Anyone using storage comparment slide-out tray?

jbeletti

Pulled the trigger and ordered a slide-out tray

Well, I did it. I ordered a slide-out tray for my Landmark today.

Thanks to Denny's keen eye at the Hershey, PA RV show, I learned about SlideMaster brand slide-out trays by Inovative Industries, Inc. out of Antigo, WI.

Here's what I ordered:
Model: SM2-AL-G2-D (with carpeted wood tray)
Length: 90" (overall maximum end-to-end length)
Width: 24" (inside tray width - NOT overall side-to-side width)
Cost: $700 less 10% Hershey, PA show special - net: $630 plus freight (est. $100)

Scheduled to ship Oct. 17 and arrive the next day.

Jim

BluegrassMan

SlideMaster RE:

Hi Jim:

I always like to spend OTHER people's money !!!!:p I'm glad to be of service,El Capitan. It was just one of those FYI things.

Denny:rolleyes:

jbeletti

Slide-Out Tray - Done!

Hi all,

I received my slide-out storage tray this week and installed it today after I winterized the rig.

So far, I am really impressed with the unit. It's all aluminum with steel roller bearings. It has a carpeted plywood tray.

I had to build it up 1-1/4" in order for it to clear the door frame. I tossed around several methods and materials for doing this. In the end, I kept it simple and used 1-1/4" square deck balusters from Home Depot. Using balusters of the right dimension saved me from having to rip 2x4's. I would have rather used a hardwood like oak but could not find anything suitable.

I used 2" deck screws to fasten the build-up frame to the floor (rubber deck over 5/8 decking). To fasten the slide-out tray bottom frame to the build-up frame and floor, I used 3-1/2" bolts with flat washers and nuts with locking nylon inserts for the 4 corners and 3-1/2" wood thread lag bolts at 4 other locations.

Once done, I vacuumed up the area and stacked all my packed totes, grill, portable dish, ladder and more onto the tray. Looks and works great!

Time will tell how it holds up and how I like it in the long run - but already, I am pleased with it's utility value.

Jim

On edit 13-Nov-2006:

Added as the last attached image is a picture of the safety pin that I made around the end of the summer. The rectangular aluminum block handle for my slide-out tray had a vertical hole (5/16") drilled in it for a safety pin as used on another model tray. Using a 1/4-20 die, I threaded the ends of a short piece of 1/4" aluminum rod. I added a handle, using a lock washer and a jam nut to one end. On the floor of the storage area, I drilled a hole inline with the hole in the tray handle. I added a bolt with a fender washer through the bottom of the floor, then up into the storage area with a flat and lock washers and into a threaded rod nut (joiner piece).

Before we get underway at the end of each trip, I drop my safety pin through the tray handle and give it a turn. Viola! Worked out pretty well.

Attachments

• slide-out_tray_frame.JPG
    slide-out_tray_frame.JPG
    254.6 KB · Views: 688
  • slide_out_tray_installed.JPG
    slide_out_tray_installed.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 664
  • slide-out_tray_door-side.JPG
    slide-out_tray_door-side.JPG
    166.1 KB · Views: 869
  • slide-out_tray_off-door-side_1.JPG
    slide-out_tray_off-door-side_1.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 863
  • slide-out_tray_off-door-side_2.JPG
    slide-out_tray_off-door-side_2.JPG
    212.8 KB · Views: 568
  • slide-out_tray_off-door-side_3.JPG
    slide-out_tray_off-door-side_3.JPG
    215.7 KB · Views: 1,387
  • slide-out_tray_safety_pin.jpg
    slide-out_tray_safety_pin.jpg
    576.7 KB · Views: 595
Last edited:

BluegrassMan

Tray Installation

Hi Jim:

When I took out the Lippert tray that was damaged, I noticed that Heartland had put the tray on 2 rails made of wood look vinyl covered MDF. It probably came from cabinet trim. Anyway the frame of the tray was riding on the rails. I thought that it would be because of clearance to get out the door.

When I installed the new tray, I sat it in the space and worked it to see if there was a clearance problem. NONE ! So I tightened it down right against the mat. It just clears, a little is as good as a mile to me. NOW I don't have the Maple look rails between the black and gray. I guess I'm too ANAL but that bugged me.:cool:

Denny

jbeletti

Denny,

I was considering covering the sides of the balusters used for my build-up frame with the rubber mat material but it would be a lot of work for so little visual gain and zero functional gain. Because they are deck railing balusters, they are green pressure treated. If it bugs me over time, I can give it a couple coats of gray semi-gloss to match the rubber mat.

For now, I am SO happy with having the tray. Now that I am all organized in the basement, I almost hate to hit the scales. I am sure I have added weight since my first loaded weigh when I first got the trailer. :eek:

On an unrelated note, I have a work trip to South Bend, IN this week so I am taking my trailer with me and dropping it at an RV repair facility near the factory for some warranty work. My one year warranty is up at the beginning of April and since I won't be using the trailer between now and then, I wanted to get it in and get some things tweaked while I am covered.

Take care,

Jim

phranc

Jim.. I noticed a round PVC tube fastened to the top of your storage compartment ,is that for a fold up ladder or sewage tube ? Very nice installation.. Oh yeah ,and the brackets that hold the tube, are they a stock home depot/lowes item or something special ?

jbeletti

phranc,

The tube is an EZ-Hose Carrier from Camping World. It's the long one. I am using it for a long sewer hose. The tube I.D. is large enough that I can keep the sewer collar on it all the time. The mounting flange on each end as well as the end caps with tethers come with it - fully assembled. You can make one much, much cheaper using stuff from the home improvement stores if you can find all the parts you like. I did look once too but didn't find all that I'd need. Rather then drive to several stores, I went the easy route and got this unit all ready to roll!

Ideally, I'd like to relocate this to underneath the trailer to keep all dampness (and potential yuck!) out of the storage area. I do rinse my hose out well before putting away but let's not kid - it isn't really sanitized! And when you're in line at the dump, you don't have time to let it drip dry all the way. On the off-door-side of the tube mount, I dropped it down using a piece of scrap wood (1-1/4" square) from the build-up frame from the storage tray. This way it has some slope to it and will drain. If need be, I will place a towel on the floor of the compartment.

Funny you mention the ladder. I have considered putting a folding ladder in one of these tubes. But I ended up getting a 7 foot folding ladder and it is too long for the longest EZ-Hose Carrier. Though I could make my own I guess. Would need a special end with holes for draining. Not sure if you can see it but I have the ladder all folded up on the sliding storage tray toward the front.

Jim

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

HI Jim
Well speaking of ladders, I wanted to mount mine on the side of the basement wall. The problem was I could not find any brackets that would wrap around the ladder, and a piece of PVC would have to be 5" I.D. I ended up buying a set of antenna mounts from the hardware store. They have to be flatened out on the center section and opened just a little to accept the ladder. I mounted these to the front side of the basement, they could be mounted the the aluminum frame work up top. The ladder slides in and out when needed and stays in place while on the road.

Tom of Ypsi

Jim, Just talked to Slidemaster and they have reworked their slide like you have so now the bed is 3" high. This should clear the door frame now. My question to you is, have you been satisfied with your slide and do you wish you got a 30" instead of a 24"? The 24" slide is $310 + shipping and the 30" slide is $365 + shipping. This is just the frame, I did not price the completed slide as I can cut my own plywood and carpet it for the other $300. These are the prices for a 90" dual slide.
To all reading this if you have this shipped to your residence it costs more for the freight charges then having it shipped to a company with a dock. The freight lines charge for the driver to handle or help handle the slide at your house.
Keith Lewis, 1-800-374-1134, is knowledgeable and helpful at Innovation Industries, Ind.

jbeletti

Hi Tom,

Yes, I am very pleased with my slide. After one season of travel (and over some really bad roads that dropped my water tank and broke my pocket door off the track), the slide tray never came loose. Toward the end of the season, I got around to making a drift-pin sort of safety pin for the unit.

I am pleased with the 24" width too. It allows me to use a standard tote and still have room on the slide deck for my collapsible ladder, bottle jack and a few other items.

The unit is mounted as far forward of the compartment as possible. The gap left between the unit and the rearward bulkhead wall is one cooler wide. Sorry no dimensions. But I store one of those large squarish coolers with the wheels and telescopic handle, a 20# LP cylinder inside a milk crate, another square milk crate with my 50 amp cord and then a long Coke crate with my water filter assembly. These are all in a long line from about the coach center out to the ODS wall.

I do have to slide the tray out the DS door to take the cooler out the ODS door. And I also slide it out when I need to crawl into that area and then work under the kitchen area behind the UDC where the pump, water heater, converter etc. are.

Love it - get it! Note though that I paid way too much for mine or yours is different.

Jim

ct0218

I ordered the slideout tray from Heartland and it is the full width of the basement doors. Dual slide, with lock on both sides. Not sure how much I paid for it, but I sure love it. Everything in the basement slides out about 5 feet or so, works perfect.

Tom of Ypsi

Jim, Thanks for the info. I am going to get the tray I just wanted to know how it was holding up. When talking to Keith at Innovative I gave him the model # you have and told him when you approximately oldered yours and he said the slide was newly redesigned maybe this is why it may be cheaper. Also the prices I quoted were without the wood and carpert.

ct0218, I have thought of the full width slide but I am not sure I want one. I think I would prefer a smaller slide for the stuff I will use more and the rest of the stuff can be stored to the side and drug out as needed. Thanks for the info though. If you do come across the price please post it for all to see.

I have the slide tray and love it. I can get to everything in the basement without unloading everything, if I want to get into the utility area all I do is run the slide out and crawl into the basement. I wouldn't use the metal slide tray with the battery compartment, you always or [almost always] have a corrosion problem with batteries. It may get to where it's almost impossble to get to slide out once they get corroded.

Last edited:

fulltimer

It appears that the cable connecting to the valve for my grey water tank #2 has come loose. Has anyone else had this problem and how hard is it to connect them together again? I thought I had seen this discussed before but was unable to lacate the post.

Fulltimer

tdharley

Pretty easy fix just tough to get to. After you locate the valve you will find that it probably just came loose out of the mount.

See my pic below. Loose the 2 bolts on the captive nuts and push back in the cable

Voila!

Attachments

• P3100153.JPG
    P3100153.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 124

Cooper

I like my slide tray in the basement of my Golden Gate. To get to the utilities area I just slide the tray out the other side or slide it out lay on it and slide in. You could drill a hole for a pinset and the tray could not move. I bet that was an experience seeing your tray out going down the road. I hope the damages where not to bad.

gawelsh

We also have the pull-out tray in our Landmark....it's VERY sturdy and has
a locking mechanism. George doesn't know what he'd do without it, as he easily slides it out to get to all the things stored dead-center, without
having to empty one end or the other of the 'basement' area. We think it's a "must have", since these basements are so huge (which is a good thing!).

Blessed

I also have the full slide out tray. I love it!!! I can get to everything from either side of the trailer. I strongly recommend it.

BluegrassMan

I got the Slideout tray in my GC, The very first time I used it, I DID NOT lock the basement doors, I just latched them. When I was turning sharp to park, the door flew open, the tray slid out hitting the spare tire of a Motorhome. It bent the tray, pulled the bottom loose. I contacted Hearland which put me in contact with Lippert, who makes the tray. They send me a new one, because the latch didn't hold for some reason. I haven't had any trouble since, Now I always lock my doors. DUH!!!!!!