anyone install trailer hitch to a Big Horn?

mrhypnosis

MrHypnosis (Dave & Lyne)
I was wondering if anyone has installed a trailer hitch to their Big Horn. I wanted to install either a platform to carry 700 lb. motorcycle or a swivel wheel system. Here is a link to the swivel wheel system to see what I mean. www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel.html . If I cant do that, do you know of a reliable company that would transport a motorcycle to Florida either from Ottawa, On or Watertown or Syracuse NY.
Any help is greatfully appreciated.
Dave

Dale Smith

Hello Dave,

I have a trailer hitch installed on the back of my 2011 Bighorn 3055. Once the trailer arrived at the dealer, I had them install the hitch prior to me picking up the trailer.

I have a three wheeled recumbent bicycle that rides on a special carrier in this hitch location.

This summer I removed the trailer hitch from the Bighorn and had a welding shop add a second receiver location to both the hitch and the bike rack. With these two receivers engaged, I am hoping to have a lot less bouncing of the bike. On our trip to Arizona last winter, the bike was taking quite a ride back there and I felt I needed to do something about it. I can't say yet how much of the problem, I have solved but I am hopeful that it is much better.

We will be going out on 15 September and I will be able to tell you better how the bike rides back there after this trip.

Hope all is well with you and Lyne in your travels.

Dale and Alice Smith

Dale Smith

Hello Dave,

I looked at your website attachment for the different carriers that are available from that company, after I posted my first response to your question. I see in their lineup a number of dual receiver type of applications.

My set up on the back of the Bighorn is a variation of that. In my instance, since I am dealing with a much lighter product. I left the original centralized receiver point and then added one as far outboard as I could to accommodate the bike carrier.

I sure like the looks of some of their products and down the road it may even be a better idea for myself and carrying the bike. It would certainly be overkill but I would be better safe than sorry and I can also carry a second standard bicycle on this platform.

Dale

GOTTOYS

I would never try to carry anything that heavy back there. The frame just wasn't made for it.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I was wondering if anyone has installed a trailer hitch to their Big Horn. I wanted to install either a platform to carry 700 lb. motorcycle or a swivel wheel system. Here is a link to the swivel wheel system to see what I mean. www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel.html . If I cant do that, do you know of a reliable company that would transport a motorcycle to Florida either from Ottawa, On or Watertown or Syracuse NY.
Any help is greatfully appreciated.
Dave

There are many brands of the previously mentioned carriers on the market.
The structural & safety aspect of it, not withstanding;
I have never been able to get an agreement from law enforcement, DMV, or otherwise as to whether this is a trailer or not. It doesn't pivot, so I would think it should be considered a platform, with a tag wheel.
I am also confused by most mfgrs FAQ's. On one hand, it says it is not a "trailer". but "a platform,an extension of the 5th wheel". However, it also states that it must be licensed as a trailer in some states. It also says in some states it is considered triple towing and you must have a class A (in California) drivers license. So which is it? A trailer or a platform carrier?

GOTTOYS

If I had one I would treat it as an extension of the trailer. In many States small trailers don't require a license anyway. Once you get out of your home State I doubt that anyone would know the difference or care...Don

TandT

If I had one I would treat it as an extension of the trailer. In many States small trailers don't require a license anyway. Once you get out of your home State I doubt that anyone would know the difference or care...Don

Yes, your right. The CHP are probably one of the few agencies that worry about such things.
I am in Utah right now and it is jaw dropping, some of the towing combinations you see here. 36' fivers, with 12,000lb boats behind them. Trace

andy

Dave I have had a swivel wheel trailer ( smartrailer brand ) on the back of my 3600 bighorn for almost two years I have never been stopped ( i probably will now ) with a golf cart an havent had any trouble .

TandT

Dave I have had a swivel wheel trailer ( smartrailer brand ) on the back of my 3600 bighorn for almost two years I have never been stopped ( i probably will now ) with a golf cart an havent had any trouble .

Andy, I'm just curious. How do tires hold up on those swivel wheel trailer/platforms? What kind of mileage do you get out of them and how fast do you normally tow? Thanks, Trace

rnewk52

Brian, I like your design, it's very similar to one I was thinking about. How much weight are you pulling with this hitch?

brianharrison

I plan on doing something like this when my BH factory warranty is up. I like the bumper aspect of it, as well. The factory look of no bumper is stylish, however, if you just get tapped from behind. the rear cap is toast

Plus it stores my sewer hose.....

Brian