AC bogs and stops generator, so which is it? Gen or AC

Toterhome

I will try to keep this simple. Spring time generator running ruff. Installed new pump, filter and ran carb cleaner through it as I suspected some varnish. Did all that and it seemed good. AC worked fine on shore power and didn't need the Gen to run it until this weekend. Now I suspected a plugged fuel line to the generator as a kid lost the tab to the "fuel conditioner" that I put in the fall before storage. So when the running the AC it started to spit and sputter and I disconnected the fuel line and blew into it and then it would run fine for while. This started getting progressively more frequent. I decided that maybe I should plug the rig into the Toterhome generator, "we have a fifth wheel" and it immediately dragged it down. On a side note we did have cool air while it was working. So is it the AC? Need a new unit? or something stupid. As you can tell this could be several different problems. With out AC the generator run OK, but not as smooth as I would think, but didn't have to disconnect the fuel line and blow? OK, stop laughing and help me. LOL

David

avvidclif

Either should run an AC without any problem, just not as much margin on the 4500. I would say you have bad gas in the 5er. If the AC in the toter was running and you plugged in the 5er it may have been too much.

Toterhome

Toter didn't have anything plugged to it but the RV fifth wheel. It is a stand alone generator on the truck

Glad you thinking though

David

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
You could try loading the generator with other high wattage items like a coffee maker, blow dryer and microwave all at once. You would be drawing close to 4000 watts with those combined. If the generator doesn't choke with that load you know the problem is elsewhere.

Toterhome

Good thought, wife did run both those items, "although not at the same and I she knows to turn off the AC prior to either of their uses" but when they ran, Generator was fine

David

carl.swoyer

You could get a load test done. This will tell you what has the highest level of amperage. One circuit at a time

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Toterhome

Well I have solved the problem. It was indeed the AC. Over amps and struggling at best. So a new unit was installed. AMAZINGLY, we have an extended warranty that was transferred from the original owner to use. I am please to announce that it actually worked. Much to my surprise and the RV tech. They covered $1,200 of the $1,300 bill. I was thrilled to learn this. Even the Tech was surprised. He said most are absolute junk. I got lucky, first time ever I think.

end of update, on to the next disaster. "if it was easy, anyone could do it"

Thunderbolt

Two thoughts to add to this:

1. Make sure that the electric heating element in the water heater is off. Lots of watts there.

2. I would have the circuit breakers checked on the gen set. They should have opened to protect the gen set.