ATF: Bighorn - satellite cable access

I want to use the prewired satellite cable for a roof mounted feed through for my Traveler Dish Antenna. I opened the access plate above the bed but it was filled with foam. Do I need to clean out that foam to find the RG-6 cable?

danemayer

Hi nuckolhead,

A number of owners have done this install so I'm sure one will jump in shortly with an answer.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
If it is loose foam pieces remove them and probe towards the front of the trailer for 2 RG6 white cables, a black control cable with a connector, and possibly a white and red or white and yellow power wire. You will need to use the 2 RG6 cables and the black control cable.

pegmikef

My BH roof cable access is in the udc and bedroom closet. I don't use it as I just hook my tailgater up in the udc. The blank panel in the ceiling is just covering part of foam insulation like for an option that wasn't used. It is not loose foam.

SeattleLion

The foam is probably loose. The cables are under the plate in the ceiling. They are coiled up there which makes it pretty hard to get out, but you can do it. Carefully pull them out. There are two RG6 cables, 1 remote cable for the Trav'ler control box, and one more 12 VDC cable (for other brands, I guess). The easiest way to manage this is to get the cables pulled out and down into the bedroom. Then you can drill up from the ceiling through the roof. That can be a pilot hole and then you can use that to make a larger hole in the roof. Once you have the hole, carefully pull the cables through the roof (I suggest pulling them all the way. If you have extra, just coil it). The Trav'ler comes with a special plate to cover the hole in the roof. After we got the cables out, I used some canned foam to fill the hole in the ceiling and then just screwed the plate back.

The roof cables terminate in the UDC. There are two pairs of F-connectors. One is for the LR and one for the BR. A simple jumper between them is needed to get the roof signal to the receivers. It is a pretty simple process. Be sure to use lots of caulk in the roof hole and under the cable plate.