ATF: Big Country - Few Questions before Delivery

Buying a new 3691KS

1. Can you buy additional tv brackets to use a different tv on the basement bracket?

2. When I look at the tires on this brand new unit 235-80-16, there combined weight rating is far less than the GVWR and only slightly above the campers empty weight?

This concerns me due to a blow out on our existing 5th wheel due to a similar reasoning.

3. The dealership is checking, but the air from the AC units was blowing air through the ducts but little to no air was coming out the vents? The vents did not seem to grab the air. Is this a common issue?

Thanks

danemayer

Hi cummins2500hd,

Congratulations on your new BC and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

On the brackets question, you might do better to call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. Ask for the parts department.

On the GVWR and tire load rating, keep in mind that the weight is divided between the wheels and the pinbox. The spec (before any options or any of your stuff) puts 2060 pounds of the 15,500 GVWR on the hitch. The remaining 13,440 of the GVWR is on the axles/wheels/tires. When fully loaded, the pinbox weight usually goes up; probaby 400-500 pounds. If the weight were evenly distributed (it never is), each wheel would be carrying around 3,250 pounds. With 3 slides on the off-door-side, the rear wheel on that side is probably carrying a little more; the other side a little less. When fully loaded, you should have some margin, but not a lot. So make sure your tires are inflated to the max cold pressure stamped on the sidewall (before they heat up from driving). Keep speed reasonable. Most trailer tires are rated for a max of 65mph. Increased speed builds more heat and heat kills tires. Decreased speed gives you additional safety margin.

On the A/C, if your unit has a main air dump at the large ceiling grill, closing it will direct more air to the remote vents. Our owner-written Heating and Cooling Guide has additional tips.

Theresau

In regard to #2 - we upgraded our tires to Goodyear G rated - strongly suggest this.

#3 - in regard to AC's. I assume this means you have a bedroom AC - what year is your new coach? Bedroom ACs are now fully ducted and full profile in BC's. These will cool the living area as well - you should be able to feel something in the living area when the bedroom is only on - naturally it won't be a real strong flow. Our bedroom AC does not have a cooling air dump like our living room does. Yes, if the living area AC is on and it's dump is open you will not get a large flow of air as it is coming out in the dump area.

I strongly suggest that you get the AC issues corrected. Our BC is about 7 weeks old and we are concerned about our front AC it just doesn't cool well. The bedroom AC does cool well but the bedroom AC had a vibration problem which turned out to be a broken fan.

In regard to #1 we put in a TV mount in the basement from Costco (used this mount in the bedroom too). The TV is 26" - works well we can push TV back flat against the wall and then extend the TV out far enough to allow the mount to be moved to a 90 degree angle so that the TV can be viewed.

Buying a new 3691KS

1. Can you buy additional tv brackets to use a different tv on the basement bracket?

2. When I look at the tires on this brand new unit 235-80-16, there combined weight rating is far less than the GVWR and only slightly above the campers empty weight?

This concerns me due to a blow out on our existing 5th wheel due to a similar reasoning.

3. The dealership is checking, but the air from the AC units was blowing air through the ducts but little to no air was coming out the vents? The vents did not seem to grab the air. Is this a common issue?

Thanks