Anyone travel with a piano?

Pamela_R

Hi All,

My husband and I just retired and are planning to buy our 1st 5th wheel (haven't decided yet between toy hauler or regular 5ver). Keep coming back to Heartland because of quality and the way they feel like a home. We will be selling our house and going full time.

I would like to hear from anyone who has traveled with a piano, specifically, a digital. I planned ahead for this day a few years ago when I bought my Yamaha Disclavier grand piano. I knew, obviously, that I couldn't travel with that one (although I suppose I could have put it in a TH garage, lol), so I negotiated a price to include an upright Yamaha Clavinova, in addition to the grand. The grand is now sold (still mourning it), but, as planned, I have the upright to take with me.

In spite of it looking like a traditional piano, it is a digital piano, so weighs less than 200 pounds. If we don't buy a toy hauler, which already has anchors in the garage, it will probably replace a dinette or a sofa. Is it possible to special order the 5th wheel from Heartland with anchors put in where we need them?

Also, has anyone had experience with the electronics not being able to hold up to all the turbulence of moving down the road?

Thanks,
Pam

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I cannot speak about how it would hold up to the road while traveling. I think your bigger issue would be if you could get it to fit into a regular fifth wheel. A toy hauler obviously would not be an issue. I do not believe Heartland will customize any of their units to include tie downs in any of their rvs that are not already in their design plans. Another issue you will have out on the road is dealing with people who want peace and quiet, not a piano being played next to them. Good luck figuring this all out.

Crumgater

You must be a true musician to not ditch the upright for a plain ol' keyboard. :)
(I play sax in a big band, I'd love to camp next to you and be able to hear you play!)

In our Elkridge, we had the 'freestanding dinette' option. We often took out the table and chairs to put in other furniture. There are a few tie-down spots that were used for holding the chairs in place that might work for the piano, or you could talk to the dealer about putting some extra tie-downs in.

We used 2x4's and straps to hold our stuff tight against the wall and minimize movement.

It will get bounced around though, so hopefully the piano will be ok with all the vibrations and movement of going down the road.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
One other issue you might have is.............getting it into a non-TH'er entry door. Better take some measurements on width, height etc. You know the weight already.

Larry&LyndaSmith

Past New Mexico Chapter Leaders
Hello:
I am a "true" musician but I know that weight is a problem in a rig. I bought a Casio Privia stage piano with an sturdy x stand to travel in our Bighorn. The high end Casio's are much improved. When traveling I put a towel on the couch and put the piano on the couch. Never had a problem.
Now we are full timing in a Landmark Newport 365. I also worked for Yamaha and Roland for many years. I have a Roland FP-30 (I suggest you look at this line). It has a fine piano quality and many wonderful features and it isn't bulky or cumbersome- no its not a Steinway but for practicality I use the piano to keep my hands in shape and for pleasure. I put the piano against the island and still have plenty of room to walk between the dining room table and the island. I also travel with a classical guitar which fits neatly behind one of the lounge chairs in the Newport when not in use. We also considered a toyhauler, but love the accommodations in the Landmark- particularly the bath and a half. I have a carry case and can move the piano if there is an event at where we are staying. I am retired now so I am really just enjoying music for myself as it has been my career since I graduated college. I hope this helps.

Pamela_R

I have been doing a lot of driving the past few days. Every time I tried to respond, when I wasn't driving, I got interrupted before I finished. But I want to thank you for answering my question.

Pam

Pamela_R

Hello:
I am a "true" musician but I know that weight is a problem in a rig. I bought a Casio Privia stage piano with an sturdy x stand to travel in our Bighorn. The high end Casio's are much improved. When traveling I put a towel on the couch and put the piano on the couch. Never had a problem.
Now we are full timing in a Landmark Newport 365. I also worked for Yamaha and Roland for many years. I have a Roland FP-30 (I suggest you look at this line). It has a fine piano quality and many wonderful features and it isn't bulky or cumbersome- no its not a Steinway but for practicality I use the piano to keep my hands in shape and for pleasure. I put the piano against the island and still have plenty of room to walk between the dining room table and the island. I also travel with a classical guitar which fits neatly behind one of the lounge chairs in the Newport when not in use. We also considered a toyhauler, but love the accommodations in the Landmark- particularly the bath and a half. I have a carry case and can move the piano if there is an event at where we are staying. I am retired now so I am really just enjoying music for myself as it has been my career since I graduated college. I hope this helps.

You must feel very blessed that you were able to have a career doing something you loved. I wish I could say I am a true musician, also, but, alas, I am not that good. I play for my own enjoyment.

You are right that it would be much more practical to just have a keyboard, as you suggested. That did cross my mind-- after I had already purchased my clavinova. It was quite expensive so it is not an option to lay out the money again for a different one. Besides, even if it is impractical, I think it will make me feel more like I am in a home. I'm pretty sure the sofas weigh more than the piano, so if I take out one sofa I'll actually have less weight. Or I might sacrifice a dinette instead.

I have been wanting to look at a Landmark but haven't been able to find one anywhere within a couple of hours from us. Totally agree with you on the half bath. Definitely high on my priority list.

Pamela_R

One other issue you might have is.............getting it into a non-TH'er entry door. Better take some measurements on width, height etc. You know the weight already.

Thanks for bringing that up. We stopped at a couple of dealers yesterday, tape measure in hand. I already knew the piano would fit through the door, since it is only 2' feet deep. But what we hadn't considered before, is that a lot of the doors are positioned so they are partly in the hallway. So making the turn could be a problem. But I think it could work if we upended the piano. Of course, when we decide which one we want, I will make certain before buying.

Pam

Pamela_R

You must be a true musician to not ditch the upright for a plain ol' keyboard. :)
(I play sax in a big band, I'd love to camp next to you and be able to hear you play!)

In our Elkridge, we had the 'freestanding dinette' option. We often took out the table and chairs to put in other furniture. There are a few tie-down spots that were used for holding the chairs in place that might work for the piano, or you could talk to the dealer about putting some extra tie-downs in.

We used 2x4's and straps to hold our stuff tight against the wall and minimize movement.

It will get bounced around though, so hopefully the piano will be ok with all the vibrations and movement of going down the road.

I would love to hear you play the sax! Years ago, I owned a store and became friends with one of my customers. An older gentleman, who had traveled with a blues band for years as a sax player. He had been blind since the age of seven, so had never driven, but I remember I mentioned once that we were taking a trip to Waco, Texas, and he named the highways and the exact route we should take! Are you, by any chance, a blues player, also?

The vibrations are my main worry with the piano. I don't know if it being a digital, rather than an acoustic piano, is better or worse, as far as the vibrations. Thank you for the suggestion on the tie downs. I will look into that.

Pam

Pamela_R

I cannot speak about how it would hold up to the road while traveling. I think your bigger issue would be if you could get it to fit into a regular fifth wheel. A toy hauler obviously would not be an issue. I do not believe Heartland will customize any of their units to include tie downs in any of their rvs that are not already in their design plans. Another issue you will have out on the road is dealing with people who want peace and quiet, not a piano being played next to them. Good luck figuring this all out.

Yes, it has been more to figure out than I realized at first. But after looking at many floor plans, it seems doable. Of course, we will have to sacrifice either a sofa or a dinette, depending on the floor plan.

I am not worried about disturbing the peace. I always try to be mindful of neighbors and pianos don't have to be played loudly. Also, mine being digital, I have the option of putting on head phones and setting it so that no one except myself can hear it at all. It seems to me the bigger problem, as far as peace and quiet, would not be a piano played indoors, but rather, all the people playing their music through their built-in outdoor speakers, or watching their outdoor TV's. Both of which now seem to be standard equipment on RV's, or at least an option.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
It seems to me the bigger problem, as far as peace and quiet, would not be a piano played indoors, but rather, all the people playing their music through their built-in outdoor speakers, or watching their outdoor TV's. Both of which now seem to be standard equipment on RV's, or at least an option.

I wouldn't worry about that . . .

Those outdoor speakers are so crappy that nobody ever uses them!

Pamela_R

I wouldn't worry about that . . .

Those outdoor speakers are so crappy that nobody ever uses them!

Good to know. If I am outside, I want to either be enjoying nature, or being social with fellow campers, not listening to music or watching TV. Of course, I've never had that option before, so, just like my husband had to talk me into getting a microwave years ago (he ended up just surprising me with one), I may end up changing my tune if I actually have an outdoor TV.

I see that one of my favorite places, Colorado Springs, is on your list twice. Have you seen the castle built by General Palmer, a railroad baron who founded and planned Colorado Springs as a place for his employees to live? I'm not talking about the tourist trap castle in town. I am talking about a true castle, which is now privately owned by the Navigators, a Christian organization, who use it as their headquarters and conference grounds.

Pam

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Good to know. If I am outside, I want to either be enjoying nature, or being social with fellow campers, not listening to music or watching TV. Of course, I've never had that option before, so, just like my husband had to talk me into getting a microwave years ago (he ended up just surprising me with one), I may end up changing my tune if I actually have an outdoor TV.

I see that one of my favorite places, Colorado Springs, is on your list twice. Have you seen the castle built by General Palmer, a railroad baron who founded and planned Colorado Springs as a place for his employees to live? I'm not talking about the tourist trap castle in town. I am talking about a true castle, which is now privately owned by the Navigators, a Christian organization, who use it as their headquarters and conference grounds.

Pam

I sometimes use the outdoor speakers to listen to the news while outside grilling or maybe music while working on the trailer.

Otherwise, I hardly ever use the outside speakers.

As for 'The Springs' . . . we live about 90 miles north of there.

I've not seen the castle, but we have camped down there at Mountaindale three times (two of them HOC Rallies and the other our maiden voyage with the Prowler - photo below) and at Cheyenne Mountain State Park, plus go to the AF Academy, Pike's Peak and Garden Of The Gods for sightseeing.

CheyenneMtnCO2014-IMG_2007.jpg ProwlerAtMountaindale2015-P1000145.jpg

MTPockets

We had a Yamaha Clavinova and sold it when we started full timing. I measured the space I wanted to store behind the recliners and purchased a full size keyboard to size and folding stand. Travelled great and never an issue.

Pamela_R

I sometimes use the outdoor speakers to listen to the news while outside grilling or maybe music while working on the trailer.

Otherwise, I hardly ever use the outside speakers.

As for 'The Springs' . . . we live about 90 miles north of there.

I've not seen the castle, but we have camped down there at Mountaindale three times (two of them HOC Rallies and the other our maiden voyage with the Prowler - photo below) and at Cheyenne Mountain State Park, plus go to the AF Academy, Pike's Peak and Garden Of The Gods for sightseeing.

Next time you get down that way, you should try to see the castle. I haven't been there for years, so don't know if they still do this, but they used to do a free tour on Tuesday mornings that was open to the public. I was staying on the grounds, but I joined the tour anyway and was glad I did. It was in the early 80's at the time and I was fortunate enough to be in a tour that included an elderly woman and her ancient father. It turned out that he had worked for General Palmer (civil war), who built the castle. The original furnishings are gone, but he described to us what it was like when he was young.

The castle, Glen Eyrie (Scottish for "Valley of the Eagle's Nest"), is built next to the Garden of the Gods so you see the rock formations bordering the grounds, but it is in a green valley. So lovely and peaceful. You can get a book their that tells about the General, which is fascinating. It is short and well worth reading. He had central vacuuming in his castle. Keep in mind that he died in 1909! He also didn't want smoke from the fireplaces hanging over the valley so he had a tunnel dug through the mountain to pipe it out the other side. But what impressed me the most, is that when he sold his railroad, he had all of his employees line the railway for the last trip and he distributed $5,000,000 dollars from the sale to them. Five million dollars in the 1800's! Wikipedia tells about how, in spite of being a Quaker, he enlisted in the Civil war because his conscience dictated that he should fight slavery. He became a general at age 28. He earned the Medal of Honor.

Didn't mean to run on, but I enjoy history. It is a place worth seeing, especially when you know the story of the original owner. My husband and I went back and took our sons to see it.

Pam