Amount of lug nut engagement landmark 365 Newport

Okay, I have 2 new spare tire and wheels (paranoid). So after a 6000 mile road trip this summer I thought I would put my 2 new spares And rotate 2 used ones out of service easy right? On the 6th nut I was removing I found it to be cross threaded ended up using my 3/4” air gun to get it off I was surprised it didn’t break but it just kept on turning slowly. Then I get to looking at all of the studs and there is only 1/2” of the threads that are engaged by the nuts. So now i’m Looking for longer studs. anybody else found any longer studs that fit our 8000lb Dexter axles. I tried my dealer he sent me to an auto parts store. Monday I will try heartland and Dexter to see what they have to say.

Oh yeh during this fun I also found out that the dust caps over the bearing were missing on the front axle but they were there on the rear axle. Of course the center caps on the wheel had been covering this up.

I also found out that as a MINIMUM the thread engagement should be at least equal to or greater than the diameter of the wheel stud. The diameter of my wheel stud is 9/16”.

If anybody else has already encountered and found a good solution please let me know, thanks in advance.

Roy

Gary521

If you purchase new studs, you need to know the knurl diameter and knurl length so they fit the hub properly. Remove one of the old studs to measure these specs. Etrailer has a variety of wheel studs.

avvidclif

I have found there is a sticker on Dexter axles (mine is in the middle of each axle)that gives several pieces of info. Mainly build number. If you provide that number to Dexter they will tell you exactly what those axles consist of and the parts used. They may have had a run with short studs.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Clif gave good information. Call Dexter with your VIN and that axle info.
If they had an issue with studs they may send you or your dealer new hub assemblies with the correct length studs.

Peace
Dave