ATF: Bighorn - 2014 Bighorn Axel Lubrication

GregBassine

I have a 2014' 3260EL Bighorn.

I can't find anything out with respect to lubricating axle wheel bearings. Are the ones I have the kind you never have to mess with? If not, what is the name of my wheel bearing, and what is the lubrication schedule? Thank you.

GregBassine

I can't find anything out with respect to lubricating axle wheel bearings. Are the ones I have the kind you never have to mess with? If not, what is the name of my wheel bearing, and what is the lubrication schedule? Thank you.

Sorry for posting twice. The first time I did it, it sent me to a page which said "Invalid Indirect", so figured it didn't go through the first time.

danemayer

Re: ATF: Bighorn - 2014 Bighorn Axle Lubrication

Hi Greg,

You probably have Dexter axles with EZ-Lube zerks. Some people use the EZ-lube to lubricate the bearings, but because it's possible to blow out the inner seal and pump grease into the brakes, I think most of us don't use EZ-lube.

There is a maintenance schedule in your trailer manual - it's on page 18 of the 2015 manual.

We also have a number of Dexter publications, including their maintenance information, in this folder.

lynndiwagoner

First off I would look under the rig at the axles and identify what type they are, there should be a label on them. I imagine that they are Dexter 7000lb axles. I've not seen any bearings that you don't have to mess around with at some point and if you've not done anything to them since 2014 it might be wise to have them serviced soon. If you can't service them yourself I would take it to a RV place that can do them. Soon....

MikeR

Besides checking your wheel bearings, you're probably overdue, you should also be checking your shackles and bushings, that attach your leaf springs to your frame.

jnbhobe

I don't trust self adjusters, but that's just me. I have disc brakes so I don't have to worry any way.

sengli

I have the same unit you have. They axles are dexter . You need to manually repack your bearings officially every year. I dont put alot of miles on my coach, so I do mine every two years. I would not accept that grease zerk on the axle, as a repack method. On my previous coach the dealer used the grease zerk, and I found my brakes completely coated with grease as the axle seal had failed under grease pressure. You can go ut to dexter axles website for any questions on these units.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I would not accept that grease zerk on the axle, as a repack method. On my previous coach the dealer used the grease zerk, and I found my brakes completely coated with grease as the axle seal had failed under grease pressure.

I keep wondering why they continue to make the EZ Lube zerks since they tend to damage the wheel bearings when used. :confused:

GregBassine

Thank you all for your feedback, guess I had better get the rig to a shop. We're heading to the National Rally on Oct. 1st from our home here in Oregon. See those attending there to thank personally,

Greg

I keep wondering why they continue to make the EZ Lube zerks since they tend to damage the wheel bearings when used. :confused:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Thank you all for your feedback, guess I had better get the rig to a shop. We're heading to the National Rally on Oct. 1st from our home here in Oregon. See those attending there to thank personally.

See you there . . . we arrive on Wednesday Site #125.

BigGuy82

My selling dealer advised a repack every 8 to 10k miles. I'm conservative - I did it at a little over 5k. I do keep track of mileage on the coach - more reliable than time. A few bucks for a repack is, to me, extremely cheap insurance.

And no, I do not nor would I ever use grease fittings.

mlpeloquin

Grease fittings are great if you have a boat. My neighbor has a boat and pumps new grease every three months. You can tell when the old grease with water has finally been replace. He puts his boat in fresh and salt water. Cannot convince him to repack by hand at least once a year to inspect the bearings. On a RV the grease fittings should not be used. You really need to inspect the bearings and races. Some feel different, but safe than sorry is best.

BigGuy82

Grease fittings are great if you have a boat. My neighbor has a boat and pumps new grease every three months. You can tell when the old grease with water has finally been replace. He puts his boat in fresh and salt water. Cannot convince him to repack by hand at least once a year to inspect the bearings. On a RV the grease fittings should not be used. You really need to inspect the bearings and races. Some feel different, but safe than sorry is best.

In fact, zerk fittings on axles were designed for use in the marine industry and have no place anywhere else, which makes you wonder why engineers who should know better even put them on an RV. The purpose of a "Bearing Buddy" or any other brand of axle grease fitting is to push water out of the bearings. When the wheel is immersed in water, the grease gets contaminated and rather than taking the wheel apart frequently, you can just push the water laden grease out. Your friend who greases those bearings every three months is pushing his luck. I always err on the side of caution - every time I launched off of my trailer, I would hit the bearings with a shot of grease. Only took a few minutes.