ATF: Bighorn - bedroom slide leaks on '12 3585RL

vicrider

Since the day we bought our rig in Dec of 2011 we have had a leak coming down the wall inside the front and rear of the bedroom slide when it's raining outside. Our dealer has been more than willing to take it in and try and fix it, but it's still in the shop after 4 attemps and 6 months. Now they think they have the answer. The maker of the slide mechanism has said they need to remove the cables that open and close the slideout, heat the cables and apply a wax the maker of the slide will provide. They think it is traveling back in on the cables. They have tried various remedies. Caulked the seams on the outside of the slide, claulked behind the rubber sealers on the inside, built and installed little aluminum rain diverters under the opening of the slide on each corner down where the rollers are. I want to know if the factory uses this wax when they install the slides or are the cables supposed to impregnated with this wax when they get them, or are they just grasping for straws. I am so frustrated, I wish there was a lemon law for 5th wheels. We have used this rig a total of maybe 20 days since we bought it new.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have a 2011 3585 and have the same leak. Mine leaks on the kitchen end.
I agree that the water is running along the cable.
From the outside, if you look at where the cable runs through the rubber seal there should be a square piece of rubber glued to the seal.
If that rubber goes out on the cable when you extend the slide, out will leak. At least that has been my experience.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

vicrider

That's not been my experience so far. I have seen no rubber traveling out when the slide is going out. So Dave that is the only time it leaks, and no problem with the front end of the slide? Did it start right from the day you bought it and did the dealer address the problem?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I prefer to do all the work myself if I can
This rig is almost two years old and has never gone back to the dealer.
I don't know when it started to leak, but I saw it, diagnosed it and took care of it.
I have attached pics of the rubber block. One is showing the rubber in the correct position and one where the rubber came out with the slide.

Peace
Dave

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1339883960564.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1339883960564.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 147
  • uploadfromtaptalk1339884184380.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1339884184380.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 147

cashb

Our bedroom slide leaks also, same place. Cookie, maybe I missed it, but how did you fix this?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
All I do is make sure the little rubber pads are in place against the rubber wipe.

Peace
Dave

vicrider

The rubber pads on ours are fixed against the rig and don't come loose as yours shows in the photo, so that doesn't seems to cause the problem on ours.

K

karykatz

Scott,

I will have Customer Service contact you directly.

vicrider

Kary, I really, really appreciate your assistance. Do you need my cell or do you have it from my profile? You know the service manager at the dealer where we bought it has apparently talked to the factory a number of times from what he's told me.......

Thanks again,

Scott

donr827

Scott, let us know what you find out from customer service. I have the same setup on my bedroom slide. When looking at it on our first camping trip I wondered about water running down the cable if you were a little off level. I also am not sure about a cable running through the slide seal is a good design but I am not a engineer.
Don

vicrider

Ian from HL customer service was attentive and interested in solving the problem. He seems to think the wax Norco has provided to my dealer/service people will solve the problem. He was also very concerned about some of the sloppy caulking done on the outside of the wiper seals, that my dealer did. Didn't want their product out there looking messy so has authorized my dealer to remove the wiper seals they gooped up and install new ones.
Still need to see if the wax solves the problem though. I'll keep you updated in this thread. Should be getting it back soon hopefully.