leaky undermount kitchen sink (twice)

CeeCee99

My undermount kitchen sink leaked all the way around shortly after I got the unit. Dealer fixed it a week ago, started leaking again this weekend. I hate this thing. It also is not counter height and hurts my low back when leaning over to wash dishes. Anyone do a mod to get it the right height? Or to support it better so the caulk won't pull free?

jbeletti

I suggest you inspect what the dealer did to seal it. Can you tell if the sink is pulling away from the counter?

Look underneath for metal clips that are screwed into the underside of the counter top and lap over the edge of the sink. Something I also like to do is seal the top edge sink where it meets the counter top from the top side - inside the sink.

When you say "It also is not counter height...", are you saying the sink is lower than you prefer, yet it is in fact mounted in the counter top? Maybe what you mean is the counter tops are lower than you prefer or lower than standard - like in a home? If the latter is the case, that's a difficult fix except for sinks in an island where technically, the island could be raised.

Remeron

We found that our rig had similar issues from the factory - the lack of caulking used to seal the seam where the sink met the counter top. I went under the sink and tightened the straps and screws before we sealing the entire sink myself.

wdk450

I don't know if your leak is from the plumbing (most common cause is the sink seal to the plumbing leaking) or slop over the top edges of the sink. Either way, I like RVers GOOP rubberized adhesive/sealant available in the RV section of most WalMarts. My sink hasn't leaked again in the 5 years I have owned (and extensively used) the Bighorn since I used Goop on the sink seals (both sinks).

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
There should be at least six "clips" supporting the double basin sink. Two in front, two in back, and one on each side. Caulking alone will not do it for long. The photo shows what the clips look like. You can get them from Heartland (shipping is more than they're worth), or try a plumbing supply house. Several of us have experienced the faulty, missing clip installation, repairing it ourselves. In my case, the ones for the front were missing, even though there were holes in the wood for them. The other source of undersink leaks is the drains. Make sure they are snug.

View attachment 30300View attachment 30301View attachment 30302