Aluminum Wheels

Herbiesrig

North Central Region Directors-Retired
Would anyone know who the manufactuer of the aluminum wheels that are on the 2010 Landmark, Augusta? We have had tire problems and it is a good possibility that it is the aluminum wheels that are causing the tires to wear on the inside.

DougS

Doug S
Can't answer the rim question, factory might know if you email a picture of the rim. As for inside wear on tires, your axle might have lost their arch, mine did and wore tires out on the inside. When you look at axle, they should have an arch like a frown.

GOTTOYS

Would anyone know who the manufactuer of the aluminum wheels that are on the 2010 Landmark, Augusta? We have had tire problems and it is a good possibility that it is the aluminum wheels that are causing the tires to wear on the inside.
I spent many years in the auto business...Ain't no way the wheels could cause the tires to wear unevenly. Your tires are most likely wearing on the inside from a misalignment problem. Your RV dealer will not be equipped to check it or correct it without special equipment. Don't waste your time chasing the wheel manufacturer..bring it to a heavy-duty trailer repair shop. One that does suspension repair. Have them check it out and align it. Shouldn't cost over a couple hundred bucks...Good luck..Don

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I spent many years in the auto business...Ain't no way the wheels could cause the tires to wear unevenly. Your tires are most likely wearing on the inside from a misalignment problem. Your RV dealer will not be equipped to check it or correct it without special equipment. Don't waste your time chasing the wheel manufacturer..bring it to a heavy-duty trailer repair shop. One that does suspension repair. Have them check it out and align it. Shouldn't cost over a couple hundred bucks...Good luck..Don

Don is 100% right, I've been pulling heavy junk for years and there is no way the wheels will cause the tires to wear on the inside. Take it to a trailer shop, you won't be sorry.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I gotta disagree with the assumption that the wheels wont cause a tire wear problem. I am in no way, shape or form an expert on tires or wheel, but I will share something that I just heard today. The explanation makes sense to me, kinda, so give this some thought.
I have looked at a lot of tires on many different rigs since I noticed inside tire wear, not only on my current rig, but on the last one as well and most have that wear.
I have heard that Goodyear took it upon themselves to investigate. These wheels are an offset style, meaning that the center of the wheel that bolts to the hub is not in the center of the rim. It is offset from inside edge to outside edge. With the weight that these things are supporting there is enough flex to cause this tire wear. Ideally the center of the wheel should be in the center of the rim. In our case the center is closer to the outside rim than the inside.
I was also told that the wear will stop at a certain point and then the center will wear to a point and then the inside will start the wear cycle again.
I don't know if this is all fact because I have not seen anything in writing from Goodyear, but it kinda makes sense to me.

Peace
Dave

jpdoggett

You may be right but if Goodyear is saying it I would not say it was true what dealing I have had with them thay will say anything other than they have crap for tires. If the offset wheels cause then why don't big rigs have this problem they have a lot more offset

GOTTOYS

Well, I gotta disagree with the assumption that the wheels wont cause a tire wear problem. I am in no way, shape or form an expert on tires or wheel, but I will share something that I just heard today. The explanation makes sense to me, kinda, so give this some thought.
I have looked at a lot of tires on many different rigs since I noticed inside tire wear, not only on my current rig, but on the last one as well and most have that wear.
I have heard that Goodyear took it upon themselves to investigate. These wheels are an offset style, meaning that the center of the wheel that bolts to the hub is not in the center of the rim. It is offset from inside edge to outside edge. With the weight that these things are supporting there is enough flex to cause this tire wear. Ideally the center of the wheel should be in the center of the rim. In our case the center is closer to the outside rim than the inside.
I was also told that the wear will stop at a certain point and then the center will wear to a point and then the inside will start the wear cycle again.
I don't know if this is all fact because I have not seen anything in writing from Goodyear, but it kinda makes sense to me.

Peace
Dave

I don't know Dave. This sounds like a stretch to me. An inch or two offset shouldn't be a big deal. If that's really the case why would the wear stop at some point? I've seen hundreds of vehicles with a negative offset and this was never a problem. Granted they aren't as heavy....I'm just not convinced. If it's that heavy it could be causing a negative camber issue, but again that's an alignment concern. Interesting scenario. Like to see what fixes this...Don

olcoon

Possibly to answer the OP's question...at the rally I talked to Tredit tires after their seminar, and the lady there said they supplied the wheels to Heartland (at least on our Elk Ridge), so maybe you could contact them to find the answer to your question.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Don, Dave and Rex, I'm like Don....many many years working on cars,truck and everything in between. An offset causing a tire to wear bad....well maybe, but not likely. I could happen on some punk kids car that has an 8" offset wheel but just sitting still it will have a negative camber issue. His problem needs to be addressed by a big rig alignment shop and diagnosed as to the cause. The axles on these coachs are simular to the old "I" beams on 20's and 30's cars. Any one remember the term "king pin inclination". Anything off from the hub being in alignment will cause abnormal tire wear. JMHO

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Possibly to answer the OP's question...at the rally I talked to Tredit tires after their seminar, and the lady there said they supplied the wheels to Heartland (at least on our Elk Ridge), so maybe you could contact them to find the answer to your question.

Yes, Tredit can help with the wheel questions. I emailed them to find out what PSI my wheels could handle, since it was not stamped on them anywhere I could find.

We had the inner wear as well. We had our frame was checked for alignment, and it was straight. A "Big Rig" Trailer Repair Shop said our springs were flat, and replaced them. Another RV repair shop seemed to think a bent axle was probably the cause, but it also could have been bad tires in the mix, as we just replaced all 4 and none of them were "round" anymore. We just upgraded to Dexter axles(with brakes), springs, equalizers and tires, because apparently, we put the miles on our ElkRidge... approx. 11,000 miles in 18 mo! PM me if you want more info.

Herbiesrig

Dan just got off the phone with Tredit Tire and Wheel in Elkhart Indiana, they said that they have never had an issue yet with aluminum wheel flexing. Has anyone else had this problem, causing tires to wear on inside. BTW.. we had 8K axles put on in June, 4 new tires.. We just get so tired of everyone we talk to passing the buck to someone else.

On Tredit home page it states the following: Tredit imports tires and wheels from all over the world and prides itself in its service delivering on a JIT basis direct to the manufacturer's production lines. What is wrong with "Made In The USA"

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Dan just got off the phone with Tredit Tire and Wheel in Elkhart Indiana, they said that they have never had an issue yet with aluminum wheel flexing. Has anyone else had this problem, causing tires to wear on inside. BTW.. we had 8K axles put on in June, 4 new tires.. We just get so tired of everyone we talk to passing the buck to someone else.

On Tredit home page it states the following: Tredit imports tires and wheels from all over the world and prides itself in its service delivering on a JIT basis direct to the manufacturer's production lines. What is wrong with "Made In The USA"

Maybe this will answer your question. Even the Japanese buy Chinese wheels.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...arkets-Global-China-Automotive-Aluminum-Wheel

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Just a side note. All wheels have to have some flex in them. If they did not flex, on a hard turn it would break off the lug nut studs.

GOTTOYS

Maybe they're not passing the buck..I've never heard of it either..I go back to my original statement. Bring it to a heavy-duty trailer shop and let them figure out what's wrong with it. You can't beat the experience and expert advice that you will get from them vs. guesses and unproven theories from non-professionals....Once again just my opinion..Don

rebootsemi

Where does one ever get the idea that the wheels flex and cause uneven tire wear. You have a alignment problem, the trailer is too heavy for the axles mounted under it. If offset wheels were the problem than all class 8 trucks would only wear out one side of a tire, these wheels are almost a full offset. Another thing if the aluminum wheel were flexing that much one would think that after a few hundred miles at 60 mph the wheel would be so hot you could not touch it

Willym

Agree with recent posters on likely cause being an axle problem. My current rig showed uneven wear after my Alaska trip. I could actually see and measure that one of the axles had straightened out. The dealer got a truck shop to correct the axles. the truck shop commented that they do this quite often as the axle tubes are not that strong. Also you'd think that if the wheels were flexing enough to cause tyre wear issues, then the repeated flexing would likely lead to fatigue, cracking, and eventual wheel failure.

GOTTOYS

Not trying to beat this to death. You could do a simple preliminary check of the camber yourself at home. Won't be 100% accurate but it should point you in the right direction. Take a standard 2 foot carpenters level and stand it up vertically next to a wheel. You may need to use some spacers (maybe wooden blocks) to allow it to touch the rim at the top and bottom and not make contact with the tires. If the camber is correct the level should show that it is plumb IE. standing straight up and down or possibly the tires are tipped in slightly at the bottom (positive caster). I suspect you will find that your tires are tipped out at the bottom which places more weight on the inside of the tire. There are other factors that could cause inner tire wear as well but my guess is this will be the problem. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes to check this and put this issue about whether to get it aligned or not to bed...Don

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Maybe they're not passing the buck..I've never heard of it either..I go back to my original statement. Bring it to a heavy-duty trailer shop and let them figure out what's wrong with it. You can't beat the experience and expert advice that you will get from them vs. guesses and unproven theories from non-professionals....Once again just my opinion..Don

Again got to go along with Don. OTR truck service will be able to check that trailer out and pinpoint what it is.

Herbiesrig

Thanks everyone for the input on the Aluminum Wheel issue, we have the new 8k axles and all new tires and will be checking the tires wear when we get to Texas.