AC's Keep freezing up in my 2015 Heartland Cyclone 4200 HD - Dometic 13,500

apc427

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? If we turn the AC's on less than 74 degrees they freeze up. It's currently 90 degrees in my living room. The back AC cools but only at 74 degrees before freezing up.

Lynn1130

How high is the humidity? If it is very humid outside they will freeze up. There may be other methods but I found raising the inside temp so that they get some cycle time helps defrost the coils.

apc427

My weather app says 53% humidity. Maybe keeping it at 74 degrees is where it has to be right now. We did figure out something though. The reason it is so hot in our main living area is because the compressor isn't kicking on. Apparently the fan kicks on first and then the compressor is supposed to come on up to two minutes later. We don't hear the compressor kicking on in the living room AC and we just realized that. The bedroom and toy hauler AC's work as long as we don't turn it down too low. Keeps the RV in general too warm. We will work on getting the middle AC compressor working and wait and see if a lower outside humidity will make a difference. Should we call the manufacturer directly or do we need to call the dealership first re the compressor?

justafordguy

The dealer will handle the warranty but you will have to have a one of their dealers do the install. I just went through having Dometic replace one of my new a/c units a few weeks ago. Call Dometic and ask them for a dealer near you.

rexnar

We have a 2015 cyclone 4100 the bedroom AC kicks on and off ALL THE TIME! Stays on for several seconds kicks off the right back on. I layer awake the other night and listened to to it to see what was happening. The compressor isn't kicking on every time. If it kicks on it stays on a little longer kicks off then right back on. It's really irritating. It's cooling but the constant back and forth is more than we can handle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rexnar

If you have it on 74-75 it does this but if you run it on 73 it works well but it's COLD. Ran it on 76 and it works well but it's not cool enough.

b1badas

apc427, I am experiencing the exact same problems with mine. The LR AC freezes up and drips water in the RV, even set at 80 degrees.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Put you fan on high. If it is on auto it might not blow enough air across the coils to keep it from freezing up.

I am, Or rather was, having this exact same issue in my less than a month old 3160EL. Needless to say I was not very happy. I just tried putting them on High and low and behold the they grabbed another gear and its cooling off. I really wish my dealer was half as helpful as this forum. Thanks guys!

apc427

I tried running on high still freezes, but not as often. I contacted heartland on this matter, waiting on reply from them

apc427

my husband just flipped it from high to low and the compressor kicked on like you said! I don't get it, these things make no sense but it's cooling off now. thanks!

apc427

Ok, to follow up on our initial issue, the compressor in the LR went out. The AC in the bedroom keeps freezing up. The AC in the toy hauler area (not ducted) works fine if we shut the door. If we leave the door open it also freezes up. Temperatures outside are in the 90's, which is low for Houston TX this time of year. Our ACs are 13.5 Dometics. There are 5 cyclones in our park and everyone is having trouble keeping the unit cool. Basically, the ACs are not powerful enough. After calling Heartland and being told that we needed to take it in to dealership and have them document everything, send the documentation to Heartland, then Heartland would send the same replacement, have to go back to the dealership to have the new one installed, etc, we decided that would take too long and it's too hot to wait that long. We also decided that even though it's all covered by warranty, they would be putting the same AC back on that is incapable of keeping up with the Texas heat. We took our rig to a local dealership who replaced our LR & BR ACs with Coleman 15.5's with heat pumps for the winter. the difference is amazing. They are so much quieter as well and they keep the rig very cool. It cost us $3,200 with labor. This is our home, and it was a good investment. The RV repair shop called the Dometic 13.5 a styrofoam box and doesn't recommend them. We are very happy with our decision.