ATF: Bighorn - Summerizing a Bighorn to be left in Yuma

We are leaving our Bighorn in AZ. Do we leave water in our grey and black tanks?
What tire pressure do you leave? We would love to hear any suggestions about summarizing.
Thanks Ted and Carol Tymchuk
Leduc, Alberta. Yuma, Arizona

2005 Duramax, 2010 Bighorn 3385

brianharrison

Hello Ted and Carol,

Congrats on being in Yuma over the winter - the winter in Leduc has been nasty this year; my parents are in Leduc.

Regarding your trailer, I would leave water in a couple of buckets throughout the trailer to help maintain a humidity throughout the hot summer. Leaving water in the grey and black tanks is not a requirement - there should not be any deterioration of the tanks with or without water in them. Make sure they are as clean as possible before you leave them or they will smell terrible (when you flush toilet) when you come back in the fall. I have left mine full of clean water to prevent the odors from accumulatiing in a vapor space.

I assume you are leaving your unit on a permanent RV site. Others I know have ordered and installed an RV cover to help protect the unit from excess heat or UV damage while leaving them for the summer - ADCO (link) is one supplier and you can buy off Amazon (link) or Camping World and have it shipped.

There is an option to put your coach in RV indoor storage in Yuma - there are a couple of places out by the airport (east side of town). Here is one --> Link to Yuma Indoor RV storage. This is what I would do - instead of leaving it in the park with a cover.

Tire pressure can be left as is - there should be no issues with ambient temperature levels. As long as they don't go flat :). EDIT - Wheel covers (Amazon Link) to protect tires from UV is imperative. Note they are sized for wheel OD. 235/80/16 are about 31" OD.

Hope this helps.
Brian

Last edited: