ATF: Bighorn - Kitchen Sink fell down

My Kitchen sink in my Bighorn 3610 has fell down, come loose from the counter top. I can't figure out how to fix it. I can't see a bracket missing only a nut that comes thru the rim with nothing around it. I ve tried RV dealers and home improvement centers. I know there is a thin amount of glue but surely something else has to hold up a double stainless steel sink. they are too heavy for that. Will someone please help me. My Wife is mad cause I can't wash the dishes.

jimtoo

Hi BigDaveinNC,

That has happened to a lot of the folks. Just need to clean edge of sink and bottom of cabinet to get the sealer off. Go to one of the big box stores and you can get some clips to hold up the sink.

Jim M

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Before you add the clips as Jim referred to, after cleaning both the sink and underside of the counter top apply a good bead of silicone to help glue the sink in place.

Peace
Dave

billyjoeraybob

South Carolina Chapter Leaders-Retired
I had this happen in our Sundance and fixed it with cheap L brackets that I bent to fit //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/48578-The-dreaded-dropping-sink?highlight=

happykraut

Before you add the clips as Jim referred to, after cleaning both the sink and underside of the counter top apply a good bead of silicone to help glue the sink in place.

Peace
Dave
That's the way to do it. I would never trust the clips without the silicone glue.

'Lil Guy'

Hi BigDaveinNC,

That has happened to a lot of the folks. Just need to clean edge of sink and bottom of cabinet to get the sealer off. Go to one of the big box stores and you can get some clips to hold up the sink.

Jim M

I think I would get an attitude if my sink fell out.lol Is this really happening to a lot of rigs? If so, I guess I'll start doing preventive maintenance on my kitchen sink.
I'm going to look at how it's installed and see if there is some way to reinforce it. If anyone has already done it, what did you use?

jbeletti

I think I would get an attitude if my sink fell out.lol Is this really happening to a lot of rigs? If so, I guess I'll start doing preventive maintenance on my kitchen sink.
I'm going to look at how it's installed and see if there is some way to reinforce it. If anyone has already done it, what did you use?

Frank, in 11 years of production - I've read about this happening maybe 2 dozen times. So that's out of over 100,000 RVs built. Certainly there's more than the 2 dozen we've read about on the forum but my point is - it's a super low percentage. No consolation to anyone who's had it happen but just putting it into perspective.

Go ahead and take a look/feel under the perimeter of your sink for your own peace of mind.

My friend and I both have 3610 Big Horns. We had to support our sinks with additional brackets to hold them in place. Must be more common than we were led to believe.

'Lil Guy'

Jim, I'm certainly not worried about losing the kitchen sink.lol Zero issues to date including PDI and I doubt if my sink is going to fall out. Really loving this new rig.
But, if my sink ever falls out, I now know how to fix it thanks to this forum.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Mine would have fallen out but I saved it with some new fasteners. But never found any that I really liked. So the last time I I fixed it, I fixed it for good. Took the counter top off and removed the sink and faucet. Cleaned it all up and using silicone and some blocks of 1/2 inch plywood cut into different shapes and remounted it. Then remounted the counter top. It has not moved since. The issue is that the mounting brackets that they use are not really made for this application. They should just go to some waist plywood and longer screws.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My BH3670 was missing the two clips in the front of the sink and I started noticing a small amount of water dripping into the cabinet in 2010. I obtained clips from HL (the clips are cheap, but the S&H will take your breath away) and installed them. Seems there were holes in the wood substructure for the screws, but no clips. After securing, I ran a bead of clear silicone around the top of the sink where it meets the countertop. Hasn't leaked since. Ideally, for the double bowl stainless steel sink, there should be six clips. Two in front, two in back, and one at either end. Depending on your floorplan, you may be able to reach them by removing cabinet drawers, the sponge drawers under the sink, or the end of a cabinet. In the 3670, this was doable, using screwdriver extensions on a magnetic nut driver to reach them.

2psnapod2

The problem that I had was that the thin metal clips would bend. And I wanted something that was not going to give.

Birchwood

This happened to us in our Landmark from the get go and that was 6 years ago.Repaired it with the proper clamps or brackets
and has been stable since.Each year the silicone caulking has to be replaced to keep the sink looking new.

2psnapod2

This happened to us in our Landmark from the get go and that was 6 years ago.Repaired it with the proper clamps or brackets
and has been stable since.Each year the silicone caulking has to be replaced to keep the sink looking new.

What clamps did you use, and where did you get them?

RoadJunkie

After your sink repair, using angle brackets, don't travel with the sink covers in place. They are somewhat heavy and stress the sink mounts.

Birchwood

oh just used the same clamps but installed them properly.

- - - Updated - - -

We just reinstalled the same brackets but did a better job than factory I guess.We always travel with sink covers in place ,not sure why but that's what we do.

the back side of my sink had strips of wood glued to the underside of the countertop that had the clips screwed into .the problem was the clips were installed with screws longer than the width of the wood strips so the point of the screw pushed the glued wood loose. had to silicon sink to counter and add a support of the floor to back underside of sink and redo all the side and front clips

Cholo

I was thinking when I buy my 5th wheel, I would hope this would happen so I can put in a different sink, if possible?!

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
Put us down for our kitchen sink falling in our 2013 BH3670, releasing from the middle almost drooping. Not looking forward to doing this repair, but I know it needs done. <sigh>

Birchwood

That happened to us in our second year of ownership of our Landmark and then a miracle happened I got it right and its been stable for the last 5 years.