After market embedded awning lights

Just came back from wandering around the annual Virginia Beach RV show. Certainly not in any position to trade up just yet, but saw several units with a unique lighting scheme embedded in the awning. They appear to be LED lights running the of the roller mechanisim and are a brilliant blue. Bright enough for after dark mood lighting but not so much that they are uncomfortable to stare directly into. The units I saw that offered this amenity all had one thing in common, they each had the electric awning proper which I suppose makes sense in that once extended, the lights are energized. Note that I did not see any individual 'on-off' switch for the embedded lights although I would expect there to be some way of controlling that aspect of the option. The local dealer where I bought my current camper was on site with a very nice set up displaying all of their wares; the sales rep who sold me my current rig was on hand and immediately recognized myself and my wife as we wandered from unit to unit. We engaged in some smal talk and eventually the topic of the lights came up and I asked if they were an after market option; ever the salesman, he offered that 'yes, they are an after market option for a price, but are included, free of charge in a new camper'; as I said, ever the salesman......etc. After a few laughs together, I said I would call him to inquire about the reality of any after market options for such an add on, but figured I would task the resident forum experts first. Considering that my camper is no longer in production, it may not be a 'simple matter of contacting the factory, etc.'

Question: Is anyone aware of what I am talking about?

Question: If so, are you aware of any after market modifications that could embed these LED lights into the awning deploying frame proper?

Question: If so, any guess as to how much and would it potentially overtax the electrical system already in place?

Current rig: Heartland Edge, Model M22
Thanks
Scott

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I just looked at some aftermarket LED lights at the flea market here in south Texas. The light strip was a stick on type, 16 feet in length. Cut to any desired length.
There was a remote control that allowed changing the colors. Red, blue or green. They could be steady, blinking or chasing. In one color or a combination of the colors. You could change the speed of chasing and dim as well.
Will work on 12 volt DC or 110 AC.
Light strip, remote and power source....$55.
I have seen these on Ebay as well.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

DougS

Doug S
Some of us at the Tampa Show saw similar lights, but they were on some Big Horns and Big Country units. Instead of in the roller unit, they were attached to the outside wall right under the awning, so some of us bought them from a vender. Not only do these units have the one LED light, but 15 other colors and can change colors. The strip is 16' 4", has double sided tape, and can be cut to fit. Install looks easy enough, running a wire down the awning behind a plastic cover and then into the wall to a 12 volt source. I had mine up temporarily at the camp site, and they really throw off some light. Now that I am home, install will be tomorrow.

GOTTOYS

I find it interesting that most of the colored awning lights and other colored outside lights are most common in the east coast area. I have hardly ever seen them west of the Mississippi. I don't have a problem with them, just sayin..Don

sjs731

uvatetad.jpg
ery3e6a7.jpg
u4a7asyn.jpg
ename9ys.jpg

Here's pics of my set up. In one of the pics it shows the 16' strip I have mounted underneath on the frame. One on each side with dimmer. I have more pics also. There is a thread several people have posted pics on. PM me if you need more pics.

Steve and Carrie
HOC #2252
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

traveler44

Our Bighorn has a special receptacle for plugging in awning lights with a switch in our control panel that allows us to activate them if we wish to. It looks like it would be pretty easy to set something like that up on our unit too. I did have a strip of LEDs that I would string along the bottom edge that I would flip on at night after the bobcat attacked the folks down the road and our site was a little darker than what I liked. Still with the extra light it would raise the hair on my neck when I would here the scream of a cat at night for a while. Tom

DougS

Doug S
Looks good Steve and Carrie. Installing mine now. Did you find the tape to hold well? I plan to remove the wax and grime first with alcohol which should help the tape to hold. Hope I can get across the Mississippi River this summer with the lights installed.

sjs731

Doug, I used a small amount of clear silicone along the edge just to try to make sure no water would get behind and loosen the tape up. I guess we'll see if it holds. I cleaned the side with alcohol before applying but I guess time will tell if the silicone holds. Underneath on the frame I used a lot of silicone because of road spray etc. I put it in storage right after that so we'll see those year how they hold up. -25 here for a low temp tonight. Bring on spring.

Steve and Carrie
HOC #2252

sjs731

Our Bighorn has a special receptacle for plugging in awning lights with a switch in our control panel that allows us to activate them if we wish to. It looks like it would be pretty easy to set something like that up on our unit too. I did have a strip of LEDs that I would string along the bottom edge that I would flip on at night after the bobcat attacked the folks down the road and our site was a little darker than what I liked. Still with the extra light it would raise the hair on my neck when I would here the scream of a cat at night for a while. Tom

Our rig does too but I wired them into the 12v fuse panel so I can use them when we camp without hookups. Also the remote control sensor is not waterproof so I wanted it in the basement. Lots of cutting, splicing an soldering but worth it.

Steve and Carrie
HOC #2252

sjs731

vyze4epu.jpg
Switches, dimmer and remote sensor in basement.

Steve and Carrie
HOC #2252

Phatkd

I had the dealership install the Dometic 16 foot LED light strip about an inch under the awning so that I could have them on even when the awning was retracted. Being up that high also gives a glowing effect under the awning when it out all the way also. It has 7 colours, and as previously mentioned it can be a solid colour (it scrolls though the 7 colours until you find the desired colour that you are in the mood for) and also does a slow roll from colour to colour, does a fast blinking from colour to colour or a slow blinking and a slow roll as well.

It is controlled with an RF remote that has worked for me up to 200 feet away and is hard wired to the 12v system and also has a plug in on the control module for it to run off 110v volt as well if you are plugged in.

If you are interested I can take some pictures of the install and maybe a short video for you upon your request.

Phatkd

Not sure how to upload videos on this forum, but I hope these pics help. I can shoot a full video when it gets darker and go through the whole thing if you want?

Attachments

• IMG_1180.jpg
    IMG_1180.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_1178.jpg
    IMG_1178.jpg
    541.1 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_1176.jpg
    IMG_1176.jpg
    442.8 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_1177.jpg
    IMG_1177.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 193

Phatkd

Yeah the strobe at night would send me into a coma, and my wife would have a migraine for a couple of days. But the solid colours are pretty cool at night with the awning out. It gives a really neat effect.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Yeah the strobe at night would send me into a coma, and my wife would have a migraine for a couple of days. But the solid colours are pretty cool at night with the awning out. It gives a really neat effect.
Now if you could get the strobe effect to react to a music beat, it might be pretty interesting.

DougS

Doug S
Steve, I believe you are right by using clear silicone along the edges, I had a bit of a time holding the LED lights on.

sjs731

Doug, I made a couple trips after the lights were on the side of the rig and try stayed on fine. I'm guessing at highway speed if any of the tape loosened or water got under them there might be a ribbon of LEDs flapping in the wind.

Steve and Carrie
HOC #2252

dennie724

Can you explain how you hard wired to your 12V system? We have a 2013 Big Country. Also the white cord that comes with the Dometic 7-LED light kit, the instuctions are vague on what to do with the excess cord?