Air Hitch and Pin Box Options Heavy Toy Haulers

Need Help making up my mind, TV 2013 F350 DW with Air Bags, 2015 4100 Cyclone. Have read posts for two weeks trying to make the right move, Option #1 TS3, Question to people that have one, will this hitch take out the chucking?
Option #2 Mor-Ryde, Question to people that have one on a 4100 or 4200, are you happy with the ride? do you wish you had gone with a air hitch? or mybe TrailAir Flexair. help me spend some money............Thanks Steve

OEFVET

If you decide on the Trailer Saver TS3 you will not need an air bag pin box. I have the TS3 with a MORryde 21K pin box. I have NEVER experienced chucking with this combination.

Brazos

I have a TS3 and have not had any chucking. I have found the best ride is at the line on the side of the hitch that the factory paints on the hitch. I did order and install the air pump for the hitch. That makes it so easy to air up the bags to the proper level.

BLHFUN

Other side of the coin... I don't have either, and my ride sucks! Chuck, chuck, chuck! I haven't ordered it yet, but I'm going with the Mor-Ryde pin box and sticking with my B&W companion hitch. ( I should order it now.. :)

OEFVET

The MORryde pin box will improve your ride and should eliminate your chucking. Just make sure to get the 21k pinbox. You will need it for your 4200.

slborba

Steve, I have a Landmark Monticello (18K lbs) and have the TS3 hitch and TrailAir pin.....amazing ride. My TV is a 2014 Silverado 3500HD dually without airbags.
My observation: ZERO chucking, in fact ride is so nice with the air combo I don't feel that 18K FW in tow. I agree with Brazos - air to white line, not over or under to get the best ride.

Let us know what you decide.

Steve

porthole

Retired
Since I can adjust my hitch air bags on the run I tend to play around with the pressure.
What I have found, that with the pin box weight up (example garage empty), the ride is better with the line about 1/2" to 1" high.
Lighter pin box, closer to the "line-level".

There are other air ride hitches out there, Mountain Masters has an interesting hitch.
I wouldn't buy another $2000+ hitch without verifying that it can be serviced, preferably by me. The Ts-3 is not one of those easy to service types.

BLHFUN

The MORryde pin box will improve your ride and should eliminate your chucking. Just make sure to get the 21k pinbox. You will need it for your 4200.

yep. I spoke to Mor-Ryde a few weeks ago, but I wrote down the Wrong serial number of my current lippert pin box. It was the frame number on the side and not the pin box itself. looks like I have to remove the cover to get the correct SN.

BLHFUN

Bart, does the CY use a different frame than a 1621 HD?

There are 6 Specific Lippert PIN Boxes - 1621 and 1716 are both LONG boxes - But what I wrote down didn't match any MR Reference to Lippert - Turns out the SN I wrote down was attached to the FIXED Frame an not the Removable PIN BOX piece that I'm replacing. ( I'll take pictures this afternoon )

Im going to start with a Mor-Ryde RBP, now which one? 14K to 18K part #05. or 21k part #06. My 4100 has a better ride with my RZR 1000 loaded, So I'm right at 18K. without RZR I'm at 17500 LBS

porthole

Retired
Im going to start with a Mor-Ryde RBP, now which one? 14K to 18K part #05. or 21k part #06. My 4100 has a better ride with my RZR 1000 loaded, So I'm right at 18K. without RZR I'm at 17500 LBS

Why would you consider a pin box rated at 18,000 pounds towing 17,500 or more? You leave yourself no reserve.
Keep in mind when you order a MOR/ryde pin box, the internal rubber damper is the same rubber shear spring used on the MOR/ryde IS.

That means that you have more then one available durometer (that is how MOR/ryde rates their springs) of shear springs.

The trailer overall weight will determine selection of the shear spring. Sometimes that is trial and error. My pin box came with what should have been the optimal spring. But we ended up changing that on one of my service visits.

And, although the ride is decent with a MOR/ryde pinbox, and the way the TS-3 operates reducing chucking, those that have never experienced chucking with any combo, just haven't been down the right road yet :rolleyes:

Porthole, Talking to Mor-Ryde thy said I had a choice, 18K part # RPB72-1671SHD-05 or 21K Part#RPB72-1621SHD-06 So from your experience go with 21K ?

porthole

Retired
Porthole, Talking to Mor-Ryde thy said I had a choice, 18K part # RPB72-1671SHD-05 or 21K Part#RPB72-1621SHD-06 So from your experience go with 21K ?

Experience aside, I just would not use a product rated to tow 18,000 pounds, towing 18,000 pounds - if there is a similar product rated higher.
So in your case, yes, I would go with the 21K rated pin box if available

scottyb

If you don't have the factory 5th wheel prep, then it's debatable. If your F350 has the factory 5th wheel prep, then IMO, it's a no-brainer. Go with either a B&W OEM or the Reese that Ford sells. It would be a shame to miss out on all the advantages of that option. You can add a high quality air ride pin box and dampen the chucking. I had a B&W hitch and 5th Airborne pin box on the 4100, and was very pleased with the ride once I learned the best air pressure. Very importantly, I had a clean truck bed, or a gooseneck hitch when I needed it. I could remove/install the hitch in a few minutes without any tools. I also had the gooseneck ball kit which I used a few times.

porthole

Retired
Looks like I erased my answer - I'll blame the shoulder pain ----

Those with a Ford Super Duty and factory prep have only a few choices when it comes to drop in hitches.
One of those choices is a "picture frame adapter". The adapter will allow you to use any standard Reese rail mount hitch.

Ford Super Duty picture frame adapter

chief916

Steve, I have a Landmark Monticello (18K lbs) and have the TS3 hitch and TrailAir pin.....amazing ride. My TV is a 2014 Silverado 3500HD dually without airbags.
My observation: ZERO chucking, in fact ride is so nice with the air combo I don't feel that 18K FW in tow. I agree with Brazos - air to white line, not over or under to get the best ride.

Let us know what you decide.

Steve
Are you really pleased with the TS3??? the reason I ask is that I just bought a 1997 Volvo road tractor and have been trying to decide if the TS3 is really worth the 2700 bucks. I figure that the cost of the hitch would be worth not tearing my coach up.
v/r
Ben

- - - Updated - - -

Need Help making up my mind, TV 2013 F350 DW with Air Bags, 2015 4100 Cyclone. Have read posts for two weeks trying to make the right move, Option #1 TS3, Question to people that have one, will this hitch take out the chucking?
Option #2 Mor-Ryde, Question to people that have one on a 4100 or 4200, are you happy with the ride? do you wish you had gone with a air hitch? or mybe TrailAir Flexair. help me spend some money............Thanks Steve

Steve, I talked with Aaron last night and he seems very well versed in all this hitch stuff. I plan on calling him today and order the TS3 to tow my 2013 cyclone 4100. I've changed out tow vehicles from a 2005 ford 6.0 to a Volvo vnl road tractor. Hopefully I wont know I'll be towing anything behind me.
v/r
Ben

- - - Updated - - -

Are you really pleased with the TS3??? the reason I ask is that I just bought a 1997 Volvo road tractor and have been trying to decide if the TS3 is really worth the 2700 bucks. I figure that the cost of the hitch would be worth not tearing my coach up.
v/r
Ben

Steve, I talked with Aaron last night and he seems very well versed in all this hitch stuff. I plan on calling him today and order the TS3 to tow my 2013 cyclone 4100. I've changed out tow vehicles from a 2005 ford 6.0 to a Volvo vnl road tractor. Hopefully I wont know I'll be towing anything behind me.
v/r
Ben
Oh I forgot...Aaron works for Hensly..trailer saver...TS3. 1-800-410-6580 ext. 104
- - - Updated - - -

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We love our TS3. My only complaint about it is the paint is flaking off of it with rusting underneath. Seems like the powder coat didn't hold.