Aluminium Wheel Failure

Lou_and_Bette

Wow, Lou, that stinks! We had Maxxis Tires on ours, not the original Towmax, but Tredit never asked anything about what tires were on it.

They requested tire information on the claim form I filled out..if I'd known the ramifications, I'd put the TowMaxx on that rim and gone from there. Glad to hear you and others had good results dealing with Tredit, as for me, I will never intentionally give them any of my money.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Well by 4pm today TREDIT came through. They are replacing the rim plus another at no cost to me. The rims are discontinued so they discounted two more for me at a great rate so I have 4 matching rims. Estimated delivery Friday Sept.2. :cool:

Lou_and_Bette

Well by 4pm today TREDIT came through. They are replacing the rim plus another at no cost to me. The rims are discontinued so they discounted two more for me at a great rate so I have 4 matching rims. Estimated delivery Friday Sept.2. :cool:

Good things happen for very good people and you two are among the best ������

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Good things happen for very good people and you two are among the best ������
Thanks Guys we miss you folks. How is my golf partner Sweat Lou doing?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Lou_and_Bette

Thanks Guys we miss you folks. How is my golf partner Sweat Lou doing?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Not getting to swing the sticks as often as I would like but overall doing great...miss you guys also. Say hi to the Reyes and Protos for us.

tireman9

To all those with wheel failures. Did any of you file a complaint with NHTSA? Wheels like tires are suppose to be able to function without failing as long as you do not exceed their stated ratings.

Jim.Allison

The number one reason an aluminum wheel cracks is poor clamping force. Aluminum wheels without steel inserts should be torqued at installation then again after 50 miles. Additionally an aluminum wheel reinstalled should be initially torqued and re-torqued after 50 miles, all to insure proper clamping force. Other factors affecting clamping force is rust or corrosion between the wheel and the hub, and faulty lug bolts and nuts. It is more likely than not, that a cracked aluminum wheel is due to improper clamping force.

MCTalley

FullSizeRender.jpg

We had one of our tires go flat right after we got set up in our current spot. Didn't notice until we went to retract some side jacks to put blocks under them. Wondered why the trailer kept leaning and the Level-up stopped with an angle error.

Finally ran it to the tire store and they found a leak on the inside of the rim just inside from a spoke. You can't see a crack or anything if you dry and clean it off. Fortunately, we're sitting still for a few weeks. Hopefully can get something in by then.

Trailer just passed the the end of the 1 year warranty. So do I just call Tredit directly? I need to call Heartland and order a couple items tomorrow anyway.

porthole

Retired
View attachment 48289

We had one of our tires go flat right after we got set up in our current spot. Didn't notice until we went to retract some side jacks to put blocks under them. Wondered why the trailer kept leaning and the Level-up stopped with an angle error.

Finally ran it to the tire store and they found a leak on the inside of the rim just inside from a spoke. You can't see a crack or anything if you dry and clean it off. Fortunately, we're sitting still for a few weeks. Hopefully can get something in by then.

Trailer just passed the the end of the 1 year warranty. So do I just call Tredit directly? I need to call Heartland and order a couple items tomorrow anyway.

Call Tredit directly, I think they as well as Hi-Speck wheels have a lifetime warranty.

tireman9

View attachment 48289

Wheel failures like tire failures should be reported to NHTSA. Both components are covered by DOT regs.

MCTalley

Call Tredit directly, I think they as well as Hi-Speck wheels have a lifetime warranty.

Called them up, they had me fill in their on-line warranty information and attached pictures. Within the hour I had an email indicating they're sending me a new wheel free of charge.

Wheel failures like tire failures should be reported to NHTSA. Both components are covered by DOT regs.

I'll look into reporting it.