Adding stabilizers

theroes

I am thinking about adding the crack down stabilizing jacks to my Fifth wheel behind the wheels. I have the factory installed electric stabilizers in the back. I put the steadyfast on a couple years ago and still have some movement in the trailer. I am thinking I am getting the bounce from the tires so my thought was to put the new stabilizers behind the wheels on each side. What does everyone think? Will it take the bounce out? As I look around and see the trailers with the automatic levels they have the stabilizers closer to the wheels.

Thank you for your help!

jimtoo

Hi David,

Yes, they will help. I added the crank downs to my 3055RL but just in front of the wheels. I had to make some angle iron brackets to get the jacks down low enough to use the crank, but was not to hard to do. They do take the bounce out of the tires (frame). I always just leveled up, setup and then run the center ones down till they took a little tension. I had them mounted to where I used my electric drill, screwdriver and socket to run them down and up.

I have not put them on my 3670 yet, but plan on it when it warms up and I get to use the unit more.

Jim M

rxbristol

When we're staying in a location for a while, I use four...two in front and two in the rear of the frame. I did not bolt ours on. They make a difference and I like them.

Garypowell

I have installed 4 crank downs and bolted them to the frame. Two just in front of the steps and two about midway between wheels and the end of the unit. In general they help a lot but lots of factors like what you are parked on that make a difference.

I also use pin tripod as we have washer dryer in nose.

I get get level and put pin jack in tight and then let down front scissor jacks. Then I bump the nose down. This puts more pressure on these two jack points than I can crank in by hand. Then drop the back scissor jacks and the rear electric jack.

Works very well.

PWHanscom

Hi David,

If you add a pair of Scissor Jacks about 4-6 feet in from the rear of the trailer and move the Steadyfast brace to one of them it will take most of the movement out.

Paul

caissiel

I have my 7k lbs scissor jacks just behind the wheels. It does work. Use them only if we are parked for extended stay.