ATF: Bighorn - Bighorn 3185RL Left side Slide-out

millenma

I have just started to see a few ripples in my slide-out down by the trim that meet fiberglass and the metal skirt. I pulled the trim off today and found water from the tires and road was getting up to the wall soaking in I did not find any sealer behind the metal skirt to stop water from getting in. Is this normal way of putting the side together? I attached four pictures that I hope this helps to explain better.

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 277
  • Slide2.JPG
    Slide2.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 282
  • Slide3.JPG
    Slide3.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 275
  • Slide4.JPG
    Slide4.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:

millenma

Well here's an update I call the factory on 09/18/2013 and sent them this information and pictures they called me back today and said they could not help me with this problem. I told them I believe this is a design flaw with water getting up to the outer sidewall from behind the finder skirt. I think this is POOR service for their problem I am looking for a new RV next year looking at the Redwood RV looking better now.

sengli

You do know the redwoods are made by THOR, which owns heartland dont you? We recently looked at the redwoods too, we thought they looked great!

millenma

Well here is an update have not gotten any help from HEARTLAND on there problem. My neighbor is buying a toy hauler he saw my problems and talked him out of a Heartland now ordering a Double Tree RV and just ordered a new F450

mslater

So sorry about your problem, pretty scary when large structual things aren't addressed by the factory

supernan1414

We have the same unit you do, I just looked and no rippling, but we don't travel with it very much. I decided to reply to this post because we found a bracket laying on the ground on both sides when we closed the slides to close up our seasonal site. They had rusted and just dropped off. Our unit was built in June 2010 and I think the screws used should have been a better quality. With out these brackets the outside wall of the slide would flap, I would think that would add to the issue you are having. Our unit probably has 3000 miles on it. Few local trips, 3 years to camp and back (65 miles) and one trip to Fl. I will now be concerned if and when we run in the rain.