Anyone using storage comparment slide-out tray?

Attaching slide to floor

Hi all,

I received my slide-out storage tray this week and installed it today after I winterized the rig.

So far, I am really impressed with the unit. It's all aluminum with steel roller bearings. It has a carpeted plywood tray.

I had to build it up 1-1/4" in order for it to clear the door frame. I tossed around several methods and materials for doing this. In the end, I kept it simple and used 1-1/4" square deck balusters from Home Depot. Using balusters of the right dimension saved me from having to rip 2x4's. I would have rather used a hardwood like oak but could not find anything suitable.

I used 2" deck screws to fasten the build-up frame to the floor (rubber deck over 5/8 decking). To fasten the slide-out tray bottom frame to the build-up frame and floor, I used 3-1/2" bolts with flat washers and nuts with locking nylon inserts for the 4 corners and 3-1/2" wood thread lag bolts at 4 other locations.

Once done, I vacuumed up the area and stacked all my packed totes, grill, portable dish, ladder and more onto the tray. Looks and works great!

Time will tell how it holds up and how I like it in the long run - but already, I am pleased with it's utility value.

Jim

On edit 13-Nov-2006:

Added as the last attached image is a picture of the safety pin that I made around the end of the summer. The rectangular aluminum block handle for my slide-out tray had a vertical hole (5/16") drilled in it for a safety pin as used on another model tray. Using a 1/4-20 die, I threaded the ends of a short piece of 1/4" aluminum rod. I added a handle, using a lock washer and a jam nut to one end. On the floor of the storage area, I drilled a hole inline with the hole in the tray handle. I added a bolt with a fender washer through the bottom of the floor, then up into the storage area with a flat and lock washers and into a threaded rod nut (joiner piece).

Before we get underway at the end of each trip, I drop my safety pin through the tray handle and give it a turn. Viola! Worked out pretty well.

Jim,
Do I understand that you used screws to attach the 1 1/4" balusters to the floor?
Charlie

jbeletti

Jim,
Do I understand that you used screws to attach the 1 1/4" balusters to the floor?
Charlie

Hi Charlie,

It's been 3 years since I completed that project and I no longer own that RV. I believe I screwed the balusters down with the exception of the ends, where I had access and there I used bolts, fender washers and nuts.

Loved that slide-out tray. Much more in fact than the Lippert unit I had with my last RV for 2 years.

Jim

Tom of Ypsi

The way Jim B decribed attaching the ballisters to the floor of the the basement is exactly how I did mine. I predrilled all of the holes in the ballisters to prevent splitting of the wood. I have had this for 4 years with no problems.

Thanks Jim

Hi Charlie,

It's been 3 years since I completed that project and I no longer own that RV. I believe I screwed the balusters down with the exception of the ends, where I had access and there I used bolts, fender washers and nuts.

Loved that slide-out tray. Much more in fact than the Lippert unit I had with my last RV for 2 years.

Jim

Thanks Jim,
charlie

Delaine and Lindy

Sliding Trays .....

We went to Goshen to have a sliding tray installed but in the end we had them build us a 5th wheel around it :D. Every time I use the sliding tray I can't believe we didn't have one before. Our bike roll into the basement beside the tray, so we couldn't use a larger tray. We also have a sliding battery tray, very hand when you need to get to the battery's. I don't really see how a person would have a problem with it getting loose unless you forgot to store it properly. However I do have a system to secure ours. All I did was close the tray in the tray traveling position, and drilled a hole thru the side of the tray and now I just insert a locking pin thru the tray and its impossible for it to move. I highly recomend the tray, the sliding tray has a 400 lb capacity. And yes I have seen several trays with a fridge siting on them. We had though about installing a fridge on our tray but we have plenty of space in the 4 door fridge. GBY.......

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
I have a kwikee slide for my generator, as Jim has seen it. The kwikee has a lock on the slide and it has a hole in it so you can put a cotter key or bolt which ever you want to use to hold it in place. Personally I have not used either one and have never had it slide out on me My 2cents worth

ankie3467

Since these responses are a couple years old, just checking----Does Heartland offer this sliding system? We have to do something! Whatever you need is in the center, so have to unload everything to get what you need. Anybody got any ideas?? Would love to hear them.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I'm not sure if you can get one installed from the fsctory. I bought mine from from Tweety's.com a couple of years ago and installed it myself.

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
yes tweetys is the place to get one at great prices

jbeletti

Since these responses are a couple years old, just checking----Does Heartland offer this sliding system? We have to do something! Whatever you need is in the center, so have to unload everything to get what you need. Anybody got any ideas?? Would love to hear them.

We used to offer these with the Landmark as an option when ordering your coach. It was a little ordered option so it was discontinued. If someone were to order a new coach and insist on it, we could likely install it at the time of the build. In that case, it would most likely be a Lippert sliding tray. I have used both the SlideMaster and Lippert trays and I personally prefer the SlideMaster system. Likely more costly, but built very solidly and it can be ordered in a variety of lengths, widths and materials. SlideMaster is by Innovation Industries. Here's their website.

Kwikee also makes sliding trays and some owners have made their own from wood and heavy duty full extension drawer glides.

Jim