Adding 12v power outlets

IP076

Has anyone added any 12v power receptacles to their rig?

I notice there’s an empty space on my fuse block, so I imagine I can tap into that for the source. I’m looking to add a pair of 5v/2.1a USB plugs into the drawer located in the steps. I figure this would be handy for charging things like a phone, tablet, camera, or the remote control for the RV systems. I’m also going to add a standard 12v lighter style plug in the aft wall of the basement storage on the right side. This will be used to power my Green Mountain Grills smoker. The grill requires 12v/10a. I’m thinking I’ll use a 20a fuse and 12ga stranded wire. I’ll wire the outlets in parallel. The total run shouldn’t be more than 15’ of wire.

Any thoughts from the experts?

RoadJunkie

I used this device with a fused (50 amp) primary line directly from the battery. I then ran appropriately sized wire to each auxiliary outlet or use.

IP076

I had actually thought about doing that, and then I realized there was still an open terminal in my fuse box. Might be worth doing just considering any additional expansion later on.

IP076

Good point. 15a should be enough if every receptacle was used, 10a would cover the smoker. Maybe splitting using a new fuse block would be safest.

danemayer

The fuse/circuit breaker size should be matched to the wire and loads. If using wire and receptacles rated for 10 amps, you should get a 10 amp breaker or fuse. If the breaker or fuse is larger, you could create an unsafe situation.