Anyone else having problems with RAM 3500?

Mcook

Ditto. The newer trucks have some nicer amenities, but after reading this I think I'll be keeping my 5.9 a long time.
I have a 2015 3500 4x4 LB DRW. With 9k miles
I had a TPMS issue on 1 tire not reading correct pressure after rotating tires and replacement part was available next day.
My doors have locked/unlocked while washing , but I had the key/fob in my pocket and I'm pretty sure I bumped it.
I have noticed wet seats...right after going over rough RR track crossing with no load while drinking from beverage cup with no top.
So far that all, still luvin it.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

AAdams

Well here is the last update on our truck. RAM acknowledges that it makes a noise, but says it is normal even though I can hear it over the radio on a volume of 12. So they will not repair it since after 17 business days in the shop they can find it. They after 17 days have not determined if they will replace the radio. SINCE, they have such terrible customer service and we have had it with them, we are trading it in and getting a FORD F-350. This will absolutely be the last Chrysler product we own! And to answer the question of why not lemon law, all the attorney want to do is a buy back, and in TX if they do not collect the fees from Chrysler then they get 1/3 of your buy back money.

GOTTOYS

Well here is the last update on our truck. RAM acknowledges that it makes a noise, but says it is normal even though I can hear it over the radio on a volume of 12. So they will not repair it since after 17 business days in the shop they can find it. They after 17 days have not determined if they will replace the radio. SINCE, they have such terrible customer service and we have had it with them, we are trading it in and getting a FORD F-350. This will absolutely be the last Chrysler product we own! And to answer the question of why not lemon law, all the attorney want to do is a buy back, and in TX if they do not collect the fees from Chrysler then they get 1/3 of your buy back money.
Can't go wrong buying an American made truck built by an American owned company..I didn't have very good luck with my LAST Chrysler made product either..Don

Bones

I think your truck and my old one were built at the same time. I was having similar problems only I traded for a bigger truck.

- - - Updated - - -

here is an article from Edmund's on most American made trucks.

Problem finally figured out and repaired, turbo had a was malfunctioning. Sat at dealership for 21 days before taken care of this time. Now have recall on front end waited over a month to get dealership to do it! Decided it is time to use a new dealership. Hard to get good service after the sell!

Last edited:

JanAndBill

Glad your back up and running. We looked at the Ram as a possibility this time, but was very put off by the sales people at the local dealership. No knowledge of the product, and arrogant in their approach. Told them up front we were going to order a truck because we wanted EXACTLY what we were asking for. Instead of listening they tried to sell us on trucks from other dealers lots. When that didn't work it was pretty much "take it or leave it". We left it.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Glad your back up and running. We looked at the Ram as a possibility this time, but was very put off by the sales people at the local dealership. No knowledge of the product, and arrogant in their approach. Told them up front we were going to order a truck because we wanted EXACTLY what we were asking for. Instead of listening they tried to sell us on trucks from other dealers lots. When that didn't work it was pretty much "take it or leave it". We left it.
I know exactly what you mean. When we were looking for a new RAM the sales guy gave us the same treatment.
We literally walked across the street and bought a 1 year old RAM from a dealer that actually listened to us.
Find a different dealer.

Peace
Dave

adamsej

Got Ram 3500 in April 2015, has 20K miles on it now. Pulling 43' Landmark Newport since October. I'm luckier than Original Poster--no difficulty with the Ram. Haven't yet needed the service from the nationally-renowned Ram dealer in Idaho (although I did get good information when I had a question). Hope they can get yours fixed again. Perhaps buy your next one in Idaho...

NOLAStick

Here's my issue...bought my 2015 3500 4x4 DRW Long Bed Longhorn. At 300 miles ( 3 days after I bought it) I hit a bump and had a violent shudder in the steering. Called the dealer and was told probably just the road. Went a couple of months, did it again. In January it happened again. Luckily only once was I towing my 37 foot 5th wheel toyhauler. I used trailer brakes to slow down. Last Wednesday it happened and I had to stop in traffic, called the dealer. Was refered to as a Death Wobble. Told to bring in today. Happened again Sunday. The Service Manager and a mechanic took it for a test drive, my wife and I just happened to be following and watched it happen to them...so they can't say it's not happening. From what the internet says this condition was fixed after 2013 models...that's wrong...my 2015 is doing it. They gave me a loaner and ordered a left front shock, steering dampened and steering gear box. After replacing these parts they are going to try and duplicate it again. Its mainly happening between 30 and 50 mph...but did happen once around 60 I'm a curve.

danemayer

Here's my issue...bought my 2015 3500 4x4 DRW Long Bed Longhorn. At 300 miles ( 3 days after I bought it) I hit a bump and had a violent shudder in the steering. Called the dealer and was told probably just the road. Went a couple of months, did it again. In January it happened again. Luckily only once was I towing my 37 foot 5th wheel toyhauler. I used trailer brakes to slow down. Last Wednesday it happened and I had to stop in traffic, called the dealer. Was refered to as a Death Wobble. Told to bring in today. Happened again Sunday. The Service Manager and a mechanic took it for a test drive, my wife and I just happened to be following and watched it happen to them...so they can't say it's not happening. From what the internet says this condition was fixed after 2013 models...that's wrong...my 2015 is doing it. They gave me a loaner and ordered a left front shock, steering dampened and steering gear box. After replacing these parts they are going to try and duplicate it again. Its mainly happening between 30 and 50 mph...but did happen once around 60 I'm a curve.

Hi NOLAStick,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. Sorry to hear you're having problems with your RAM.

On 2013 and 2014 RAMS, there's a recall titled: "R46 Front Suspension Track Bar Frame Bracket".
"The front suspension track bar frame bracket welds may break and allow the front suspension track bar frame bracket to separate from the frame rail."

Even though the recall may not apply to 2015 models, perhaps the dealer should inspect yours as though it were a 2014.

NOLAStick

Hi NOLAStick,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. Sorry to hear you're having problems with your RAM.

On 2013 and 2014 RAMS, there's a recall titled: "R46 Front Suspension Track Bar Frame Bracket".
"The front suspension track bar frame bracket welds may break and allow the front suspension track bar frame bracket to separate from the frame rail."

Even though the recall may not apply to 2015 models, perhaps the dealer should inspect yours as though it were a 2014.
Thank you..I will pass that along to the service manager.

RNMAJ

Sounds like the notorious Dodge "Death Wobble" which is in part due to a solid front axle on the 4X4, and also due to poor front suspension design. I cured the issue on my old Dodge 2500 finally by putting on an oversize adjustable track bar and a steering box stabilzer, but not until I had replaced 3 track bars. That truck was rock solid after that. I now own a 2012 3500 DRW Megacab. I may just put on a new track bar and steering box stabilzer so I know the issue is taken care of,

Jim.Allison

I have a 2017 3500 6.7 SRW, and a 2500 6.7.

Since they are essentially the same I decided to relay a problem that I recently had, and perhaps help another and maybe receive some comments from someone that has had a similar experience.

The scenario went like this; I performed an oil, and filter change, along with the 2 fuel filters. I reset the EVIC to indicate 100% fuel filter and oil filter life. I started and drove the vehicle around the block and noted no issues. I parked the truck for a week.

A week after the service I got in and tried to start my truck. As usual I put my foot on the brake and pressed the big start button. It went through it procedures of pressuring the fuel system, heating the grid, and performing systems check before activating the starter. But this time it only bumped the starter and failed to crank. I went through this a few times. I received a message to change fuel filters, which was odd because I had already performed that service and RESET both the oil and fuel filter to 100%.

I searched the problem on the internet, and the consensus was to disconnect the battery ground thereby doing a hard start/reboot on the ECM. I was shocked to learn that this is not an entirely rare event and was supposed to have been cured before 2013 which is the model of my truck.

While I suspect that is was the reboot of the ECM that cured the problem, I'm not entirely sure that it is not a battery issue either, since I charged them while I had the cables disconnected. I would like to rule out the notion of a bad batt because the RAM dash and exterior lights and all the bells and whistles along with the grid heater did function as if there was nothing wrong.

Bones

I have a 2017 3500 6.7 SRW, and a 2500 6.7.

Since they are essentially the same I decided to relay a problem that I recently had, and perhaps help another and maybe receive some comments from someone that has had a similar experience.

The scenario went like this; I performed an oil, and filter change, along with the 2 fuel filters. I reset the EVIC to indicate 100% fuel filter and oil filter life. I started and drove the vehicle around the block and noted no issues. I parked the truck for a week.

A week after the service I got in and tried to start my truck. As usual I put my foot on the brake and pressed the big start button. It went through it procedures of pressuring the fuel system, heating the grid, and performing systems check before activating the starter. But this time it only bumped the starter and failed to crank. I went through this a few times. I received a message to change fuel filters, which was odd because I had already performed that service and RESET both the oil and fuel filter to 100%.

I searched the problem on the internet, and the consensus was to disconnect the battery ground thereby doing a hard start/reboot on the ECM. I was shocked to learn that this is not an entirely rare event and was supposed to have been cured before 2013 which is the model of my truck.

While I suspect that is was the reboot of the ECM that cured the problem, I'm not entirely sure that it is not a battery issue either, since I charged them while I had the cables disconnected. I would like to rule out the notion of a bad batt because the RAM dash and exterior lights and all the bells and whistles along with the grid heater did function as if there was nothing wrong.
Thanks for the info Jim. :cool:

teasac69

I know this is an old thread but just stumbled upon it and want to throw in my 2 cents..........

I've had Dodge trucks since 1996 and they have all had one inherent weakness, the transmissions go out under heavy towing.

They addressed this issue with the Aisin tranny and HO rear diff. My 2016 is a beast and will pull my 14' BH much faster/quicker than I'll let it and under load in serious mountains, the tranny temp only goes up a couple degrees. GCWR is 33,800 and I'm getting around 10 mpg under load.

This is for you guys who are considering a RAM truck. Just make sure you get the Aisin or plan to beef the 68RFE up yourself.

thanks

Sarge

My Ram DRW MegaCab has been great - Pulls like a beast and stops/controls the heavy loads in all types of weather.

Only issue was a high pressure fitting failed in the hydraulics.

A day later back on the road thanx to the dodge dealer in Gallup, NM.

Sarge

Pongo

I had the same as number 5 clunking when shifting into drive or reverse they checked a couple things didn't help so ended up changing the ring and pinion gears backlash was way out and locking differential was broke also when they were putting it together

Jim.Allison

Let me re-open this thread with something you might not know yet.

I have had trouble with my 2013 RAM 2500 6.7 messaging "Service Air Filter" for seemingly no reason. Old air filter or new the message sets whenever you ask for a little extra power.

If you are having this problem then you need to look at these photos of the cold air intake located under the fender well. Even if you are not having this problem, my advise is to make a similar mod before you pull your rig again. Its easy to pull the fender well.

IMG-0109.jpg IMG-0113.jpgIMG-0112.jpgIMG-0107.jpg

The solution is common dryer vent hose and a little creativity.
IMG-0116.jpgIMG-0111.jpg