Anyone have an Onan Generator in their Landmark 365?

TikiDawg

I am planning on doing the installation of an Onan 5500 or 6500 generator myself. I am looking for photos of installations in other LM365 units. Primarily the propane hook up near the tank and the exhaust system underneath. Any advice would be appreciated.

danemayer

Hi Steve,

Here's a link to the folder with Onan Manuals, including an Installation Manual that might be helpful.

I think there's at least one or two owners who have gone before you - although probably not on a LM365. But I don't think they posted detailed information or pictures from their install.

So if you do this, we'll all be expecting you to post the details and the pictures.

TikiDawg

Hi Danemayer,

Thank you for the link. Yes, I will document and post my installation progress with pictures.

JBoyerinAbq

A BIG thank you Tiki for documenting the effort. We too plan to add the 5500lp unit once we finally get our Newport back from repair and appreciate those willing to write-up their experiences!

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Steve I do have the Onan 5500 in my LM 365 Ashland. I did have it installed at the dealer before delivery. But it looks like a piece of cake. They isolated my propane tanks, 1 for the coach and 1 for the Generator. They gave me a lame reason for it but have found many others on here that have both tanks connected. It is on my to-do list to stream line it and put it back together some day soon. Stop by and check it out anytime.

TikiDawg

Jesstalkn,
Thank you for the generous offer, I will take you up on that as I get closer to the project.

wino2

We just purchased a LM365 Newport. I am in the process of ordering a Onan Genset 5500 for it.
The questions they are asking me, I can't figure out, maybe you fellow forum members could assist.
1) Air discharge kit -side or rear
2) Lenght of tail pipe
3) Supplies needed to run propane line from tanks to unit.

This is is the first installed generator that we are installing. Tired of carrying them in bed of the truck.
Any advice or answers on this would greatly appreciated.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I thinks Tikidawg is installing his this weekend so he should have lot's more info by Monday of what you need. 1 thing I suggest is if you have 3 A/C units make sure you get the one with 2 30amp breakers not the 20amp & 30amp.
Also on mine they installed a 8' gas line all coiled up. I just picked up a 48" line to install I'm don't know if it is the right length yet. Sorry for not having firm info for you.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

TikiDawg

I'm doing an installation of an Onan 5500 in our 2016 Key West this weekend. I will post pictures and parts list and process when complete. Just hoping all the parts I ordered arrive today.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

wino2

Thank you, Jesstalkin, and TikiDawg, for the info.
Looking forward to your install advise, TikiDawg, and thanks in advance!

TikiDawg

Re: Anyone have an Onan Generator in their Landmark 365? - Updated with Install Process

On Saturday 5/14, I started the Installation of a Cummins Onan 5500 LP Generator in our 2016 Landmark 365 - Key West.
This Post will be divided into to multiple parts because I'm not sure how many pictures I can attach to one post.
I'm sure there are lots of ways to get this project done. These are the step I took.

Part 1 (in multiple posts) will be the physical installation and electrical connections.
Part 2 (in multiple posts) will be the fuel line connections (parts did not arrive in time).

Our Key West came with the Generator Prep Package [Pictures 1 thru 5]

Step #1 - Cut out the Vent Holes with a saws all or die grinder [Pictures 6,7, and 8]

Attachments

• 1_Gen Prep Package Front.jpg
    1_Gen Prep Package Front.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 164
  • 2_Gen Prep Package Top.jpg
    2_Gen Prep Package Top.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 158
  • 3_Gen Prep Package Bottom.jpg
    3_Gen Prep Package Bottom.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 162
  • 4_Gen Prep Package Circuit Box.jpg
    4_Gen Prep Package Circuit Box.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 154
  • 5_Gen Prep Package Battery Compartment.jpg
    5_Gen Prep Package Battery Compartment.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 160
  • 8_Holes Cut Out Top.jpg
    8_Holes Cut Out Top.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 153
  • 9_Holes Cut Out Side.jpg
    9_Holes Cut Out Side.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 152
  • 91_Holes Cut Out Bottom.jpg
    91_Holes Cut Out Bottom.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 146

TikiDawg

Re: Anyone have an Onan Generator in their Landmark 365? - Updated with Install Process

Step #2 - Rented a Genie Lift from a local rental company
Step #3 - Installed Flexible 1/2" Conduit to Generator
Step #4 - Cut a holes for Flex Conduit, Fuel Line, and Battery Cables using a 1-1/2" Hole Saw and 1" Rubber Grommets

Attachments

• 92_Gen Connection Side.jpg
    92_Gen Connection Side.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 162
  • 94_Flexible Conduit Installed.jpg
    94_Flexible Conduit Installed.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 158
  • 93_Genie Lift.jpg
    93_Genie Lift.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 162
  • 95_Hole Cut for Flex Conduit Gen Side.jpg
    95_Hole Cut for Flex Conduit Gen Side.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 152
  • 96_Hole Cut for Flex Conduit Bat Side.jpg
    96_Hole Cut for Flex Conduit Bat Side.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 156
  • 961_Hole Cut for Fuel Line.jpg
    961_Hole Cut for Fuel Line.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 156

TikiDawg

Step #5 - For Some reason the bolts holes in the bottom of the Generator were not tapped and the bolts they provided were not self tapping. Had to Tap the 4 holes with a 3/8 x 16 Tap.
Step #6 - Rolled Genie Lift closer to Coach and fed Flexible Conduit through the hole to battery compartment.
Step #7 - Had DW hold/guide Flexible Conduit as I pushed Genie Lift into position.
Step #8 - Unscrew Generator Sheet Metal Box at Battery Side Bottom (1 screw) and push toward battery to make extra clearance.
Step #9 - Push Generator into place.
Step #10 - Plug in GenSet Connector.

Attachments

• 97_Bottom of Gen Not Tapped 3-8 x 16.jpg
    97_Bottom of Gen Not Tapped 3-8 x 16.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 166
  • 98_Flex Conduit through Hole.jpg
    98_Flex Conduit through Hole.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 158
  • 981_Flex Conduit Bat Side.jpg
    981_Flex Conduit Bat Side.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 149
  • 982_Flex Conduit Guide.jpg
    982_Flex Conduit Guide.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 150
  • 983_Unscrew Gen Box Sheet Metal.jpg
    983_Unscrew Gen Box Sheet Metal.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 150
  • 984_Plug for GenSet Connector.jpg
    984_Plug for GenSet Connector.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 149
  • 985_Plug In GenSet Connector.jpg
    985_Plug In GenSet Connector.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 150

TikiDawg

Step #11 - I decided to go with a 1/2" Steel braided Fuel Line from the 2 stage Pressure Regulator to the Generator. (Perhaps a little over kill, but that's just me.) Picture of fitting used at Generator connection.
Step #12 - Installed the Fuel Line Fitting before bolting down the Generator
*** I had to back track here while dong the fuel line install. I had to lift the Generator back out of the hole and install the fuel line to the fitting and then feed the hose up into the fuel tank compartment. There just wasn't enough room to get my hands in between the firewall and generator to connect the line to the fitting with the Generator bolted down. This may have been easier with 3/8" fuel line. Wrestling the 1/2" steel braided line was extremely difficult.
Step #13 - Installed the 4 (3/8" x 16) bolts rom the bottom up. (lots of fun here!)
Step #14 - Joined the wires in the Circuit Box. 2 Whites to White, Black to Black, Black with Yellow Stripe to Red, Green to Ground.
Step #15 - Closed up the Circuit Box. (Note: Hole in firewall could have been a little lower)

Attachments

• 986_Fuel Line Part at Gen.jpg
    986_Fuel Line Part at Gen.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 155
  • 987_Install Fuel Line Connection 1.jpg
    987_Install Fuel Line Connection 1.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 147
  • 988_Fuel Line Connection Installed.jpg
    988_Fuel Line Connection Installed.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 140
  • 989_Generator in Place - Bolts In.jpg
    989_Generator in Place - Bolts In.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 144
  • 99_Inside Circuit Box.jpg
    99_Inside Circuit Box.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 148
  • 991_Circuit Box Wired Up.jpg
    991_Circuit Box Wired Up.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

TikiDawg

Step #16 - Battery Cable Installation from Generator to Battery.
Step #17 - Connect Positive Cable to Battery First, then Negative Cable Second.

Generator Physical and Electrical Installation is Complete.
Except for exhaust. I need to have the exhaust pipe "extended" another 22". I will provide pictures when it come back from the muffler shop.

Fuel Delivery System Installation coming soon (as soon as the parts arrive)

Attachments

• 992_Battery Cables Installed.jpg
    992_Battery Cables Installed.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 150
  • 993_Battery Cables Installed 2.jpg
    993_Battery Cables Installed 2.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 143
  • 994_Battery Cables Installed 3.jpg
    994_Battery Cables Installed 3.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 136
  • 995_Battery Cables Installed to Battery.jpg
    995_Battery Cables Installed to Battery.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 142
  • 996_Finished Mount and Electrical.jpg
    996_Finished Mount and Electrical.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 143

jdamude

Step #16 - Battery Cable Installation from Generator to Battery.
Step #17 - Connect Positive Cable to Battery First, then Negative Cable Second.

Generator Physical and Electrical Installation is Complete.
Except for exhaust. I need to have the exhaust pipe "extended" another 22". I will provide pictures when it come back from the muffler shop.

Fuel Delivery System Installation coming soon (as soon as the parts arrive)

Thanks for the step by step installation. I'm doing the same instalation in our Big Country 4010RD. I'm interested in finding out how you routed the fuel line and also if you can tell me what size grommets you used and where you sourced them?

Our trail did not have the prep package. I purchased everything from Heartland to do the install. We had to take the fire box apart to get it in a reassemble it in the coach. Worked out good. I'm leaving the right side off until we slide the generator in.

Thanks
Jeff

TikiDawg

The grommets are 1 inch inside. I think I got them on Amazon. Pack of 10. They use a 1.5 inch hole saw.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

What's the deal Steve, do you have Kelly taking pictures for you ? Your gonna make me have to step up my game and get Rhonda out here doing my photography.
Real nice step by step. your giving Jim B. a run for his money.

Let's do some boon-docking buddy.