Announcing the Fall 2009 Virginia Chapter Rally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim & Harriet

things to do

the activities you listed sound great. over the years we have done "all of the above" and would be happy to do any / all of them again.
one thing though, these all can be $$$ not $. the last time we did the fishing, it was the same cost even for "watching" - but that may have just been the boat we used.
i am not familiar with the area - are there any seafood shops where we can buy our own and have a group clambake / bbq / dinner? we do that in maine all the time.
maybe another "vote for your favorite" email would work. of course we might vote for all of them. None

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Renee and I would not be interested in the fishing trip,but we both really enjoy seafood and since we are from NC of course we enjoy NC bbq pork.and we would prefer to have it catered. Now I know there is going to be added expense in anything we do like that but that suits us if it does everyone else.

Hudson

Rally extras cost

Oh jeez, I did forget to mention ... and I kind of figured people would assume this, but these added activities would not be free. Cost for any event could range from $$ to $$$ depending upon how many people participate (more people = lower cost per person usually) and how elaborate/extensive the event (did you want a live band and open bar with that?).

I would of course post in advance the cost per person for any given event before requiring final commitment. It's just that I'm only going to research costs and options for events that generate enough interest to set up.

camperjohn08

Main reason for camping...

It's all well and good to have something catered.... BUT the reason we brought a camper, and to camp is to cook meals either over an open fire, or on a grill. I guess it's our way of relaxing...and getting away from the hussel and bustal..of the regular grind of everyday living...
Just my two cents.;)

By the way, I purchased an Coleman RoadTrip pack-away Portable covered fireplace. Now Nancy & I will be able to have an fire and cook up some Coffee and Grub......at the Sept Rally.:D

Jim & Harriet

extra activities

being from roanoke we are really looking forward to seeing the ocean and walking on the beach! added activities would be nice, but just being with our heartland-friends is what we are looking forward to.

as camperjohn08 mentioned, we too like doing our own cooking. perhaps a group barbq/clam (crab?) bake might work for one evening. is there a local vendor who might provide just the seafod choices and we could each bring a "side?" does the campground have a place set-up a few grills to share?

this is just an additional two cents from us...;)

J

Jumpshot

Hudson,

Good activity ideas listed... but I agree with the sentiment expressed in the previous posts... lets stay putt:confused: at the campground and enjoy the scenery and Heartland pepes. If you gotta have food... lets have it catered...seafood that is!! Otherwise, hangin out, walking the beach, eating pot-luck/covered dish meals and checking out other 5ers... is OK with us.
My 2cents....:rolleyes:

Our daughter is a Junior in Shawnee Council. By the time the Fall Rally happens though, she will have bridged to Cadettes. She earned her Bronze Award this year!! My wife and I are both leaders of her troop. (My wife is an 01 along with another unrelated woman as required when a man is a GS Leader. I'm an 02. Yes, a man can be a Girl Scout, but the background checks are more involved -- which is a good thing I think)

She is homeschooled also ... we love A Beka.
Hey Hudson,

Glad to know there will be another homeschooler (plus hopefully more kids!) for Kelley and Caitlin to hang out with.

We love Girl Scouts, but due to the recent realignments and other issues with GSUSA, I've decided resign as a Co-Advisor to become a Frontier Girls leader (www.frontiergirls.com). Our Frontier Girls troop #112 is the first in NC!. We'll start in the Fall and I can't wait. My girls will still be Girl Scouts, though.

We use an eclectic mix of homeschooling, but may chose a packaged curriculum next year for Kelley, since she's entering high school.

Can't wait to meet everyone in Rodanthe!

-carolinachrissy

I am looking at a few activities for the Fall Rally that would need some advanced preparation but are also driven by interest. Would you be interested in any or all of these activities:

1. Fishing Charter. I hear the fishing there is excellent and there are several charter boats available. I don't fish so I don't know what kind of fishing they have (I might go along on the boat ride for fun). The CG has a fish cleaning area near our group of sites. I need to know how many people are interested so I can pick the right size boat(s).
  2. Catered Seafood Dinner. A seafood restaurant in the area could bring a seafood feast to our meeting hall. I don't eat fish myself but would be happy to arrange this for the group.
  3. Trip to a Seafood Restaurant. Since it will be just after the season, some restaurants will be closed. Our friend Merrin at Camp Hatteras has some pull with some of those restaurants and could arrange a group dinner for us even at the closed ones. Merrin even has access to a charter coach we could hire inexpensively to save us all from burning our diesels (plus everyone could drink with impunity too!)
  4. Catered Barbecue. North Carolina is famous for their pork barbecue. We could get a pig picker to bring a feast to our meeting hall. I'll bet if enough people are interested they could even do a whole pig right there for us. I've done this before and can tell you it is extremely tasty.
You don't have to decide now since these things can probably be set up in August sometime. But anything I can set up now (while I am planning all my summer trips anyway) is something I don't have to worry about later on (while I am on my summer trips).

If we want to do one of the dinner things we might do it Friday night so people don't have to cook right after setting up their rigs. If it turns out that one or more of these things is something that is favored by people who will all be there on Thursday night (or Sunday night), then we might do that thing on one of those nights.

BTW, Gus, would you please email this message to the chapter list? Thanks.
Having been in NC since 1980, I have experience with all of your ideas.

Idea 1: A charter fishing trip is great, but you'll rise real early, drink often (if that's your proclivity) and early in the hot sun, bounce around on the ocean and catch some great fish. In October, the King Mackerel are running and they're fun to catch! Don't know about September, though. You'll be spent upon returning, and because you'll want to rest/sleep, for me that's more of a designated event trip for fishing, drinking and resting only. But I was a lightweight when I did that some 16-18 years ago! This would be toward the bottom of my list today.

That area is famous for surf fishing, too. So you might want to consider googling bait and tackle shops in the area and seeing if you can rent the huge, mondo poles that are used in surf fishing, as well as getting some expert advice about the sport. People drive their trucks on the sand (or used to?) and park near the water's edge using pole holders mounted on the front of the truck to assist in their surf fishing.

Idea #2: NC seafood is delicious, especially if it's cooked Calabash style, which means very lightly breaded and fried to perfection. It's not real greasy and is delightful. I'd love to try clams again, too, as I have memories of clam bakes when I was little in upstate New York and fond memories of delicious clams in Hawaii. This would be a good choice for me, especially with all the fixins.

Idea #3: Chartered Bus to restaurant would be fun, especially the drinking without driving part. Had a great experience 20 years ago touring the Research Triangle Park area in a chartered bus with neighbors, but for this weekend, this would be at the bottom of my list.

Idea #4: A pig pickin'! Now that's what I'm talking about! That is a party unto itself. When done at someone's home, the cooking of an entire pig starts after midnight and continues into the next day until it's time to eat. Always a crowd around to keep the cook company and plenty of drinks to share. Maybe we can get the cook to hang out near the conference center/meeting hall. Some lawn games (badmitten, volleyball, croquet) would be good, too.

Eastern NC BBQ is typically a vinegar based pulled pork (and sometimes, spicy), but you could get the cook to leave sauce off for those who love Kansas City tomato BBQ sauce. Coleslaw, brunswick stew, hushpuppies are also standard fare at a pig pickin'.

We'll also have the sound in our backyard. What a biology lab for the kids (young and old) to explore, with lots of water creatures and plants to investigate. Then there's the ocean. So much to do, so little time.

We're really looking forward to going and doing whatever the group decides to do.

-carolinachrissy

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
OK I give Up!! It sounds like you all are going to have too much fun. Can't let that happen without us.:rolleyes: Count us in. I've canceled my Vintage Gold Wing trip and am coming to the beach. We got Site # 386. We'll be coming in on Thursday the 24th and leaving Sunday the 27th.

Looking forward to meeting all these folks I've been "talking" to on the forum. Should be a lot of fun.:)

Keith

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Woo-Hoo!!! Way to go Keith! We're glad you decided to do the right thing:rolleyes::eek:.

I owned (and rode of course) a Gold Wing for several years in the late seventies, early eighties out in Oklahoma, but was too big a chicken:eek: to bring it to Northern Virginia with me when my "Uncle" moved me here in the mid-eighties. Mine was a bright yellow 1976 GL1000. I actually found it while my wife was at a yard sale. It was in the garage and looked pristine. Found out the owner had bought in brand new in 76, put 1800 miles on it, dropped it once while sitting still, and was afraid to get back on it. Had been in the garage untouched for 2 years. I got it for $2000. Had to put in a new water pump and replace all the seals (but that was pretty cheap and actually a lot of fun). It had no fairings or bags (they didn't come with them then) so I added a set of Vetter black fairings and bags. Back then the Army issue PT suit was also yellow and black. I won't tell you how many times I was told I looked like a bumble bee going down the road at 5:30 in the morning!

klindgren

I've got a 1975 Red Wing. That's the first year Honda came out with the GL1000. Bought this one 5 years ago as a basket case and have been slowly restoring it to original condition. When I got it, it had a vetter fairing and bags on it. Took them off and put it back to stock.

When I met Carol, I was living in Silver Springs and she in Alexandria. I had a little Honda 360 we'd run around on. Back then I was too young to realize how crazy Northern Virginia traffic was to be riding a motorcycle in.

Saw a new 1976 yellow Wing right after they came out while I was working in DC and thought to myself "why would anyone want to ride something that big...1,000 cc's is just too much power." Of course now I'm riding one with 1800 cc's wondering when they are going to make one bigger. Go Figure!!

We'll have to swap Gold Wing stories at Hatteras. Looking forward to a fun weekend.

Keith

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Site 386

WOO-HOO
See you guys there.
Just a thought for an activity. Ocracoke is a lot of fun. And the ferry is free!

boatto5er

Great to have you on board Larry and Samantha! We're up to 18 rigs already. See you there.

P.S. Can you check back with the campground? You and Keith Lindgren are now both on #386!! That could be interesting...

Gus and Debra

klindgren

Great to have you on board Larry and Samantha! We're up to 18 rigs already. See you there.

P.S. Can you check back with the campground? You and Keith Lindgren are now both on #386!! That could be interesting...

Gus and Debra

Let's see...if I move my rig to the far right on 386 and Larry parks his far left.....hmmm could prove to be interesting. Gotta warn you though Larry, ya'd better let me get there first cuz I ain't the most skill backer-inner with this new rig yet....:D

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Keith,
I think this site is right next to the parking lot.If you would sub lease the electric and cable to me I can set up there.:rolleyes:

I will call Merrin today. Maybe I misunderstood her. Sometimes I don't hear everything I am listening to.

boatto5er

Maybe you could line up side by side, but pointing in opposite directions so the slideouts line up like puzzle pieces. That would give both of you some added stability!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.