Adding propane tanks

rmelder

LSU5000
I have a propane generator, which uses alot of propane to run ( bad info from my salesperson). I need to add additional propane. Any suggestions on how. I have a Ford F250 Super Duty 4X4 with short bed and tool box. I would like to know if you can transport propane tank lying down in bed of truck and then stand them upright when you get ready to use. If you can I could get two 100# cylinders which would give me 48 additional hrs of use. Thanks.

snuffy

Sometimes propane will freeze up if horizontal and shaken. It may take a while to settle down to keep that from occuring.

truknutt

Committed Member
I tell you that I have always heard the same..."transport in the upright position only."

I always wondered how come this rule didn't apply to our LP-run forklifts??!!

Have you considered a permanent mounted tank similiar to those on the Class A' motorcoaches; or I have also seen horizontal tanks mounted in diesel truck beds for "propane injection" purposes ("Diesel Nitrous").

Just throwing it out there.....

SmokeyBare

A call to the local propane dealer will give you the very best answer... bet they will deliver you a tank... of course for a charge. I've seen many a RV.... with a large tank outside... often under the front.

Good Luck ! Marv

truknutt

Committed Member
Thanks John....Hank Hill (of "King of the Hill" fame) would be so proud of you right now!!

Pictures helped the light bulb turn on for me!!

Relief valve, relief valve...gotta keep saying it so it will stay with me!

Thanks again,

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Thanks John....Hank Hill (of "King of the Hill" fame) would be so proud of you right now!!

Pictures helped the light bulb turn on for me!!

Relief valve, relief valve...gotta keep saying it so it will stay with me!

Thanks again,

Glad to help. Stay safe!

Tankie

rmelder,
I have one of those 100# tanks works great, but they weigh about 160 lbs. when full. Very heavy if only one doing the lifting. I had it filled at a major propane dealer and was told I could haul it on its side. I do not travel with it full only from being filled back to 5th wheel. Good luck

HappyKayakers

I second the vote for talking to a local propane dealer. There are restrictions about how much propane you can carry inside an "enclosed" vehicle. That wouldn't apply to carrying the tanks in the bed but with that much propane you might require those nifty hazard labels on the back of the truck.

Pulltab

Problem with laying them down is that if they leak out the valve it is liquid propane and the expansion rate is incredible so a little goes a long way. Forklift tanks are designed to work laying down.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Problem with laying them down is that if they leak out the valve it is liquid propane and the expansion rate is incredible so a little goes a long way. Forklift tanks are designed to work laying down.

Tell us about your tankless heater.

Pulltab

Tell us about your tankless heater.
Okie Dokie! It fits right in the space the tank unit comes out of, although the size could be much smaller but they made it fit. All the hot water you can stand for as long as you want. Down side is if you like to take navy showers, you will get a blast of cold water a few seconds after turning water back on because the burner is flow controlled. It is very quiet without that loud roar your use to. It uses less propane and you dont have to worry about keeping water hot. Installation is pretty easy but the main problem I had was the flush mount door wont fit between the studs so I had to use a surface mount door. The water takes probably 2-3 seconds longer to get hot water to you due to the flow meter having to sense movement to start the flame, and the water is PLENTY HOT!

Precision Temp

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Will the tankless water heater work with both AC and propane, or 12volt and propane?
It would be good if it did, cause if I am plugged in to shore power I use it for the water heater. (Why use my propane if I am paying for the electricity.)

propane generators

I have a propane generator installed in my fifth wheel. Like you the dealer talked me into it instead of a gas one as the reason being propane does not go bad over time. I carry 2 extra 40lb tanks in bed of tv on their side and it is still not enough to get through a weekend at the races. Will be going with a gas generator next time.