Anyone using storage comparment slide-out tray?

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Hi folks
Well I finally got to post the pictures of the slide out tray and the front area of the basement that I rearranged. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 166
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 149
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 152
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 158
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 154
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 150

jbeletti

Glenn,

Wow - what a nice job. Very organized and functional. I measured my basement up this weekend as I continue to plan this future project and you are giving me even more ideas.

Great pics - thanks for sharing.

Jim

Cheryl

Nelson will NEVER be that organized. he's a bit of a slob. But, very nice looking (your storage, not Nelson;))!

Last edited:

BigBlue

BigBlue
Glenn
Did you attach the left side of your slideout to the wall? In the Monticello, the left wall is two sliding panels. The panels give you access to plumbing and tanks so if you attach anything you can't get back there.
On the plywood wall you put up. How did you attach the plywood?
jim

BluegrassMan

Quick Draw Tray RE:

Sunday I emailed the Quick Draw Products Co. I related what happened to my tray. I got an email today from them, thay are going to call and talk to me about my tray. I don't know what will happen, but at least they contacted me .

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Hi Jim
My slide out tray is installed on the street side of the trailer, so the access panels are on the right. Any way the front section was seperated from the rest of the basement. On my Grand Canyon there is a small drop ledge at the bottom and a peice of frame runs across the top. The plywood has to be installed in two pieces, no other way to get it in the area, and than using self taping screws it is secured to the frames mentioned above. The shelves are heavy duty KV standards with adjustable brackets and good old white wire shelving.

As for the tray, mine is 36" wide and about 42" deep. The slides, which are heavy duty Accu-ride (about $150), are moounted to "L" shape mounts make of plywood an screwed to the floor. The shelf above the tray was installed after I decided what I wanted to place in the tray. A small piece of wood is secured on the front, which is the dividing wall, and a taller piece is attached to the right "L" bracket for the tray, this suppoorts the upper shelf. There is about four inches of clearance from the front and about ten from the sliding access panels. This gives me access to the tank valves, and since the tray is only aobut half the width of the basement, I can still get to the panel to the tanks and such from the off street side.

I hope this helps. Let us know how yours works out for you.

Glenn

BigBlue

BigBlue
Glenn
Yes that helps.
I purchased sliding door tracks and installed them so I could put sliding doors between the front section and the rest of the basement. I like your idea better because it makes it strong enough to support the shelves. My sliding doors aren't strong enough and also the shelves would stop the ability to slide them back and forth. I'm going to have to rethink the idea of the sliding doors.
Jim

BluegrassMan

Quick Draw Slide out trays !

Hi everyone:None

The other day I had said that I got an Email from Quick Draw Products. I didn't know what would transpire. WELL ! Let me tell you, A guy Van Simms called me the other evening, wanting to know exactly what happened, how it was loaded etc. He is VERY interested in keeping Heartland owners happy with their products !!!

He is sending me a NEW complete tray !!! :eek: I have to send the old one back to them to check out what went wrong. Quick Draw is paying for the return shippment too. He (Van) said that nobody should have to be Embarrased in front of people because the product failed to do the job.

I couldn't have found a better representative from a company that he is ! Great service. He also told me that his company makes the rear electric stabilazer unit, the hydraulic slidouts, and the front legs on our trailers.:D

Finally a good end to a problem I thought I'd have to deal with on my own.

BluegrassMan

Got My Tray

Friday afternoon I got a call from Fed-X, my tray is arriving in a couple minutes. The driver was checking to see if I was home. It is now on the floor in my garage. I'm happy with Quick Draw's service in this matter, I'll just be MORE watchful when latching (DOUBLE CHECK) it.;)

jbeletti

Denny,

Let us know if this unit is any different from the one it replaces (beefier etc.). Also, does this one come with a locking pin (in addition to the standard latching) of any sort?

Thanks,

Jim

BluegrassMan

Quick Draw Tray RE:

Hi All:
Jim. In answer to your question, no it is exactly the same as the first one. The factory guy (Lippert's), Van, assured me that the latches should hold. He can't explain why mine became UN-latched.
I asked Van if "I" should drill and pin their product. He said that would be a safety ONLY if I remember to do this every time, BUT their tray SHOULD'NT just unlatch.
I am sending the other one back to them (on their dime) to see WHY it failed to stay latched. I'll probably never be 100% trusting in the latches.:confused:

jbeletti

Slide-Out Tray Research Update

Hi All,

Thanks for all the input everyone has given me on this topic.

I worked on this a bit more today. I spoke to Jim Mayhew at Joey Bed today. I told him that I was looking for a storage area slide-out tray that will slide out from both sides of the trailer. That put me into the Joey Bed Dual Extender.

For my Landmark, with a 93" clear pass-through, side to side, I am looking at JoeyBed's 90" model. This gives me an inch and a half margin on each side of the trailer.

With most brands of trays, you supply your own bottom. JoeyBed wants you to use 3/4" plywood for the bottom and for the 2 ends. As such, you can make the slide any width you need. While I am still thinking all of this through, I am considering a tray bottom width of 30".

JoeyBed brand slides are not inexpensive. I suspect you get what you pay for. I don't want trouble, I want strength and trouble free operation. I hope that's what JoeyBed will give me. The 90" length Dual Extender model will was quoted (with 10% discount) at $660 plus shipping (est. $130). So an ~$800 deal plus the cost of a sheet of 3/4" plywood and some paint.

I use the heck out of those clear totes (called "keeps") with blue lids from Sam's Club. I think Costco has them too. I could get 16 on my proposed slide (2 rows of 4 stacked 2 units high). Of course, I have other items that do not fit in totes (dish, grill, 20# LP tank, chairs and etc.). Some of the skinny stuff will still go to one side of the slide out tray but some of it is bulky and will have to go in the tray. I have the forward area already full (nice folding chairs, dog pen, RotoChoks, wood pads etc.).

Anyway this is a work in progress but I am getting close. I have attached a few images showing what this might look like.

Feel free to take a few shots at me on this as I need to know what I am not thinking of.

Jim

PS: Got some information from the factory (Scott) to pass along. This pertains to my unit but I would assume it pertains to all Landmark models as well.

I needed to know how much room I had for screws into the floor of my storage area as I knew I had tanks under there. I was told that underneath the rubber floor mat, there is 5/8" thick plywood. Underneath that is 1.5" aluminum framing. That's 2-1/8" plus the thickness of the rubber floor, plus the thickness of the slide rail I am securing. That said, I plan to use no longer than 2" screws. Since I have no sense of where the framing members are, even 2" screws will be overkill. JoeyBed supplies 1" lag bolts. I'll probably use those and supplement their quantity as needed.

Attachments

• akro-mils_clear_blue_keep.jpg
    akro-mils_clear_blue_keep.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 75
  • keeps_slide.jpg
    keeps_slide.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 103
  • joey_bed_dual_extender.jpg
    joey_bed_dual_extender.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Jim
Just a quick thought on the slide. I like the idea of having one big slide that will go both directions, but have you thought about having to crawl over the slide bracket the will be mounted on the floor when you need to get to the pump and other item behind the sliding doors?

jbeletti

fireflipper,

Good point. Yes, I am thinking about that. As I have it designed now (30" wide), I'll have about a foot. So yeah, it will be hard. But, by sliding the JoeyBed out the door side, from the off door side, I should be able to crawl over the slide track and into the utility area.

My plan is to go out to the trailer, take everything out of the basement and using the ground, arrange and rearrange everything right there on the ground until I find the configuration that works for me yet takes the narrowest footprint.

I am seriously thinking about going 1 tote wide instead of 2 and rotating the tote 90 degrees. That will make my slide bottom about 22".

I think the determining factor will be the width if the rolling duffle that stores my Weber Baby Q and the width of the case that stores my portable Winegard dish. I plan to make a shelf in the center of the JoeyBed to stack these 2 items. Then use a double stack of totes on each end, as many deep as I can fit.

Thanks for the input. Keep shooting me things to think about.

Jim

BluegrassMan

A Different slide out tray

Hi All:
While looking at the vendors, The Joey Bed people were there, and another company that I didn't know of " SLIDE MASTER ". I was VERY impressed with their trays. Steel or ALUMINIUM!!!! manual or ELECTRIC !!!! Of course you get what you pay for. And Pay you will for the aluminium-electric ones.

They have a website, www.slidemaster-rv.com ,I think everything that is on my
4 page paper would be on their site.

JIM may be interested in one of these, if he's still looking. some models hold up to 1000 pounds. Go take a look and compare prices. Just thought ya'll would be interested in this one.;)

jbeletti

Denny,

Man, you're making this easy for me. Thanks.

I checked out SlideMaster's website (Inovative Industries, Inc.). Nice site. Tons of detail.

Anyway, for my configuration (90" long x 24"-30" wide, dual sliding), I would require their model SM2-AL-G2-D. It is a dual rail system and aluminum (with nylon bearings).

Cost (not including tax/delivery) would be $600, $645 or $700 for no deck, 1/2" wood deck with carpet or 1/8" aluminum deck.

JoeyBed was $660 for no deck. JoeyBed's dual slider is steel with ball bearing. For $60 more, I am favoring the aluminum SlideMaster for its greater strength lighter weight.

To be fair to myself, I'll take a harder look at Kwikee too.

Thanks again for turning me on to this.

Jim

jbeletti

Denny,

Looks like I will be going with a SlideMaster. Going to do a bit more research on them to see what the street feels about it, then place an order next week after taking a few more measurements this coming weekend.

Should I go with SlideMaster, it will be their aluminum, dual slide model. I was wrong above too - they use steel ball bearings with the aluminum slide model. It's the aluminum C to C (?) and tip-out models that use the Nylon-like bearings.

I was also wrong on the prices I posted above. A 90" long, dual slide, aluminum unit with carpeted deck, delivered fully assembled will be $700, less a 10% show discount - so $630 plus freight from Antigo, WI (probably ~$100).

Thanks and I'll let you know what I do.

Jim

BluegrassMan

A Different slide out tray RE:

Hi Jim and All:

I'm glad that you've decided on your choice. I just had to post that I saw these at Hershey Saturday. As soon as I saw them I thought of our posts on the forum. I hope everything works out for you. Glad to be of assistance.;)

Denny