free

The GVWR is just a manufacturers number, and has nothing to do with licensing in many states. Some states license tonnage some do not. The federal bridge weight laws are what are enforced in the weigh stations. No pickup is going to exceed those numbers. Chris

Since you're TV is registered at 14,000 GVWR does that mean that you can load your truck until it weighs 14,000 and legally drive it on the road?