access to ods landing gear leg for conversion to dual motor

rick_debbie_gallant

How does one gain access to the landing gear leg on the off door side? it seems to be surrounded by metal. any suggestions would be great.

thank you

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Odd that your's is blocked unless they did a major redo of the front compartment between 2009 and 2010. Both of mine were readily accessible from inside the "garage." When I converted to the Ground Control jacks, I just sat inside the compartment and did it.

JohnDar

Jim, not sure if question was for me or Jondar. However as far as I know I do not have the prep.

Had to be for you, Rick. I don't have a gen prep on mine and both front jacks are readily accessible. I know on some BC's, the ODS jack was mounted outside the garage and blocked by the compartment wall, but not on the 3670.

I take it you're down south someplace, or I'd come over and give you a hand.

JohnDar

That's the system I installed on my rig. Took me about 12 hours over two days to do it by myself. Had to work at the storage yard, 10 miles from home. I went with Grade 8 nuts and bolts to mount the rear jacks, rather than the lower grade self-tappers that came with it. It's an excellent system, but if you use their fasteners, watch the torque . The instructions will have you snapping them.

jimtoo

Rick, what about access through the propane tank area? Is the wall behind the tank removable? I don't have a 3670,,, so just thinking. :)

Jim M

mobilcastle

That's the system I installed on my rig. Took me about 12 hours over two days to do it by myself. Had to work at the storage yard, 10 miles from home. I went with Grade 8 nuts and bolts to mount the rear jacks, rather than the lower grade self-tappers that came with it. It's an excellent system, but if you use their fasteners, watch the torque . The instructions will have you snapping them.
Thanks for the info

wdk450

I would call Heartland service at the phone number at the top left of the portal page. Have your VIN number ready. They should be able to tell you how to access your ODS landing gear leg.

rick_debbie_gallant

How about a photo, Rick? I'm curious to know how your compartment is put together.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21359774879.356218.jpg

ODS FROM INSIDE. ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21359774960.443432.jpg

ODS from lp tank comp. ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21359775053.464588.jpg
ODS from lp tank comp

These are some pictures of the area where the slave landing gear is located. I think I will enter through the propane locker.

JohnDar

Hard to make it out, Rick, but do you have the hydraulic front jacks? Regardless, if your ODS jack is obscured by the compartment wall and the propane sheet metal, then your front end is put together different than mine. Could be having the OEM electric jacks required both of them be mounted "inside" the front compartment, which made installing the Reico-Titan system easy.

The jack has to be mounted to the same vertical structural member as mine, so you might be able to access the lower retaining bolt from underneath. The upper one may require "modifying" the propane cabinet. You could cut an opening large enough to work through and then cover it with a piece of galvanized sheet metal a bit larger.

mobilcastle

Hard to make it out, Rick, but do you have the hydraulic front jacks? Regardless, if your ODS jack is obscured by the compartment wall and the propane sheet metal, then your front end is put together different than mine. Could be having the OEM electric jacks required both of them be mounted "inside" the front compartment, which made installing the Reico-Titan system easy.

The jack has to be mounted to the same vertical structural member as mine, so you might be able to access the lower retaining bolt from underneath. The upper one may require "modifying" the propane cabinet. You could cut an opening large enough to work through and then cover it with a piece of galvanized sheet metal a bit larger.
I checked my invoice and mine was not ordered with gen prep. It is enclosed like the pictures show. I think opening up the sheet metal is a good way to access it as the metal interior wall is much heavier metal to work with. I have electric jacks. I will look closely at this in the spring and probably make an opening to access that jack. I always like to be prepared.

JohnDar

I checked my invoice and mine was not ordered with gen prep. It is enclosed like the pictures show. I think opening up the sheet metal is a good way to access it as the metal interior wall is much heavier metal to work with. I have electric jacks. I will look closely at this in the spring and probably make an opening to access that jack. I always like to be prepared.

Beats me why they changed the compartment. But other than that, the rest of the Ground Control install should be no problem.

rick_debbie_gallant

Beats me why they changed the compartment. But other than that, the rest of the Ground Control install should be no problem.

Who knows. It is surrounded by metal, I will be cutting through the sheet metal in the lp locker. The ground control is a little pricey for me though. Will just opt for the dual motor. Still have to determine why the DS motor won't lift.