Advice with Selecting Hitch for Silverado 3500HD SRW/3585rl

Ziarig

My first post!

We will soon be the owner of a 2013 Silverado 350HD 4X4 SRW Standard bed truck and a 2013 Bighorn 3585rl; both are on order. I am requesting advice from current owners on what fifth wheel hitch to purchase. I understand that a Slider Hitch is probably not necessary due to the Bighorns advertised 88 degree turning radius with short bed trucks, however a Slider would be more versatile. I am concerned that the Slider adds to the hitch's base height which could be a problem for my situation. For instance, the Curt Q20 base height without slider is advertised to be adjustable from 13 to 17 inches. It appears the addition of slider rails to the Curt Q20 would add several inches to the minimum hitch height, which gives me some concern.

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

jnbhobe

Re: Advice with Selecting Hitch for Silverado 350HD SRW/3585rl

Pull-Rite Super-glide is as good as it gets !!

scottyb

If you want a clean bed when the hitch is out, and the possibility of pulling a gooseneck trailer, should you ever need to, the B&W Companion with the flip-over hitch is a great option.

RCF

Pull-Rite Super-glide is as good as it gets !!

This is exactly what I did, and i'm pretty sure my Ford is taller than a Chevy.

I went with the 18k Superglide, and, while I haven't towed alot with it yet, it seems very solid and locks the pin in nice and tight, minimal slop.

JeffG1947

We ordered the hitch assembly with the truck and then purchased a Reese Elite 18K. Like the B&W Companion mentioned by scottyb this leaves the bed clear when the hitch is removed. I also believe with this setup the hitch takes up less room in the bed. We have same trailer and haven't had any problems - don't see the need for the extra $ for the slider hitches.

Westwind

I have a Hensley Trailer Saver BD3 which was a swap deal on our Hensley Arrow from our Travel Trailer which Hensley was offering at the time. The old TT hitch was a $1,000 credit towards the fifthwheel hitch. The trailer Saver BD3 is two parts and can be removed but it is heavy, were I to do it on a regular basis I'd get a small electric hoist. With the 88 degree cap I figured I'd go with the basic hitch. If it didn't work trailer saver has a base that acts as a slider. But we have completed a 4K trip without any problems so I'm happy.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
I've had the B&W with the companion 5th wheel and currently have the Reese 25K Elite. I prefer the B&W for a few reasons:

1) the B&W has a shock absorber for the side to side motion so it doesn't clank back and forth when not towing

2) The jaws are much more user friendly IMO. Much easier to unhook when not on a level surface.

3) when installed it is a very quite hitch. Our elite installs into four "pucks" and there is a little bit of play causing a banging noise when stopping and starting. The B&W mounts to a post and is solid.

As mentioned both leave the bed completely clear when removed.

Good luck and enjoy your new outfit.

RCF

FYI - The Superglide is not much more $ than the Reese Elite + Ford factory 5th wheel prep (and a bit less $ if your truck is not a Ford or doesn't have the Ford OEM prep kit), takes up no more room, has a spring to eliminate side-to-side play when not towing, is quiet and is completely removeable as well. And has the sliding capability. That's why I went with the Superglide over the Reese/factory set-up.