Anyone use Impact Driver for Lug Nut on RV

porthole

Retired
Does the Viair compressor have enough capacity to operate an air driven impact wrench?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No they do not. AFAIK there are only a few compressors really capable of driving a 1/2" impact gun without a volume tank. And they range form $600-S1800.

porthole

Retired
Yes I believe it will do the job. I like the 400P-RV but it looks like they are both 150PSI - 2.30 CFM

My opinion would be to get the 400P-RV setup. I had it for a bit before I put the big system in my truck.

When you look at compressors you have to look past the initial rating.
The 400P for example 150 PSI 2.3 CFM

Both of those numbers are max, but you have to look a the chart

150 psi at .7 CFM
2.3 CFM at 0 psi

A decent 1/2" air impact gun is going to need about 100 psi at 4-5 CFM.
That means without a volume tank you will need 4 or 5 of those compressors running in unison to use the impact gun. (100 psi at 1.1 CFM)

Next you have to look at the duty cycle. The above compressors are rated at 33% at 100 psi (1 minute run, 2 minutes rest)

I have 2 tanks, a 5 and 3 gallon and it is not enough to run a gun for all the lugs on one wheel of our truck.

If you are using it to fill tires another thing to keep in mind is the pressure rating.
All the compressors use a pneumatic pressure switch to turn the compressor on and off.

Typical pressure switch is a 150 psi switch (100/150) The switch shuts off the compressor at 150 psi and turns it on between 100-115 on average. Freestone rates their switch at 100/150.

This adds to frustration trying to fill a 110 or 125 psi tire. The compressor may reach shut off pressure before you are finished, but if your 125 psi G114 is only at 115 the pressure is not low enough to turn the compressor back on. You have to artificially lower the pressure.

Viair also makes models similar to the above that are 100% duty cycle, 150 psi max and 100% duty cycle 200 psi max

I use a Viair twin pack of 480's. These are 100% duty cycle, 200 psi rated. I control them with two pressure switches, a 150 and 200.
90% of the time I am only using the 150 switch. When I need to do tires or just need the volume I use the 200psi switch.