Added New Awning LEDs

sjs731

Circusbear, I usually don't get my rig out of storage until late April and right now we still have about 2 feet of snow on the ground so that will probably be true again. I can send more pictures then if you need them. Also leave plenty of slack wire behind the basement all if you mount switches like mine so you are able to take the wall down if need be without unhooking wires.

Steve and Carrie
HOC #2252
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MCTalley

I just installed the Dometic set on our coach today. I stuck the lights on the side of the trailer just under the awning (so it works rolled in or out). I ran the wiring down the awning bracket alongside the awning motor wire and drilled a hole through the wall to the inside next to the awning wire's hole.

I found where the awning wire comes inside in the bottom corner of our washer/dryer closet and was able to pull the LED wiring up and into the closet via the same hole. For right now, it's using the 110v to 12v adapter (so it relies on 110v power), but I may eventually pull a 12V circuit to it (there is a provision to hardwire 12v to the control box).

Attachments

• 130430-02.JPG
    130430-02.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 361
  • 130430-03.JPG
    130430-03.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 344
  • 130430-04.JPG
    130430-04.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 347
  • 130430-08.JPG
    130430-08.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 326

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
When I first saw this on the forum, I followed the link and I am sure they were $79.00, now I see they are $239.00 at Camping world. Has anyone got a solid dealer that will give a good price?

MCTalley

Correct. The $239 kit was on sale last week, at least, in store for $179. I've seen other kits online and at our dealer for less money, but looked like they needed more wiring to actually build them in, as opposed to climbing up and hooking/unhooking them every time you pack up to move.

FiremanBill

I just added some to mine on the rear awning (permanent) and the rear door that I attached the LED strips to strip magnets and put up when the door is open. Got the whole set from Amazon with a music box that makes the tri colored LED's flash to the music. Got it all for under $100

Attachments

• led.jpg
    led.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 307

talley

This is a great mod and you will enjoy the light and effect on your rig. I did mine along the base of the awning and plugged into the switch activited 110V power outlight near the awning rail. I did install an exterior weather-proof box for the plug. I bought the 110V LED online 4 years ago for about $120... don't do dry camping. I believe the 12V cost quite a bit more. Either way (power supply) it is worth the effort.

zigzag3337

Well, Richard and Kim I think you need more practice and a Bar BQ at my house.
Of course I'll supply all the lights wiring and food.
That way you can continue to fine tune your skills and knowledge base.
I just want you both to know I belive in you! :angel:
Let me know if this is working....
Great Job you have lots of talent.

Tumble Weed, if we didn't live so far apart, I would be more then happy to help you out on the install. It's really a simple installation, just time consuming.

After reading this thread again, I would have never thought that a simple idea would get this much attention. I know for some that the extension cord method may not work for you, but I can say that it's very easy to hook up. Sometimes when we only open the big awning, I don't even hook up the rear lights.

Between the Blue LED lights and the blue bucket light, our rig can be seen from anywhere within the campground....lol

MdMike

I have a few questions for those that mounted the LED strips and have had good luck so far:

1. Where did you purchase your strips? I see them on Amazon and EBAY but am wary. Looking for advice on a seller.
2. If the tape did not hold the strip securely, what kind of adhesive did you use to adhere the strip to the camper body?
3. Are they best suited to be wired to 12volt supply or thru an A/C power supply?

Thanks in advance for the answers!
Mike

sjs731

I bought mine on Amazon. I used clear silicone above and below my strip. I mounted it on the side of the rig in case I need to roll the awning up. I also bought the 12v version and wired them right into an empty fuse spot so I can use them on battery power also.

Steve and Carrie
HOC #2252
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zigzag3337

I have a few questions for those that mounted the LED strips and have had good luck so far:

1. Where did you purchase your strips? I see them on Amazon and EBAY but am wary. Looking for advice on a seller.
2. If the tape did not hold the strip securely, what kind of adhesive did you use to adhere the strip to the camper body?
3. Are they best suited to be wired to 12volt supply or thru an A/C power supply?

Thanks in advance for the answers!
Mike

Hey Mike,
To answer your questions,

1- I bought mine off of eBay. I know there is a bunch if them on there, but what I did to narrow down the search was, I searched for 50/50 RGB LEDs, waterproof and being that I have 32' of awning on our rig, I looked for two reels in the deal.

2- The reels come with 3M tape on the back, but before I stuck mine on, I cleaned the location with some alcohol first, then afterwards, I ran ahead of clear silicon down both sides if the LED strip. On the end where the wiring is, I removed one if the awning screws to the mounting bracket and installed a coax cable loop to run the wire through. I then resealed everything with silicon including the cable strap. So far, I haven't had any issues with the light strip coming off.

3- I used the 12v power setup verses the 120v power supply setup. Mainly for two reasons. One the cost as its another $25 for something that I didn't need and two, I wanted to be able to run mine when I wasn't hooked up to power. I also ran the controller through a light switch, but that was just because I didn't want to keep the controller powered up all the time.

Hope this helps and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Good luck!

MdMike

Lighting Update:

Well the strip I bought off of E-Bay was a bust.

Great lights, bright, 3 dimming options, 24 different color combinations. BUT... The waterproofing was a silicone sleeve that would not hold ANY types of mounting tape, including the stuff it came with. Not a total $30 dollar loss. I used them inside the house lining my front Bay Window so I can change colors when the Mrs. Decorates the window.

So I was looking again and found a set (a bit cheaper then the Dometic sets (I paid $150) but the remote had less color options) and installed them. Prepped the coach with an alcohol wipe down, hung the lights, ran my wiring and did a test. AWESOME, or so I thought...

The Mrs. comes home later so I walk out like a proud kid with a straight A report card to show her and the entire strip had come off and was hanging from the wiring! Needless to say I was upset!

Ran to Lowe's, bought some 20lb. 3-M out door tape, cleaned the coach again, hung the new tape, cleaned the back of the light strip and boom, lights stayed up! Worked great all weekend on our last outing, stayed on during transport and look awesome!

mmomega

AnyTimer
I'll be installing mine this Thursday while at Texas Motor Speedway, I always need some kind of project while camping.

So I plan on doing the awning lights plus I'm going to run 2 sets (32') under each side of the RV and have them hardwired on a LED rocker switch in the basement beside the AutoLevel Up Panel. I plan on hardwiring and installing the switch for the awning lights there also.

I'll toss some pictures up of the install this weekend.