And the beat goes on...

RottsNScotts

You guys are NOT going to believe this! As I was westbound in Kansas City, MO, merging onto 670, two truck drivers started honking and flagging me down. One of them was able to tell me that one of my tires on my trailer had come OFF!

A passing tow truck driver got me to a large parking lot and called a friend of his who ha the BIG tow trucks. He also took a look...tire and wheel SHEARED off.

Guess I will be spending some time in KC

I just wanted to go HOME!

Sigh..

danemayer

Janet,

Sorry to hear this and I hate to pile on. But if you were running at highway speed with a missing wheel, the other tire on that side may have been damaged by carrying twice as much weight as normal.

'Lil Guy'

Wish you would shed some light on what you mean by sheared off. Did the lugs shear off of the drum? Lots of weight on those wheels. Little things can create a problem. For instance, loose lug nuts could cause that to happen if the lugs sheared. Please enlighten us as to what exactly happened. Maybe it's something we all could be looking out for. Thanks in advance and like Dan said, you certainly overloaded the other tire holding the trailer.

RottsNScotts

Wish you would shed some light on what you mean by sheared off. Did the lugs shear off of the drum? Lots of weight on those wheels. Little things can create a problem. For instance, loose lug nuts could cause that to happen if the lugs sheared. Please enlighten us as to what exactly happened. Maybe it's something we all could be looking out for. Thanks in advance and like Dan said, you certainly overloaded the other tire holding the trailer.

There is "would" and there is "could". The lugs sheared off at the drum. Last folks to do anything with the tires besides regular checking was the folks at the Heartland Service Center in July. Checked everything prior to departure at 8:30 am, gassed vehicle at 12:00 pm and all was well, waved down around 1:15.

The extra weight is a good point and I will ask the repair folks about it tomorrow. Maybe we can put the tire that held the extra weight back up as the spare and put the spare and new tire on the rig.

Mark-Roberta 051995

From my experience - it was due to loose lug nuts. I had replaced all 4 tires 1 week prior and traveled about 180 miles and got to our camping spot. 3 weeks later we took off to Charlotte and just outside Knoxville it let loose. Even though my lug nuts were torques down correctly they came loose. It took 4 stops later at about 50-70 mile intervals to keep torquing them as they kept getting a little loose. I now have 4 wheels that all of the lug nuts are "seated". I don't understand why they come loose but - heed the warning on the label that says to check after 50 miles.

Glad all were safe and you did not do any additional damage to camper. I was lucky to no kill someone with a wheel coming off at 65 mph on busy I-40 near Knoxville at noonish time frame.

olcoon

Sorry to hear this! Have you got a repair shop yet? I live in KC, and could recommend one in that area. Whatever you do DO NOT take it to Camping World! I could tell you some horror stories about the Camping World in KC. I'll send you a PM.

RottsNScotts

Sorry to hear this! Have you got a repair shop yet? I live in KC, and could recommend one in that area. Whatever you do DO NOT take it to Camping World! I could tell you some horror stories about the Camping World in KC. I'll send you a PM.

Thanks! I am at the T & E Tire Service on Stilwell. We had a miscommunication last night. I thought they had found a replacement wheel to match what is on the rig. Found out this morning they had just found another steel wheel to put on the new spare. They DID find another tire to match what I have. We are going to put that in place of the tire that had to bear the extra load.

Am now going to call Heartland Parts and see if a replacement wheel can be shipped somewhere that I can catch up to it. Don't want to sit in KC for the weekend while we wait for it to get here. I am thinking maybe the Denver area as I had planned to stop there for the weekend anyway...

Garypowell

Understand what you are trying to do....but I would call Tread-it directly. They supply all of HL's rims and tires as I understand it. Great service from them. You put HL in the middle it can/will slow things down and maybe drive the price up a bit.

Gary521

In my opinion, the lug nuts were probably put on with an air gun. The nuts were over tightened and stressed all the bolts to the point of failure. Again, Just my opinion.

wdk450

From reading what happened, I am not sure if this is nearly the same as what happened to me, but I thought it was a wheel hazard worth sharing. This happened to me in 2012 after i had owned the rig about 3 years on a trip from Sacramento to Yellowstone.

I had cut off of Eastbound I-80 in Wells, Nevada, to cut Northward to Idaho and I-84. In Twin Falls,Idaho, just after I had gotten on to I-84 my TPMS alarm went off with low pressure on the driver's side rear tire of the trailer. I pulled over on the busy shoulder of the Interstate to walk back to the trailer with the very strong smell of burning rubber greeting me. I found that the tire was rubbing on a shock mount on the trailer frame, I saw an offramp 1/4 mile ahead and slowly pulled up to and off the freeway onto that. I called road service to have them change the tire. A tire guy came out, removed the tire, and found that the neck of the drum with the wheel bearings inside was cracked away from the rest of the drum, causing the tire to flex so far out of alignment that it rubbed the shock mount. This crack went all the way around the tube of the drum neck. Here is a sample drum image taken off the internet for illustration:

trailer brake drum.jpg

I was really amazed that the wheel/drum stayed on the axle until I stopped. I was able to get another roadside repairer come out with the right drum and fix my rig on that offramp road. The next day at the local Les Schwab tire center, while buying a replacement tire, I had them inspect the other 3 drums for possibly having the same defect.

The next time you have your tires off for whatever reason, be sure to have your drums inspected for cracks in the bearing neck areas.

On Edit: The OEM drums were changed out the next year when I got the Disk Brake system added at MorRyde.

Last edited:

olcoon

If you do have to spend the weekend in KC, and want something to do, there is plenty to see & do. We can give you plenty of ideas, & would be up for lunch or dinner!

But I hope they can get you taken care of.

RottsNScotts

Understand what you are trying to do....but I would call Tread-it directly. They supply all of HL's rims and tires as I understand it. Great service from them. You put HL in the middle it can/will slow things down and maybe drive the price up a bit.

HL sent me right over to Tredit. Their customer service unfortunately did not find one in KS but DID find one in Oregon, in a town I am driving right by! So will get it installed Wed or Thurs of next week!

- - - Updated - - -

In my opinion, the lug nuts were probably put on with an air gun. The nuts were over tightened and stressed all the bolts to the point of failure. Again, Just my opinion.

We will probably never know. So far, I have some saying lug nuts too loose and some saying too tight!

- - - Updated - - -

If you do have to spend the weekend in KC, and want something to do, there is plenty to see & do. We can give you plenty of ideas, & would be up for lunch or dinner!

But I hope they can get you taken care of.

Thanks, that would have really been fun! I also had a Scottish Terrier friend, in fact one of Fast Freddie's breeders, who was also going to come up and keep me entertained. The folks at T & E Tire Service had me all done and back on the road before noon on Friday!

They were great!