Anyone else having problems with RAM 3500?

Bones

I have to ask if anyone else is having problems with their RAM. Ours is a '14 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4 CC Long bed CTD / Aisin / 4.10. Right now we are going round and round with RAM over the numerous issues. So far, since January;

1. 2 fender flares coming off rear ( fixed )
2. LR TPIS sensor / valve stem bad - can not add/delete/check air in LR tire ( 5 weeks to get part )( fixed )
3. Water leak in to cab ( 2" under rear seat ) ( fixed )
4. 1 more fender flare coming off FR side ( fixed )
5. Clunking / grinding in rear end when putting in /out of gear ( I have paperwork from a service mgr saying this is normal ) ( still does on occasion, they did backlash adjustment )
6. whine at 60 mph when applying fuel, disappears when you take your foot off the pedal and resumes as soon as you put pressure back to give fuel ( can hear over radio at volume of 15 )
( still happening )( Paperwork that says this is 'normal')
7. FL tire read at 70 psi, I stopped and read with gauge, it was hot at 86 psi. 30 min later #8 happened ( they can not duplicate )
8. truck tried to shift in to 4x4 at 65 mph while towing, I was NOT trying to shift it, it was doing it on its own, then heard transfer case grinding, lost all power to drive. 2 errors to service 4 wheel drive system on dash, as soon as I read them both they cleared and I had full power again. RAM is unable to pull any codes from a Aisin transmission ( heard mechanic " I can't get any codes 'cause he has a Aisin" so they can not tell if there is a problem. ( can not duplicate, no codes available )( Scared the you know what out of me, we were in heavy traffic )
9. Was leaning on the truck by rear axle, not moving, slight rain outside and the doors unlocked. ( unknown, they will look at it )
10. They did read a code about the wipers, just cleared it and didn't fix it. ( Never had any problems with the wipers )( Overheard mechanic telling service adviser about this)

I am having to take the truck in for more diagnostics and other test Monday and I am doubting they will find ( admit ) to anything. They are giving us a rental car for 5 days.

If anyone else is having any of these types of problems please let me know. When we take the truck in for anything they have to call RAM as soon as a dealer reads the VIN and can't work on it without approval first from RAM because all the problems.

Needless to say we are more than a little upset over this.

Thanks

I have had my doors unlock when I am washing the car and I'm around the front door. Weird

danemayer

I have had my doors unlock when I am washing the car and I'm around the front door. Weird
My doors also do that, but I had the same thing happen when I washed our 2010 and 2005 Prius that had the keyless entry system.

Have not had any of the issues you list, yet. Does have a little clung sound at drive shaft. Have had my 2014 3500 Larmie Megacab sometimes develop a lope at idle and shut off. Will start right back up. Dealer cannot find anything wrong. Love this truck other than this. Only have around 9,000 miles on it.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
WOW !!! I recently looked at a 2015 Ram 3500 4X4 DRW. Pretty impressive truck I was thinking, but after reading these posts maybe not. I have a 2005 Ram 4X4 3500 and a 2006 Laramie both with 5.9 Diesel's ( the million mile motor ). Guess I am happy with what I have. Both run Great.

Ditto. The newer trucks have some nicer amenities, but after reading this I think I'll be keeping my 5.9 a long time.

cfulton

To me regen was pain in the rear, mpg was below normal, so pulled the trigger. For me life is now getting too short to not be happy if I can remedy it. Love my '14 except for the severe shake-shudder when pulling!!
PU my new ride Tue, pull to TX Wed.
Cheers

Bones

Got my truck back. They said they resealed the rear window, light and body seams. Time will tell. The door lock issue was caused by a shorted out passenger control module. They replaced both modules one in the drivers door and the passenger door. The interior light issue they claim is the control module in the roof center consul and needs to be replaced. That is on order and they are going to replace the TPMS sensors as well since they have a recall on them. Fun. I told the wife time to trade the truck in. I don't think she took that well.

AAdams

Well RAM had the truck last week. We took it in, they reprogrammed it and let it sit. picked it up Friday and they said " can not duplicate the problem". Of course they never took it on the highway to test it, they didn't add enough miles to the truck to make it to the first turn around and get back to the dealer. So I took the service adviser on a test run. Got it on the highway to 60 - 65 mph and he heard the noise in the rear end. Now waiting to hear back.

On a side note, for those that run over the weight of the truck, they asked what I was pulling, what the weight was and if I had ever scaled the trailer. Guess they are looking for a way out now....

BBslider001

I am sorry to hear of your troubles. And this would be why I would never, EVER buy a newer diesel. I'll continue rebuild my '97 or buy a pre-2006 RAM that doesn't have all this stuff for a dealer to just try to find a way out of. It blows my mind how many stories I read about where this happens. Just fix the darn thing already. If you don't know how, find someone who does, like a real HD diesel mechanic that knows these trucks. And I am saying that to the dealer, not to you of course. Dealers chap my behind. They sell you a $60k truck but then don't or won't stand behind it when it has these types of issues.

What has become of it to this point?

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have a similar truck except 3.73 rearend and yes had some problems but manufacturer took care of all.
1. Continue check engine indicator - replaced the entire computer system. No problems in over a year.
2. Couldn't balance tires - dealership found out that all 6 tires were flat-spotted. New tires all the way around.

We do have every now and then a brake light out message. This started after we had a camera installed in the 3rd brake light area. The installer said this might happen because of some of the wiring he had to use for the Nav system. Dealership agreed and said it wouldn't void the warranty. Other than that, we are good.

AAdams

Still having issues with the computer. The TPIS showed 86 lbs and 30 sec later it showed 78. They are ordering new ones for the entire truck. ( On back order ) Once we get back to TX and get the 3 copies of the repair invoices that I am missing because they didn't give them to me, we are filing under Texas Lemon Law. They offered us employing pricing on a new truck, but having owned it 5 months at the time it was still going to cost us $8500 to trade. We don't think this is fair, yes we would get a '16 but still having to pay that much is outrageous to get out of it. If we file in Texas, they have to pay the attn. fees, sales tax etc.. and replace it with the current model truck. We will have to pay fair mileage. So it will cost us a lot less to get a '16. Wish they would just skip the official route, it would cost them less and make us happy. But since they are playing the game, every time there is a noise, computer hiccup, etc. it is in the shop. There will be a very long paper trail for this truck! They do acknowledge there is a stored code for a short in the computer... just they are not going to try and find it since it is not active. Now I am not a car mechanic, or an electronics expert, but feel that if there is an intermittent short in the computer it could cause all kinds of problems when it shorts anywhere in the system. I do accept the fact that it would be a PITA for them to track it down and fix it, but that is NOT my problem, it is their warranty.

BBslider001

Still having issues with the computer. The TPIS showed 86 lbs and 30 sec later it showed 78. They are ordering new ones for the entire truck. ( On back order ) Once we get back to TX and get the 3 copies of the repair invoices that I am missing because they didn't give them to me, we are filing under Texas Lemon Law. They offered us employing pricing on a new truck, but having owned it 5 months at the time it was still going to cost us $8500 to trade. We don't think this is fair, yes we would get a '16 but still having to pay that much is outrageous to get out of it. If we file in Texas, they have to pay the attn. fees, sales tax etc.. and replace it with the current model truck. We will have to pay fair mileage. So it will cost us a lot less to get a '16. Wish they would just skip the official route, it would cost them less and make us happy. But since they are playing the game, every time there is a noise, computer hiccup, etc. it is in the shop. There will be a very long paper trail for this truck! They do acknowledge there is a stored code for a short in the computer... just they are not going to try and find it since it is not active. Now I am not a car mechanic, or an electronics expert, but feel that if there is an intermittent short in the computer it could cause all kinds of problems when it shorts anywhere in the system. I do accept the fact that it would be a PITA for them to track it down and fix it, but that is NOT my problem, it is their warranty.

Alan, this seems to be the best course of action for you and its good that you have one. This isn't the first bad story I have read about with dealers and mfg warranties. I really hope they do you right. I worked for a company that uses the new Dodge trucks as their company vehicles, and the TPMS systems were ALWAYS on the fritz. I just think, why is it so hard to get out of the truck and use a good old fashioned tire gauge to check that tire pressure? And second, tire pressure doesn't need to be monitored like that. Unless you have a leak, it holds on its own. I only have to adjust mine due to elevation change or every 6 months or so. If I were to ever get a new truck, that would be the first thing to go. It is a terrible system.

You are right...it is NOT your problem. And any short in any PCM is just a cause for all kinds of bugs to happen. I'd be getting out of that thing ASAP as well. Hopefully the '16s don't have these sorts of issues.

Jim.Allison

My 2013 started giving me a service airfilter signal and chime at about 15K. So I did, but the old filter was clean, I installed a new one anyway, everything ok for a while then the service air filter soon light came on again along with annoying chime. Took it to a dealer and they cleared the codes and changed the airfilter, even after I told them that the air filter was new. I took it anyway. We pulled out for a trip to Chama NM, and at Kerrville Tx here comes the chime and light. The Chime would not quit unless I turned the key off and opened the door. You have not lived until you have to stop every 60 miles turn off the motor and open the door just to shut up a chime. When we finally got back home I took it to a dealer and told them to keep it until the truck was fixed, they called two days later and told me it was fixed, I asked what they did and they told me they changed the filter and cleared the codes. I laughed at them and told them to call back when they found the problem.

Simultaneously I called RAM factory service and told them what was going on, I got a personal call from the service manager. I told him that I did not need the truck and don't call me until a proper diagnosis was made and a corresponding repairs made. 30 days later with the assistance of Ram/Cummins engineers, it was determined that the lower airbox was the culprit, it was replaced and the problem was solved.

I too have experienced the locking and unlocking while washing the truck with the key FOB in my pocket. Other than that my truck is great. But the filter problem was real annoying.

Securityman

Ok today should be a happy day for me , I traded in my 2009 tundra to get a 2015 ram dually crew cab 4 wheel drive , first heavy duty truck and 1 st diesel . Really liked the truck until tonight I though it was just a rough riding truck because it was built to haul . On smooth roads it seems fine , but I keep getting this vibration feeling also in my pedals and it's like a drive shaft or something is not right with this truck . I was thinking maybe because there's 4 tires in the rear I ca n feel more of the road , I don't know but , sometimes it feels like it vibrates into the dash from the rear it's strange . I got 200 miles on this truck and starting to wonder why I got rid of my tundra that rode and drove fine with 113,000 miles much better then this truck. I wanted to get a cyclone and got this truck to haul it but having second thoughts about all this .

hoefler

When running with out a trailer, you need to let the air out of the rear tires. 80 psi for running with max load is way too much for running empty. I always run the rear at 40 psi when not towing the Landmark.

Slympicins

I do the same with my Dodge 2500. When I'm not towing I drop the rear pressure to around 45 psi per the door sticker. 80 psi would definitely be too hard.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

whp4262

Ok today should be a happy day for me , I traded in my 2009 tundra to get a 2015 ram dually crew cab 4 wheel drive , first heavy duty truck and 1 st diesel . Really liked the truck until tonight I though it was just a rough riding truck because it was built to haul . On smooth roads it seems fine , but I keep getting this vibration feeling also in my pedals and it's like a drive shaft or something is not right with this truck . I was thinking maybe because there's 4 tires in the rear I ca n feel more of the road , I don't know but , sometimes it feels like it vibrates into the dash from the rear it's strange . I got 200 miles on this truck and starting to wonder why I got rid of my tundra that rode and drove fine with 113,000 miles much better then this truck. I wanted to get a cyclone and got this truck to haul it but having second thoughts about all this .

I would take it back and have the tires rebalanced. It will be a stiffer ride than your Tundra but it shouldn't shake the dash. You have something out of balance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bones

It's a 1 ton truck. You will feel the road more due to suspension stiffness.

MTPockets

. Give a few hundred more... If it's still like that, have the tire balance checked; but first give it some miles to settle.

Securityman

Ok guys , I think I just wasn't used to it , it seems fine now , just a little rough , but will try dropping the psi in the rear when not towing . Thanks , I picked up my new cyclone 3110 and drove 860 miles back home with it , and all I can say is I love this truck!! Night and day compared to a bumper pull . Spent a lot of money but hope that both hold up well with some TLC , I also just picked up some Firestone airbags to put on it , what should they be at empty , and under load ?

Couldnt believe when they hooked up the trailer the truck maybe dropped a 1/2 only , now I know why it rides a little rough ! Lol