A tale of an axle problem

paulh

☹️️☹️️☹️️- so I do NO maintenance on these bearings? And IF they fail, I.....

Ann - I had a 2010 Arctic Fox that came with the Dexter / Never Lube bearings and I was told no service required, forever, they are a sealed assembly. I thought "yeah - right" nothing as integral as that can last forever. I carried an extra bearing assembly as a spare. I owned that coach for five years and never did anything but align it twice and fortunately never had a problem. If I ever did break down, at least I had the proper part - I would recommend you carry a spare. I was told the new bearing assembly would have to be pressed on so it would take a substantial repair shop. I don't think the axle would have to be replaced but then that would depend a lot on the damage done if a failure did occur. Hope this helps.

danemayer

☹️️☹️️☹️️- so I do NO maintenance on these bearings? And IF they fail, I.....

This makes me wonder about the bearings in our cars and trucks. I don't think I've ever given a thought to having those bearings inspected and repacked. And I don't think the Operators Manual speaks to bearing maintenance.

I understand that there's more stress on our trailer bearings. But maybe the ones you have are heavy duty enough to last. Of course "Never" is a long time.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
This makes me wonder about the bearings in our cars and trucks. I don't think I've ever given a thought to having those bearings inspected and repacked. And I don't think the Operators Manual speaks to bearing maintenance.

I understand that there's more stress on our trailer bearings. But maybe the ones you have are heavy duty enough to last. Of course "Never" is a long time.

I've had 38 cars and trucks in the years since I started driving (many of them with 100,000+ miles on them), and have only had to do one wheel bearing (1979 Volkswagon Rabbit).

I've had three RV's and one boat trailer . . . and had to do one RV wheel bearing (with less than 5000 miles on it) . . .

This leaves me wondering why a better wheel bearing is not made for pullable RV's.

I know it can be done . . .

ksucats

Ann: I had Nev-R-Lube Lippert bearings and axles on my SOB that we traded in. They were fantastic - sealed cartridges -- that is until they quit being fantastic. As I mentioned above, we didn't know they were failing - did the shake test (lifted the wheels off the ground and tried to move them both vertically and horizontally) without any issues. Then, less than 600 miles later decided to put new tires on (tires were reaching the 7 year mark). When Goodyear dealer lifted the wheel off the ground it tilted severely - at that point we could move the wheel easily. Took the disc brake rotor off and the bearing pack literally fell apart in our hands. Lippert had a replacement cartridge but after some discussion with them, elected to send me two new axles with standard, grease type bearings. The assemblies they sent included the disc rotors as the hubs and bearings are completely different.

I need to add that this was the only one of the four for the coach. When we replaced the axles we checked the other three and they were all fine - we disassembled one of them and it was in good shape internally as well.

Would I go back to Nev-R-Lube bearings? As I sit here I don't believe so. If I had them on my unit already I'd leave them on and continue to do the testing - I'd continue to take hub temperatures at rest stops (good practice with either type of bearings plus it gives me the opportunity to check the tires.) I never thought of carrying a spare cartridge but that is a great idea as well. Some folks carry a spare set of wheel bearings for the standard type so why not a cartridge.

Bottom line: Just as you check the oil in your tow vehicle, air pressure on all the tires, just add this to the list of things to look at and enjoy your coach.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
What is this temperature gauge that you guys are using to check hub temps :confused:

ksucats

I use an infrared thermometer that I got from Sears. I've seen similar models elsewhere. I look for variations in temperatures for the hubs, wheels and tires -- always noticing that the side where the sun is run higher than the off-sun side even when running down the road -- but not by much. Normally I see temperatures with 5 or so degrees of one tire to the other.