Another Mission Tire Explosion

Hoosier Wolverine

I should have reacted sooner to those on this forum who warned of the consequences of continuing to use the China Bombs (Missions).
Recently, while returning to Indiana from So. Carolina, my front ODS Mission tire exploded, resulting in a little over $2000 damage to my 3400RL BH. The damage included a section of J-wrap, the plastic wheel-well trim piece, one running light including wiring, one brake wire, as well as two sections of copper gas line.
After limping the remaining 200 miles home, using the spare, I bought 4 new G614s. Upon removal of the Missions it was discoved that two more were on the verge of blowing. One was swollen all the way around the diameter from broken belts. The other had a large bulge on the inside.
I should have replaced the "bombs" before, but I decided they'd only have a little over 3000 miles on them after this trip. I was extremely careful with pressure checking before starting each day's travel as well as checking temperatures at each stop. No amount of care, apparently, can avoid the inevitable with these tires.
Currently my BH is at the dealership being repaired. When I get it back, I'll buy another 614 to use as a spare. I'll also buy a TPMS, although that wouldn't have helped in this case.
Perhaps relating this will encourage others to get rid of their Missions before it's too late.

Vtxkid

Hey John, sorry to hear of your unfortunite situation. I'm a little confused on the word "mission". Is that the name that was on the side of your tire or something else?!?

Hoosier Wolverine

How old were the mission tires? Why do you feel the TPMS would not have helped in your case?

The tires were 2 yrs old with approximately 3000 miles on them. The tire was fully inflated when it blew. I had checked them about 15 minutes prior to the blow-out when I stopped for diesel. A TPMS would have shown low pressure if there had been low pressure, but in this case the tread simply separated completely.

Vtxkid- Mission is the name of the Chinese tire, and yes, it's written on the side of the tire.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Hey John, sorry to hear of your unfortunite situation. I'm a little confused on the word "mission". Is that the name that was on the side of your tire or something else?!?

"Mission" is a curse word by many after a China Bomb attack

jimtoo

John,,, if you can save the old tires, and contact Tredit, the Mission distributor. I know there is a phone # in one of the threads. You will need the blown tire also. I was nice to them and they were very nice to me.

Jim M

Hoosier Wolverine

John,,, if you can save the old tires, and contact Tredit, the Mission distributor. I know there is a phone # in one of the threads. You will need the blown tire also. I was nice to them and they were very nice to me.

Jim M

Jim...Unfortunately the old tires are history. I left them at the dealership where I bought the Goodyears.
I guess I was just glad to see the last of them.

John

traveler44

When our mission tire blew we were on busy I-75 on the way back from Florida. The road service guys that Good Sam sent out told us the same thing--that another tire showed signs of weakness and would blow out soon. I was told by Tredit Tire that I should have saved the sidewall--all that was left of the one that blew out and send them all back to Tredit to be examined by their experts. Otherwise they will not reimburse you. Our B.H. is an 09 and these tires blow within 6 months. Tom M.

Netem

And yet we still get people on here defending these China Bombs. Maybe these people are just luckier than the rest of us.

GOTTOYS

If you do get reimbursed I heard it's something like $42.00 per tire. That's all the manufacturers pay for them. If this is correct the old "you get what you pay for" really is true...Don

tmcran

I replaced my Mission tires with MAXXIS E rated about 3-4 weeks ago. I felt I had stretched my luck getting about 6000 miles on the Mission tires.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
When do you think the NHTSA will get the message on the inferior tires manufactured in China? There should be a recall and ban on them until they come up to a higher safety standard IMHO. Isn't the safety of all of us at risk. Maybe all of us who have had issues with them should be writing our Congress person letters.

I replaced my Mission tires with MAXXIS E rated in May after blowing two on I-25 in New Mexico.
Did about $800 damage. Still have one of the Missions for a spare. Probably not a good idea!

tkrejdl

We had a blow out on our SundanceMK in October. Glad we were on our way home and not just leaving because we are still working with the insurance company. Also had about $2000 in damage. We called the number on the tire and they had us send them the tire still waiting to hear from them.

nscaler2

When do you think the NHTSA will get the message on the inferior tires manufactured in China? There should be a recall and ban on them until they come up to a higher safety standard IMHO. Isn't the safety of all of us at risk. Maybe all of us who have had issues with them should be writing our Congress person letters.
I'm sure the NHTSA, just like everything else in our government, is for sale to the highest bidder. I wouldn't count on them to do anything about the Chinese bombs.