Anyone have an Onan Generator in their Landmark 365?

jbeletti

Nice work Steve. The pictures add so much more to the installation story and in doing so, just might give others the confidence that they too can do this.

TikiDawg

Thanks Jerrod, stuffing the generator in the hole was a two person job. I took the majority of the pictures, but she grabbed the camera as I was installing the fuel fitting. Yes, we will have to make a plan for boon docking.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TikiDawg

Nice work Steve. The pictures add so much more to the installation story and in doing so, just might give others the confidence that they too can do this.

Thanks Jim. I take away a lot great information from this forum, so I want to make sure I give something back.

carl.swoyer

I have the Onan 5500 lp in my landmark. I had to replace the 20amp breaker with a 30 amp. This will max out the genset. The only Bad thing is 8 hours running equals 1 40 lb bottle of lp. Depending on where you are lp can get expensive, like in Keywest Fl $ 4.69 per gallon. So I do use my solar panel as much as possible

Carl & Christine, 2012 Landmark Rushmore, 2005 Silverado crew cab lt 8 foot bed 6.6 lly /Allison -custom dual exhaust-198000 miles !

carl.swoyer

Sorry I forgot to mention that the installation process was documented very nice

Carl & Christine, 2012 Landmark Rushmore, 2005 Silverado crew cab lt 8 foot bed 6.6 lly /Allison -custom dual exhaust-198000 miles !

wino2

Re: Anyone have an Onan Generator in their Landmark 365? - Updated with Install Process

Thank you so much, Steve, for the step by step install info and pictures. Can't wait to start on ours. Looking forward to the fuel install, exhaust, and fire up! What size exhaust did you need?

TikiDawg

Sorry I forgot to mention that the installation process was documented very nice

Thanks Carl & Christine

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you so much, Steve, for the step by step install info and pictures. Can't wait to start on ours. Looking forward to the fuel install, exhaust, and fire up! What size exhaust did you need?

Thanks Wino2,
I purchased the Exhaust Pipe from Amazon. 26" Long Version, However to make it exit on the street side I'm taking it to a muffler shop to add another 22 inches to it.
I'm still waiting for the Fuel Pressure Regulator, Fittings and Fuel Lines to arrive.

Attachments

• Amazon Exhaust Pipe.jpg
    Amazon Exhaust Pipe.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 51

carl.swoyer

I did have my exhaust pipe custom made. This allows me to direct the exhaust beyond the bedroom slide and I can use my gen turi extension while the slide is open.

JBoyerinAbq

Jerrod - a quick question concerning the breakers. I went to the local Cummins/Onan shop today to price the 5500lp. They quoted me a price and showed me a display unit. I noticed it had a 30 and 20 amp breaker. I mentioned I'd like to dual 30amp unit and the salesman seemed puzzled. He grabbed the 2016 catalog and flipped through it for a few moments indicating the only 5500lp unit available is with a 20 and 30 amp breaker. Is the dual 30amp something they used to offer or just an upgrade of the 20 amp to a 30 amp? The salesman really didn't have an answer to that question - just wondering if you have any insight. For us, the genny is an emergency thing for the dogs while we're away so the 20 amp is not a deal breaker, but I want to do it right and have followed your previous posts with great interest.

Tiki - is yours a 20/30 amp unit?

Thanks all! Safe travels.

I thinks Tikidawg is installing his this weekend so he should have lot's more info by Monday of what you need. 1 thing I suggest is if you have 3 A/C units make sure you get the one with 2 30amp breakers not the 20amp & 30amp.
Also on mine they installed a 8' gas line all coiled up. I just picked up a 48" line to install I'm don't know if it is the right length yet. Sorry for not having firm info for you.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

TikiDawg

Our generator came with the 30 and 20. Our Key West only has 2 AC units, so we should be fine. Jerrod's Ashland has 3 AC units. When he would turn on the third the 20 amp would pop. When he changed to the 30 amp all 3 AC's work no problem.

JBoyerinAbq

Thanks for the link - I'm going to print and return to the Onan dealer. Makes me wonder if they were just trying to sell what they had on-hand... Again, for us, the genny is an expensive backup to protect our dogs in case we're gone and the ac goes out. Happened to us once in our class-a - we were lucky and had the Onan auto-start kicked the generator right on. Now I guess we are a little paranoid - but our doggies are our babies... So I followed the one thread which seemed to indicate the units are actually the same, just one swapped the 20amp for a 30amp breaker. If that is right, then aside from the hassle of swapping, I guess it does not matter much for us.

Tiki - great write up. I've been following since you originally posted your intention. Your detailed description will certainly make the task easier for many of us "copy-cats".

THANK YOU!

jeff

JBoyerinAbq

Dan,
I printed your spec sheet and then started looking online. I don't why I didn't see that model before - it's clearly available. My bad. Funny - armed with the spec sheet, the local dealer was like "Oh, you mean THAT genny"... Geeeez Interestingly, it is not a model that local shop stocks. There are a couple places online with great prices and free drop shipping, so again, for peace-of-mind, I guess we'll pull the trigger. Now to finish watching/reading Steve's install so I know all the associated parts to buy.

Thanks all - a great resource here. Always learning.

jeff

TikiDawg

Re: Anyone have an Onan Generator in their Landmark 365? - Updated with Install Process

FUEL DELIVERY INSTALL

Please see the EDIT for Step #12 in the previous posts. I had to back track and unbolt the Gen to attach the fuel line to the Generator before bolting the Gen down.

The first two pictures show the Factory Fuel Line Connections.

Step #18 - I removed the factory installed plastic plug, traced a pattern an cut open an "access panel". The 1/2" Steel Braided Fuel Line was like wrestling an alligator. IF I had used regular 3/8" rubber hose, I most likely could have used the factory hole and not had to cut a large access hole.

Step #19 - I removed the factory regulator and replaced with a 1/4" Union and 1/4" Male Gas Flare fitting.

Step #20 - Fuel Line Regulator, Fittings and Hoses. See picture of fuel line plan. I had to make a change to the plan once I started installation. I added a 1/4" Tee for a future BBQ or Fire Pit hose. The hose lengths are 1/2" x 72" (Regulator to Generator) and 1/4" x 12" (Regulator to Factory crossover line to auto fuel switch on curb side of coach.

Step #21 - Installed a removable cover for the access hole, sealed it with silicone and touch-up painted the compartment.

Step #22 -Installed Fuel Tank, Connected Fuel Line and turned the generator fuel line to the "On" position.

FUEL SYSTEM COMPLETE

Attachments

• Stock Fuel Tank Connection.jpg
    Stock Fuel Tank Connection.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 107
  • Stock Fuel Line and Reg.jpg
    Stock Fuel Line and Reg.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 128
  • Access Hole Trace 1.jpg
    Access Hole Trace 1.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 116
  • Hose Plan 1.jpg
    Hose Plan 1.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 169
  • Regulator Install 1.jpg
    Regulator Install 1.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 123
  • Regulator Install 2.jpg
    Regulator Install 2.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 106
  • Access Hole Cover Installed 1.jpg
    Access Hole Cover Installed 1.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 106
  • Access Hole Cover Installed 2.jpg
    Access Hole Cover Installed 2.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 96
  • Fuel Complete.jpg
    Fuel Complete.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 98
  • Replace Stock Reg.jpg
    Replace Stock Reg.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 122

TikiDawg

EXHAUST INSTALLATION

Step #23 - I had purchased the Onan Exhaust Kit from Amazon which includes the Tail Pipe, Exhaust Clamp, and Exhaust Hanger. Once I had the Generator in position, I mocked up the Tail Pipe and measured how long of an extension was need. The DW took the Tail Pipe to the local muffler shop and had them fit a 22" extension piece. Then we picked up a 1-1/2" muffler clamp from the auto parts store. (Picture 1 is the Amazon page) (Picture 2 is the Exhaust Plan).

Step #24 - Installed the Tail Pipe to the Generator Muffler Connection. (Picture 3 is looking up at Generator Muffler and Tail Pipe Connector) (Picture 4 is the Tail Pipe Connected).

Step #25 - Installed the 22" Extension piece.

Step #26 - Installed the Tail Pipe Hanger Clamp.

Step # 27 - Reviewed and visually inspected the entire installation process.

Step #28 - Turn on the Fuel Tank and set the Generator Hose Valve to the "On" position.

Step #29 - Time to "Fire It Up!" Press and HOLD down the Start Switch, there is about a 3 or 4 second delay before the starter motor will engage. Generator fired up and is running.

Step #30 - Continued to let the Generator run and then turned on the Air Conditioners. ALL GOOD.

I hope this thread gives others the initiative to tackle this project in the future.

Attachments

• Amazon Exhaust Pipe.jpg
    Amazon Exhaust Pipe.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 93
  • Exhaust Plan.jpg
    Exhaust Plan.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 108
  • Gen Muffler Connection.jpg
    Gen Muffler Connection.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 103
  • Tail Pipe Connection.jpg
    Tail Pipe Connection.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 104
  • Hanger Mount.jpg
    Hanger Mount.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 109
  • Exhaust Complete.jpg
    Exhaust Complete.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 111

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Very nice Job Steve. Nice tight fit on your Exhaust. I like your custom bending on the hanger bracket too. Also awesome work on the step by step for all to follow.

wino2

Thank you, TikiDawg, for you're detailed descriptions, and photos.
Cant wait to get started on ours, now with a little more confidence.

TikiDawg

Good luck and have fun, it's not too difficult of a project. Thanks

avvidclif

Nice job, very clean. Two comments. The hanger bracket will probably break at the first bend beside the bolt, that's where it will be flexing. Second is on mine the exhaust pipe is abt 4" from the bottom of the trailer. It allows plenty of spacing from the bottom. That pipe gets HOT.

Overall very nice.